• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped in Tillicum for Foxhole and Library Visit

Tacitus42

Had my 13yo son with me. Oc'ing my Taurus 24/7. First stop The Foxhole. Halfway through store had a few items picked out when a heavyset lady approaches. "Is that loaded" ? Me "I'm just following state law." Her "We don't allow loaded firearms in the store." Me " I'll just spend my money somewhere else," I guess you dont't mind losing the business?" Her "Not really."
As a Navy vet, this place really galls me. They have huge murals on the front of their store with the emblems of all the branches of our military. Above the emblems it says something to the effect of " We honor the service of our military." I'll follow up with owner if i can, notholding my breath.
Second stop Tillicum Library. Sure enough large sign on front door states "No Firearms on Property" Called The library asked why the sign? Was told by the manager that this has come up before and since they shared the building with Tillicum Community Center that the center has the right to deny firearms. She gave me number to the community center. Phone died before i could call. Will call Monday and find out if it is a government entity. I did find out that through City of Lakewood they get federal block grants from Dept. of Housing and Urban Development.
Last stop Harry Todd Park. Walked down to dock fisherman says as we walk by " That guys ready to blow someone away"! Just gave him a glance . Then 3 kids on scooters probably around 11 yo came over asked about my sidearm. Nicest encounter of day.
Earlier stopped at Walmart, Fred Meyers, QuanticoTactical, and Surplus Guns and Ammo. No problems.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Good, just remember one step at a time and usually the hardest one is the first one.

Keep moving forward and as you know there are many here that are more then willing to give a helping hand.

decklin

I have been trying to reach the owner of the Foxhole for two weeks now. The same thing happened to me and my friend. The cashier said she didn't know why people needed a loaded gun in the store anyway.
I told her the people in the Reno IHOP probably thought the same thing.
I posted about it in the south sound report.
I have called multiple times. It really bothers me especially since I have spent a crazy amount of money there over the last few years. This was the first time anyone said something to me.

amzbrady

I have been trying to reach the owner of the Foxhole for two weeks now. The same thing happened to me and my friend. The cashier said she didn't know why people needed a loaded gun in the store anyway.
I told her the people in the Reno IHOP probably thought the same thing.
I posted about it in the south sound report.
I have called multiple times. It really bothers me especially since I have spent a crazy amount of money there over the last few years. This was the first time anyone said something to me.

Maybe with the war pictures she is advertising, someone who is a veteran should stop in, and when she ask's that question, they can tell her that, that is what they fought for, the freedom to carry.

Tacitus42

Thank You Gentlemen. Decklin I had read had what happened to you, I stopped in there specifically because of that.

TechnoWeenie

Been in there a few times OC'ing, even had assistance, not a word was said about it.

jbone

As a Navy vet, this place really galls me. They have huge murals on the front of their store with the emblems of all the branches of our military. Above the emblems it says something to the effect of " We honor the service of our military." I'll follow up with owner if i can, notholding my breath.

It's amazing what some store owners will do to make a buck, this maybe a Patriotic front to entice others to spend all their not so mighty dollars. I’ve never been there, so I don't know, but you never know this day’s!

I guess you could go back and let them know the murals and emblems misrepresent their true feelings, and request they be taken down out of respect for VETS all across America.

Tacitus42

Called the Foxhole today owner was there. was told he would call me back . 20 minutes later the manager called said they had talked about it and for their safety open carry is not allowed in store. She said with soldiers shooting people they want to protect themselves. Also she didnt want people trying out their holsters with an open carried firearm. Also kids in the store reason. I talked to her about ten minutes gave her some info asked her to reconsider she said she would look into open carry and talk to owner. As of now she said just conceal and we wont know. Yeah right.
Also talked with someone at the community center in Tillicum where the library is housed. She sid they were a " semi-private business" and a " non profit" and the building was owned by a unelectable board of directors. Im at a loss at what to do next. Here is their info on the Lakewood Chamber of Commerce. Seems kinda sketchy. http://lakewood-chamber.com/node/1541

Last edited:

decklin

You probably spoke to the woman I talked to on the phone. Every time I call the owner is mysteriously unavailable.
The woman said the same thing to me about loaded firearms and trying out holsters. I had suggested changing the policy to requiring firearms to be unloaded only for those wishing to check for holster fit.
This bit about soldiers shooting people is infuriating. They have lost all future business from me and my friends.

reillo584

This bit about soldiers shooting people is infuriating. They have lost all future business from me and my friends.

Remember our predecessors the Vietnam Vets... They were chastised and blame by the media and most of the "sunshine and rainbow people" who didn't have a clue of the dirty nature of war... Hopefully I'm wrong in all this but if things keep going the way that are going we need to be prepared (mentally) for something like that... (in a minor scale of course)

TechnoWeenie

Does this answer your question?

Library details: Tillicum Pierce County Library is a Public library. This library is affiliated with Pierce County Library System

AND.......... The good stuff.....

Authority

Pierce County Library System is an independent municipal corporation established under the Revised Code of Washington 27.12.
The Library is a junior taxing district funded from a separate property tax levy.

From... Here

So, by their own admission, they're a municipal corporation, and are pre-empted. They can suck it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
<snip>She said with soldiers shooting people they want to protect themselves. Also she didnt want people trying out their holsters with an open carried firearm. Also kids in the store reason. <snip>

How does she plan on protecting themselves? Are they carrying Uzi's or wearing body armor?

If she wants she can call me at Champion Arms, I have customers who want to try holsters, I allow OC or CC and we manage it well.

Tacitus42

Thanks Techno . I understand the preemption as far as the library is concerned. The problem is they say they rent space from the building owners who run the Community Center . The no firearms sign is posted on the main bldg entrance. You have to enter main bldg before you can enter the library which is one tenant. I just dont know if the community center is a govt entity or not. i guess ill call Lakewood city hall

TechnoWeenie

Thanks Techno . I understand the preemption as far as the library is concerned. The problem is they say they rent space from the building owners who run the Community Center . The no firearms sign is posted on the main bldg entrance. You have to enter main bldg before you can enter the library which is one tenant. I just dont know if the community center is a govt entity or not. i guess ill call Lakewood city hall[/QUOTE]

Possibly...

Property records......

Tacitus42

According to tax info the library is owned by the county, they told me they rent the space. So i would assume the hallway from the main entrance to the library door would be considered public access? A whole 6 feet. Other tenants in the building share main entrance but have there own accesss once inside. I guess ill just go sit down in library and read a bit.
As far as Foxhole they should probably paint over their murals. Ill go check out other surplus store down the street.