• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Open Carry Info Trifold/Brochure

qednick

So I put this together. Figured some may find it useful. Did it in a way that you can print if off at home to fold up and hand out if needed.

Unfortunately I had to reduce the quality of images to meet the upload requirements but they should still look OK.

Any suggestions for edits/changes welcome. Just let me know.

Mods: Any way we can make this and the TX experience threads sticky by Jan 1st??? I think TX is ready to join the OC club!

Attachments

• TX OC Trifold.pdf
    435.2 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know what universities/colleges are called in TX law, but in Ohio I think the term "institution of higher education" (or college/university) is used rather than "school" or "educational institution".

p.s - Nice brochure, btw!

Last edited:

qednick

I don't know what universities/colleges are called in TX law, but in Ohio I think the term "institution of higher education" (or college/university) is used rather than "school" or "educational institution".

p.s - Nice brochure, btw!

Thanks BB62! I think Texas covers more than just regular schools and higher education (colleges)--I'll have to double-check the statutes, or perhaps someone else can chime in on that one?

qednick

Nice looking tri-fold. Is this a draft or a final?

This does not appear to be a "busy" document. Very easy to read. I collect these in a file and I like to share them. So here is the Washington Open Carry gun rights tri-fold.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3385&d=1280151535

By the by, what do you plan to OC on "Day One" of 2A Feedom?

Thanks! I suspect there may be some changes based on input from members so not sure yet if it's a final version. I did try to keep it as simple and straight forward as possible. Obviously, I could've gone into much more detail on certain things but I wanted to cover the basics and keep it as "layman" as possible.

Yours actually looks very similar to this one!!

Not sure what I'll carry day one...possibly my Sig P220 :)

qednick

Just replaced original PDF in post #1 with one containing a couple small edits/corrections suggested to me via PM.

Stryker

Very well put together and greatly appreciated. These brochures are usually "works in progress" for some time. I hope you will be willing to share your original, editable copy should you ever decide to pass the torch.

A pet peeve of mine is the easily misread (or failure to read in its entirety) section prohibiting carry in hospitals, amusement parks, churches and government meetings. Perhaps it is too granular for a brief pamphlet, but these locations are only prohibited if the carrier is provided effective notice (30.06/30.07 signage). PC46.035 subsection (i).

I might even be so bold as to suggest removing this prohibition in the pamphlet because the effective notification requirement basically means if posted, you can't carry... if not posted, good to go. No different than private property, which most are.

I'll let each person decide if open carry is the best choice/decorum. Church is one of my big concerns. I spent a lot of time there and enough evil has historically occurred in churches for my security to be deminished.

Thanks again! Carry on!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So I put this together. Figured some may find it useful. Did it in a way that you can print if off at home to fold up and hand out if needed.

Unfortunately I had to reduce the quality of images to meet the upload requirements but they should still look OK.

Any suggestions for edits/changes welcome. Just let me know.

Mods: Any way we can make this and the TX experience threads sticky by Jan 1st??? I think TX is ready to join the OC club!
Thread has now been stickied.

Important for people to understand that OC of a handgun in Texas is not legal until Jan 1st 2016 = 00:00:01am :)

Know the laws and rules, be patient and enjoy.

qednick

Thread has now been stickied.

Important for people to understand that OC of a handgun in Texas is not legal until Jan 1st 2016 = 00:00:01am :)

Know the laws and rules, be patient and enjoy.

Thanks Grapeshot, and thanks for the reminder (rubbing it in maybe--at least for the next 14 days) :)

Very well put together and greatly appreciated. These brochures are usually "works in progress" for some time. I hope you will be willing to share your original, editable copy should you ever decide to pass the torch.

A pet peeve of mine is the easily misread (or failure to read in its entirety) section prohibiting carry in hospitals, amusement parks, churches and government meetings. Perhaps it is too granular for a brief pamphlet, but these locations are only prohibited if the carrier is provided effective notice (30.06/30.07 signage). PC46.035 subsection (i).

I might even be so bold as to suggest removing this prohibition in the pamphlet because the effective notification requirement basically means if posted, you can't carry... if not posted, good to go. No different than private property, which most are.

I'll let each person decide if open carry is the best choice/decorum. Church is one of my big concerns. I spent a lot of time there and enough evil has historically occurred in churches for my security to be deminished.

Thanks again! Carry on!

Thanks and yes those are very good points to make. I'll see how I can edit that and keep it reader-friendly and layman-like. :)

rightwinglibertarian

If I remember the statutes you can carry in some places with permission including a church. I would modify to show that as I imagine in Texas many churches would certainly allow carry

qednick

If I remember the statutes you can carry in some places with permission including a church. I would modify to show that as I imagine in Texas many churches would certainly allow carry

I believe you're correct. I just need to figure out how best to bring that across and still keep it short and direct to the point.

nonameisgood

Thanks for this! I agree with removing the confusing parts, maybe simply modify it to say, at the end of the churches, hospital sentence, "when posted with a 30.06 and/or 30.07 sign."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

I agree on maybe cleaning up the prohibited places list. IMO, I would title the list of prohibited places as "including, but not limited to" and then remove any place that must be posted, like churches and hospitals. This way you can avoid having to get super specific like "it's listed as prohibited, but then the prohibition is sort of overridden, so they have to post for it to be prohibited, like all other private property..." which would make it harder to read.

But overall very nice, and thank you! It looks good, and is easy to read.

Edit to add: Since the only people that will be legal to carry a handgun are people with CHLs or LTCs, they should already be familiar with the prohibited places anyway. So I wouldn't worry too much about the list itself, but primarily focus on clarifying that it is the same list as applies to concealed carry.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

I believe you're correct. I just need to figure out how best to bring that across and still keep it short and direct to the point.

Thanks for this! I agree with removing the confusing parts, maybe simply modify it to say, at the end of the churches, hospital sentence, "when posted with a 30.06 and/or 30.07 sign."

or......

Items above marked * do not apply if effective notice was not given under Section 30.06.

I'm disappointed the 51% bit was added as thats outside the government's remit to legislate and such behaviors should not be encouraged in the slightest. But these are the days of compromise and you either have to do it or big brother will be displeased

qednick

Really good input guys! I was thinking about this last night and figured it may be better to remove the hospitals, churches, etc. from that list completely...but then add some kind of reminder in the 30.06/30.07 section that many hospitals, churches, etc. may very well be posted. Although a TX CHL/LTC holder should know, it really just serves as a reminder plus someone from out of state may find that helpful too.

qednick

I just replaced the PDF in post #1 with updated version.

BTW, if anybody wants a higher resolution version of the PDF simply PM me with an email address. Although I think the one posted here should print OK on most home printers.

Very good point. I look forward to printing some of these out :)

Sweet! I may run a bunch out on glossy paper and stick 'em in a brochure holder in my buddy's gun shop. Might just encourage more people to OC after Jan 1st.

nonameisgood

The hospital restriction does give government-owned hospitals permission to validly post .06 or .07, right?

qednick

The hospital restriction does give government-owned hospitals permission to validly post .06 or .07, right?

I'm going to have to delve deeper into the whole issue. Apparently there's also a small hand full of "state parks" where firearms are not allowed either such as Aransas Pass.

HPmatt

Whooping Cranes don't like'em, but you can get a sandhill crane hunting license.