• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stories differ in alleged road rage incident. Posted & Currying, Chuckton, SC

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/feb/17/stories_differ_alleged_road_rage_inciden30952/

The gun was dull black, and Patricia Cannon-Fisher could see straight down the barrel.

It was pointed right at her.

The man in the GMC Yukon, the one with the gun, had been trying to pass her on the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge on Friday afternoon, but the traffic was too heavy. Cannon-Fisher was in the far right lane, on her way home from work, and had considered getting into one of the left lanes to take a quick trip to Wal-Mart, but she couldn't get over.

Neither could the man in the white Yukon.

He drove up on the tail of Cannon-Fisher's Mercury station wagon as they approached the bridge's towers, then he cut into another lane, but couldn't find another open one.

"Evidently people weren't moving fast enough for him," Cannon-Fisher said.
The man ended up behind Cannon-Fisher again, and she decided to speed up — give him a lane to pass in before he ran her over.

When he pulled up beside her, she saw the gun.

"He was holding it sideways and was screaming," Cannon-Fisher recalled Saturday afternoon. "It was strange. I've never had a gun pointed at me before."
Cannon-Fisher slammed on her brakes, but the Yukon slowed down as well, keeping pace with her.

Eventually the man sped up, and Cannon-Fisher reached for the only thing she could find to write on — a foam cup — to copy the license number.

She called the police, but made it to her home, about a mile away, before she got dispatch on the phone.

By then, Cannon-Fisher had forgotten all about Wal-Mart.

On Saturday, William Grayson Ervin, a Ninth Circuit assistant solicitor, was released from the county jail on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond in connection with the Friday afternoon bout of alleged road rage. He is charged with pointing and presenting a firearm, and Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said Friday that Ervin "is no longer employed."

Ervin's attorney, Peter David Brown, told a decidedly different account of the bridge incident in bond court Saturday morning.

Brown said Ervin took off early from the Solicitor's Office on Friday to visit his mother in Myrtle Beach. She is having health problems, and Ervin was going to take care of her.

Ervin described the incident this way, according to Brown: Cannon-Fisher's car was blocking his way on the bridge, preventing him from passing. He said there was a man in the passenger seat, and both people in the car were making obscene gestures at him. When he finally pulled alongside the car, he saw the man in the passenger seat holding a gun.

Brown did not specifically say Ervin pulled out a gun. However, the warrant against Ervin said he admitted to Mount Pleasant police that he had pulled a .40-caliber Glock during the incident.

"He's really a good fellow," Brown said. "He's not a volatile individual. He knew the desired effect was to quell the situation. If he'd called the police, that would have been a good thing to do. But his first concern was his mother."

Ervin, 29, had worked in the solicitor's office since late last summer. A former Horry County Sheriff's deputy, he graduated from the Charleston School of Law last spring.
Brown said on Saturday that Ervin had authorized him to "apologize to Scarlett Wilson."

"He's sorry for any embarrassment the incident has caused her, her office or her staff," Brown said.

Ervin's defense might hinge on traffic cameras on the bridge. Brown said he was going to see if S.C. Department of Transportation cameras had captured the incident, in hopes it would show there were two people in Cannon-Fisher's car.
Cannon-Fisher said she hopes there are tapes of the incident, because it will prove she was alone — and illustrate why she was so shaken up Friday that she could barely walk.

"That would be a wonderful thing if they have tapes," Cannon-Fisher said. "That will take your legs right out from under you. I'll never forget that as long as I live."

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

lax

imported post

Obviously Ervin had places to go.How dare the pions slow his travel.I find his explanation absurd.Hopefully this a-- clown is convicted andfired. He's the poster boy the liberal mediaare looking for.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lax wrote:
Obviously Ervin had places to go.How dare the pions slow his travel.I find his explanation absurd.Hopefully this a-- clown is convicted andfired. He's the poster boy the liberal mediaare looking for.
Why would you believe the unsupported accusation of a single person over someone else?

lax

imported post

ilbob wrote:
lax wrote:
Why would you believe the unsupported accusation of a single person over someone else?

Ervin told the police he pulled his weapon. Through his lawyer he saidhe did it to"quell" the situation.What a load.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

ilbob wrote:
The cops did not establish his artful counter claim justifying his brandishing. If his employer had any faith/confidence in him they wouldn't have dropped him like the rotten apple that he clearly is.

18 y.o. @ HS graduation, +4 years undergraduate = 22, +4 years JD = 26, leaves three years for CJA, SO, bar and no time for experience as attorney. This one would be a beautiful person without calluses. He needs some on his hands and his buttocks.

jack

Banned
imported post

The guy is a fool for displaying his weapon like that. What if the other driver really was armed, he could have started an exchange . I believe he will be convicted on his foolish admission to the police. The fact that he didn't call 911 immediately says much about what really happened.

"Quell the situation " :banghead:

His attorney should be sanctioned for saying something so ignorant.

This is another great reason to have a flip in your vehicle.

kabbie1053

imported post

Sorry guys but it seems like the lawyer is telling the truth.

Much as I hate to help a lawyer I have contacted his attorney with this story..

My daughter was telling me a story yesterday about the house her boyfriend just moved out of being robbed. She said they suspected the old tenants had robbed the place. She went on to tell me a story that she had heard from the other tenants while they were all sharing a beer. Seems like the girl had called the police to some driver that had shown them his gun on the bridge. The driver had cut them off in traffic and her boyfriend had pulled his gun and was showing it to the the other driver while cursing at him thru the window. The Other driver had shaken his head and then shown that he had a gun as well. They exited the bridge, stopped at the house, the boyfriend got out of the car and she called the Mt. Pleasant police and made a complaint. The other driver had gotten arrested and the boyfriend was trying to find out where he lived so that he could go f**k up the dudes car one night..

I told her about this story and what was in the paper. She had not heard anything at all about it.:banghead:She has no idea about what is going on day to day...

I called his attorney a few min ago and left a message.

Now I am not saying that Mr Ervin did right, cause he should have called the police himself, but so far he's lost his job, been arrested, and had his law liscence revoked all because a lying woman said hePOINTED a gun..