• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas officially has Open Carry

nonameisgood

I do not trust anything until i see it actually happen. Knowing Abbott, It would not surprise me if he waited until the 19th or 20th day and then vetoed it. I hope i am wrong but stranger things have happened by politicians. I mean he sent out a tweet about how great it was that it's next stop was his desk. My question is why didn't he sign it on the 2nd? Why the wait.
I am not normally a pessimist, but it just seems strange to me that he hasn't signed it yet. For now we wait.....

There were a huge number of bills passed finally in the last two weeks of the session. If I were to guess, it is in the hundreds of bills he has to sign. He needs to be sure he vetoes those needing a veto before they go into law without a signature. He also has line item veto on the budget, so I expect he is working on that, too. If nothing else, the open carry adn campus carry will simply become law without signature if he didn't get to them. BUT you know very well that his staff is making sure he gets maximum publicity for these bills. He will not be vetoing these two bills, because they are symbolic for his conservative base. That said, he may be getting pressure on campus carry from the colleges and he might flip on this. Oddly, I have a friend who just retired from 30 years as a university police officer, and he supported both of these bills. It seems to be the liberal elite in college administration who came out against campus carry.

F350

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbo View Post
--snipped--
I've had some idiots actually come up behind me and try to jiggle the grip of my holstered gun thinking its funny.

I believe in active retention holsters.

I carry a shaving sharp CRKT M16-14ZSF knife in my left front pocket, which can be opened on the draw; someone is liable to get cut deep and wide.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

I don't have much time for the ivory tower eggheads of acadamia with no grounding in reality whatsoever.

To their credit, if you saw a bunch of drunken fools running around campus, you wouldn't want to add guns to the mix.
My view is that carrying will make most people more responsible (and sober.) All of us need to promote the notion that drunk or hungover is not the best way to get a college education, and make sure that campus carrying students aren't drinking while carrying.

Glockster

To their credit, if you saw a bunch of drunken fools running around campus, you wouldn't want to add guns to the mix.
My view is that carrying will make most people more responsible (and sober.) All of us need to promote the notion that drunk or hungover is not the best way to get a college education, and make sure that campus carrying students aren't drinking while carrying.

And to their discredit, there was a lot of misunderstanding and simply not even reading the bills before some ran around complaining of drunken students in Cancun then carrying guns on campus (even though the can't until 21).

I think that all of us also need to learn about the new laws, and new requirements, and carry responsibly.

stealthyeliminator

And to their discredit, there was a lot of misunderstanding and simply not even reading the bills before some ran around complaining of drunken students in Cancun then carrying guns on campus (even though the can't until 21).

I think that all of us also need to learn about the new laws, and new requirements, and carry responsibly.

Additionally to their discredit, I believe it's already been illegal to carry under the authority of the CHL law at any time you're intoxicated, so... Sounds like they're saying that making responsible behavior legal will cause people to act irresponsibly and illegally. As per usual, they abandon all logic to reach their delus - err - conclusions..

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.

This wasn't amended by the campus carry bill, and was only amended by the OC bill to add or carried in a belt or shoulder holster after the word concealed.

The campus carry bill would not in any way, shape, form, or fashion allow students to carry handguns while intoxicated.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

It is probably valid to point out that driving while intoxicated is also unlawful, yet 25,000 people are injured and almost 2000 die as a result of drunk driving in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As I understand the new law which will go into effect 1/1/2016 neither myself or fellow Virginian's will be able to carry a holstered handgun in Texas....OC requires a recognized/accepted permit. The requirements for a Virginia CHP do not include fingerprinting which is one of the essentials under the new Texas law. Fingerprints are just not needed to provide a positive link to the applicant's history.

I am much disappointed. :(

Count

Founder's Club Member
As I understand the new law which will go into effect 1/1/2016 neither myself or fellow Virginian's will be able to carry a holstered handgun in Texas....OC requires a recognized/accepted permit. The requirements for a Virginia CHP do not include fingerprinting which is one of the essentials under the new Texas law. Fingerprints are just not needed to provide a positive link to the applicant's history.

Texas honors Virginia permits!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Texas honors Virginia permits!

It is my understanding that the new law recognizes those permits that have essentually the same requirements as those of Texas. Texas requires fingerprints, Virginia does not.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/

The ink is hardly dry - hope this gets cleared uo for us.

Count

Founder's Club Member

Glockster

It is my understanding that the new law recognizes those permits that have essentually the same requirements as those of Texas. Texas requires fingerprints, Virginia does not.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/

The ink is hardly dry - hope this gets cleared uo for us.

You're good to go Grape -- I asked this question of DPS directly myself as I am still carrying on an out of state permit (until my TX comes in the mail!) and they confirmed that Virginia permits are accepted by agreement, and no new requirements were added regarding that stuff with the OC legislation (the only additional requirement is that it specifies a shoulder or belt holster).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You're good to go Grape -- I asked this question of DPS directly myself as I am still carrying on an out of state permit (until my TX comes in the mail!) and they confirmed that Virginia permits are accepted by agreement, and no new requirements were added regarding that stuff with the OC legislation (the only additional requirement is that it specifies a shoulder or belt holster).

Wish I could find the reference to fingerprinting. It alludes me - may have misread it.

Thought I was wrong once before, but it turned out I was mistaken :lol:

Glockster

Wish I could find the reference to fingerprinting. It alludes me - may have misread it.

Thought I was wrong once before, but it turned out I was mistaken :lol:

As I understand it (confirmed by my CHL instructor this week as well) the requirement isn't about fingerprints, but is instead that the background check be conducted through NCIC and the FBI.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
Texas OC'r to be..

I have been gone a loooong time.. I moved to another state from Virgina a few years back, and now I am in MA.. But soon, I am setting my eyes on new jobs either back in my home state of Texas, or MO. Either way.. OC is coming back for me.. I miss exercising my right to carry in the open... :banana::banana:

WalkingWolf

(snip)
I've had some idiots actually come up behind me and try to jiggle the grip of my holstered gun thinking its funny. :

That has only happened to me twice, both times as a police officer. First was a woman who objected to me arresting her boyfriend. I threw him on the ground, and broke her nose. Second time a nurse in the ER grabbed it thinking it was funny, I broke her wrist. Though if I had known it was her I would have just scolded her.

I have never had anything like that as a LAC.

Last edited:

KBCraig

I have been gone a loooong time.. I moved to another state from Virgina a few years back, and now I am in MA.. But soon, I am setting my eyes on new jobs either back in my home state of Texas, or MO. Either way.. OC is coming back for me.. I miss exercising my right to carry in the open... :banana::banana:

You never went to the three states to the north? ;)