• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

state parks?

neoinarien

imported post

correct me if im wrong, but it's illegal to OC in state parks such as kettle moraine, devil's lake, etc?

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here are th guidelines for state "Parks."

29.089Hunting on land in state parks and state fish hatcheries.
(1) Except as provided in sub. (3)
, no person may hunt or trap on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries.

(2) Except as provided in sub. (3)
, no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

(3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game in a state park, or in a portion of a state park, if the department has authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state park, or in the portion of the state park, and, except as provided in s. 29.063 (5)
, if the person holds the approvals required under this chapter for hunting that type of game.

In a state park you would have to carry your gun unloaded and encased. However Kettlemoraine in general is a state forest therefore it's not subject to the above ruling, yet the kettle moraine state forests may still have some other specific state forest rules that I'm unlear of. Devil's lake IS a state park though and it would confine you to carrying encased and unloaded.

Ben

soulless

imported post

i hunt in the southern kettle moraine state park and i always OC whether I am in the parking lot or in the woods. I haven't come across any DNR officers yet. I may have to call just to make sure.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What do you mean SOuthern Kettle Moraine state "Park? Kettle Moraine is a State forest.... not a state park theres a big difference when talking about firearms in regards to parks or forests. So you should be fine open carrying there, unless they have forest specific rules "deemed' by the state. I hunt southern kettlemoraine too! :) mainly coyotes and rabbits. Maybe I'll have to indulge in some coyote hunting with my WASR one of these coming up weekends at the southern kettle moraine.

Try to remember for future reference the statute I stated above is for state parks, those are the general blanket regulations when it comes to the parks. The state forests have no real general firearm rules specific to them. Unless it is posted in the hunting regs or inthe state forest. i.e much of the north side of zz in the kettle moraine southern unit is closed to firearms I believe, not totally sure though. But if a state forest does have regulations regarding firearms they are usually put on signs in the parking areas or along the road.

Hope this helps,

Ben