• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas officially has Open Carry

nonameisgood

stealthyeliminator

This was too good to pass up for comment:

A barbershop owner in Austin...
"And this is not a political issue for us as a business. It's a matter of the comfort of our staff, and they're not comfortable with guns in barber chairs — open carry or concealed. As they move around with scissors and reach over them with buzzers, it just doesn't mix," he says

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/15/46318...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160116

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmao! Woooow! hahaha

HPmatt

NPR news site - really would prefer my tax money not supporting this Barbra Streisand...

nonameisgood

NPR news site - really would prefer my tax money not supporting this Barbra Streisand...

KERA Dallas gave CJ Grisham airtime and they really are trying to cover the matter fairly. NPR really hasn't been on the progressive side lately.

SA-TX

Centurion
His business, his decision

This was too good to pass up for comment:

A barbershop owner in Austin...

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/15/46318...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160116

I've had my hair cut while CCing many times. If he is concerned that a nip with a razor or scissors would produce a pistol in response, that's his right although I find it absurd. Most likely his staff have trimmed carriers such me before and never knew it. Again, it is Austin and his business. That's true freedom.

SA-TX

nonameisgood

I am seeing a rash of new .06 and .07 posting go up on "that other" website. I am wondering if there is a misinformation campaign going on, or if websites for restaurant and business owners are promoting signs.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Let us know if the new ones are happening on stores/restaurants that are corporate owned outside of Texas. There very well may be corporate policies against it, or we might be able to make it so.

And there are plenty of choices that aren't posted still, right? Start voting with your wallets, and sending copies of receipts to the idiots that lost your money. They don't care about the politics or the freedoms, just the money.

nonameisgood

Let us know if the new ones are happening on stores/restaurants that are corporate owned outside of Texas. There very well may be corporate policies against it, or we might be able to make it so.

And there are plenty of choices that aren't posted still, right? Start voting with your wallets, and sending copies of receipts to the idiots that lost your money. They don't care about the politics or the freedoms, just the money.

The problem with this is that the number of open carriers is so very small that it would be meaningless. We have both the CC and antis fighting OC. As a business owner, I would rather alienate a few OCers than what is perceived to be "every mother."

I think the use of information, like the OC trifold from quednick, would go a long way toward carrot instead of stick. No one wants belligerent OCers in their place anyway.

Last edited:

qednick

The problem with this is that the number of open carriers is so very small that it would be meaningless. We have both the CC and antis fighting OC. As a business owner, I would rather alienate a few OCers than what is perceived to be "every mother."

I think the use of information, like the OC trifold from quednick, would go a long way toward carrot instead of stick. No one wants belligerent OCers in their place anyway.

The notifications do seem to have slowed down a tad for me but I think I'm only getting ones for my area (San Antonio). I think current count is maybe 400 places in the entire state of TX--many were already well-known anti-gun places that posted such as IKEA and Sprouts.

BTW Mac, I noticed Twin Peaks (that you mentioned earlier) have posted 30.07--though this may be more to do with what went down in Waco than anything else.

Anyways, I'm starting to send letters along with NG=NB cards to some of these places. See the sample letter on the NG=NB thread. The more of us that do this, the more chance we have of getting some signs down. I have a whole bunch of these cards made up and I'm willing to send some to anybody in TX that asks for them free of charge (just PM me address).

Finally, I found out yesterday that a Houston area convenience store had posted 30.06 and 30.07 then got robbed a week later. I'm going to post the news article in the TX sub-forum. I may print this article out and include with my letters to these folks.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...BTW Mac, I noticed Twin Peaks (that you mentioned earlier) have posted 30.07--though this may be more to do with what went down in Waco than anything else...

Bummer. I wondered what they might do, as they are Texas-based. Interestingly, the one here is not posted, and there are many of us that OC there frequently. After the cops opened up on the Waco location, the local one here posted a sign (still there) that motorcycle clubs are asked not to wear cuts or colors.

If you talk to Twin Peaks there, at the risk of them deciding to post stores in other states (which would suck), I wonder if it would help to let them know that we've been openly carrying in their other stores since forever. The local management there is no doubt from Texas, and this is just a new and knee-jerk reaction thing for them. I'm tempted to ask our management here to talk to them. They know how much business we bring and how we act while there. The risk is my local management getting knee-jerked into telling us we can't carry here. BTW, not only do we get to carry at ours, but we get to drink our beers while doing so. Still trying to figure out why Texans think God blessed them.

Last edited:

qednick

Bummer. I wondered what they might do, as they are Texas-based. Interestingly, the one here is not posted, and there are many of us that OC there frequently. After the cops opened up on the Waco location, the local one here posted a sign (still there) that motorcycle clubs are asked not to wear cuts or colors.

If you talk to Twin Peaks there, at the risk of them deciding to post stores in other states (which would suck), I wonder if it would help to let them know that we've been openly carrying in their other stores since forever. The local management there is no doubt from Texas, and this is just a new and knee-jerk reaction thing for them. I'm tempted to ask our management here to talk to them. They know how much business we bring and how we act while there. The risk is my local management getting knee-jerked into telling us we can't carry here. BTW, not only do we get to carry at ours, but we get to drink our beers while doing so. Still trying to figure out why Texans think God blessed them.

Perhaps we can make a coordinated effort to write around the same time. Feel free to PM me if you want to corroborate on that score--I'd hate to write them at head office here only to ruin your OC abilities at their NV locations.

On another note, we can technically have a beer while carrying in TX--but I wouldn't recommend it and it seems all CHL/LTC instructors here say not to "drink and gun, period!". Not only is OC so new that I think the sight of someone drinking and OC'ing would freak someone out, resulting in a 911 call and possibly a breath test, but there's still a lot of old timers here that really despise people drinking at all. At least twice now, I've grabbed a beer at lunchtime (not carrying or anything) in a restaurant only to have servers with a scornful eye make disparaging remarks to me such as "A beer? Already?" at like 1pm or whatever.
I didn't even know what a dry county was until I moved to Texas. When my ex-wife and I moved to Madisonville some years ago she mentioned something about it being a dry county. I was like "what the heck is a dry county?" and she told me and I was like "then why the heck did we move here?"

Next time I'm in NV I'll hit you up so we can OC and have a beer at a Twin Peaks there!

stealthyeliminator

... At least twice now, I've grabbed a beer at lunchtime (not carrying or anything) in a restaurant only to have servers with a scornful eye make disparaging remarks to me such as "A beer? Already?" at like 1pm or whatever. ...

I recommend the book Bourbon for Breakfast. You can download it for no charge, or buy a copy.

https://mises.org/library/bourbon-breakfast

As the title suggests, one of the discussions in the book is about the social perceptions surrounding consuming any amount of alcohol before some arbitrary time of day.