• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW VA happenings

darthmord

imported post

We will be vacationing in the SW end of Virginia over the 4th of July weekend and the following week. We are going to be camping at Smith Mountain Lake (situated between Bedford, Rocky Mount, Roanoke, and Lynchburg).

Are there any activities planned or happening in that general area that would be of interest? What would be a good spot for a 4th of July fireworks display?

Please note, I am looking for firearms and non-firearm related activities. Doesn't need to be limited to just SML either. We already know of things going on at the park from their website & talking with the staff there. We wouldn't be adverse to an OCDO dinner.

Yes, we plan on carrying too. Last year, the people in the tent across the path from us startled a burglar who ran off. We were armed then (and happy to be as well). I'm continuing to be prepared this year too.

darthmord

imported post

We're kinda enamored with SML. The week AFTER July 4th is generally very quiet at the park and we enjoy the peace & quiet.

We spent our 10th anniversary there camping (sans kids). That week felt like it was a month long. It was glorious.

I'll have to look into the park you mentioned and see about camping there in the future. I like the whole idea of peace & quiet while camping.

Thanks!