• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Student Self-Protection

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hi.

I'm a new member to the forum here. I am also a student at Western Carolina University. I just received my CHL and I would like to know how everybody feels about CCW on North Carolina campuses after the whole VT incident. Thereis a big movement online by students to get this passed nationwide at http://www.concealedcampus.org. I have written Congressman Mark Hilton about trying to pass a law that would allow this to happen. I would like to know if this movement has gotten off of the ground in NC and if anyone has made any headway.

Thanks,

Dubccat51

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The other thing to get college students interest in is open carry - in most states, students can open carry at 18, usually no permit required.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

There is also a group on Facebook that goes along with the SCCC website. It is dedicated to spreading the knowledge of gun laws around to all students and encouraging political action. It has something like 3500 members and talks about open carry too. You'd be suprised at the number of students that do OC and also have CHP's and also the number that are interested.

packin_NC_79

imported post

It's about time we stand up to the liberal gun hating media and politicians. They only speak for a small percentage of the people in this country. Over 80% of the people in this country believe gun control is either wrong or doesn't work to prevent crime. Are we going to allow another VT like incident or are we going to equip ourselves to prevent one. No I am not a student, but I am all for the protection and defense of those who are.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

packin_NC_79 wrote:
Are we going to allow another VT like incident...

Yes, it sure looks that way. I don't see as it has tobe on a campus, though that is a distinct possibility. Our social, industrial and cultural systems don't lend themselves to preventing (or not allowing) another VTU-like incident. Except in real gun free zones.

On top of that, the bulk of the public, meaning all of the public, doesn't care enough to substantively change the security systems of university campuses. If it happens again, we'll have another look-see.