• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

target shooting permit - how to get, and how to get guns onto the island legally?

tuj

Hi fellow shooters!

I have an opportunity to move from Texas to Puerto Rico. However both my wife and I are avid target shooters and we have a decent collection of pistols and long guns. I am very confused by what I have read from all the links regarding the PR firearms license. From what I have been able to gather, there are 3 distinct types of licenses:

-the general firearms permit which allows you to own two guns and 50 rounds of ammo for said guns.

-the hunting permit, which allows you more flexibility in terms of numbers of guns and ammo.

-the target shooting permit, which allows you I think the greatest flexibility. Unlimited in terms of guns and ammo I think.

Obviously the whole '50-rounds per gun and 1 trip to the gun club a year' permit is not going to work for us. But I have had a hard time figuring out how exactly to get the target shooting permit. I understand the regular permit I think; you have to fill out some paperwork, get fingerprinted, submit two pictures, and have three unrelated folks sign a letter that you aren't violent. Pretty onerous compared with TX.... :mad:

So question 1 is: what do you have to do besides the regular permit to get 'target shooter' status?

Next, I understand you have to prove you bought your gun from a legal source. I no longer have my FFL transfer receipts for the guns I have bought, plus some I have bought face-to-face. I am considering shipping my whole firearms collection to a friend here in the states and essentially 'selling' him all my guns for $1 a piece and then at such time that I secure the proper paperwork in Puerto Rico, having him sell me my guns back at $1 a piece. Obviously I will have to pay FFL transfer fees, but this seems like the only legal way to get my guns onto the island. Is that correct?

So question 2 is: in absence of holding a firearms permit, or after you get said permit, how do you get your guns to the island?

Thanks in advance!

tuj

ha, upping the number of rounds from 50 a year to 500 a year? Wow that is awful. I shoot probably 250-500 rounds per range session.

Seems like the SCOTUS ought to apply the bill of rights and all its implicates to Puerto Rico.

So does anyone have any answers how an avid target shooter can get around these laws? I'm not looking to carry, I just want to target shoot both for practice and in competitions.

Last edited:

pkbites

So question 2 is: in absence of holding a firearms permit, or after you get said permit, how do you get your guns to the island?

The same way you'd get them if you were traveling anywhere else in the U.S.. Before you get on the plane you declare that you have a firearm(s) in your checked luggage. I went to PR last November and nobody blinked in Chicago going nor in San Juan coming back when I declared my firearm. You're going to an American territory, not Europe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
ha, upping the number of rounds from 50 a year to 500 a year? Wow that is awful. I shoot probably 250-500 rounds per range session.

Seems like the SCOTUS ought to apply the bill of rights and all its implicates to Puerto Rico.

So does anyone have any answers how an avid target shooter can get around these laws? I'm not looking to carry, I just want to target shoot both for practice and in competitions.

The bill of rights just lists rights....ex: 2nd amendment just lists a right we had even before the document was written.

Folks all over the globe have the RKBA, right to maintain proficiency with their weapons, etc.

Any less is oppression.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The same way you'd get them if you were traveling anywhere else in the U.S.. Before you get on the plane you declare that you have a firearm(s) in your checked luggage. I went to PR last November and nobody blinked in Chicago going nor in San Juan coming back when I declared my firearm. You're going to an American territory, not Europe.
Before the OP listens to the above poster, I suggest the OP read the above poster's thread (and tight lips) on the entirety of his trip.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?118927-Took-pistol-to-San-Juan-No-problems

Last edited:

pkbites

Before the OP listens to the above poster, I suggest the OP read the above poster's thread (and tight lips) on the entirety of his trip.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?118927-Took-pistol-to-San-Juan-No-problems

The OP asked how to get his firearms there once he's legal to have them there. At no time did I ID myself at either airport. The insinuation of your post is suggesting I did. I did not.

Nobody at either airport blinked when I declared I had a firearm in my checked luggage. It's not that big of a deal.