• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Senate Passes Guns On Campus

MainelyGlock

It'd be awesome if Maine allowed something like this.

So far, it's limited to keeping guns locked in cars, but hopefully that will transition to allowing on-person carry.

"During the debate on the Senate floor, Democratic Sen. Jose Rodriguez of El Paso argued the bill would lead to allowing guns in college classrooms. He later told FoxNews.com, “I opposed the bill because, given today’s climate and the rise of crime on ours campuses, the last thing we need to do is pass a bill like this."

Sounds like Jose is serving the wrong state.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/30/texas-senate-approves-guns-in-locked-cars-on-college-campuses-now-heads-to/#ixzz2SA79dYmu"

Last edited by a moderator:

eye95

Forgive me for not being overjoyed at this development. I'd much rather that the legislative action was such that it could have been characterized as "Texas legislature realizes the error of its ways and removes language from the law that infringes on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms on college campi." Instead, we have a situation where the legislature is granting permission to partially exercise the Right and partially infringe on it.

When we accept the authority of the State to grant permission to do something, at the same time, we accept their authority to deny that permission.

While this may keep some from facing punishment for doing something reasonable, it is not an entirely positive turn of events. It definitely has a huge downside!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I welcome any progress with open arms. But we can't all be the "glass half full" type I guess.

So how long will they have to wait for the women to stampede, the horses to faint, blood in the streets, shootouts over parking spaces, and massacres in registration lines before they are willing to say it just won't happen and move on to the next baby step?

Yes, progress is progress. But how long do we keep taking baby steps before we are allowed to walk like the responsible citizens we are?

stay safe.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
The thread title is a little misleading. The Texas Senate has passed the bill. It still needs to go to the House and then the governor needs to sign it.

From the article:

This year’s bill is expected to go to the House on Saturday, and it is likely to pass.

MainelyGlock

Re: Texas Allows Campus Carry

The thread title is a little misleading. The Texas Senate has passed the bill. It still needs to go to the House and then the governor needs to sign it.

From the article:

Sorry, you are correct. Not sure if I can edit it but once I get back home I'll check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

--Mod fixed title for you--

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran

So far, it's limited to keeping guns locked in cars, but hopefully that will transition to allowing on-person carry.

"During the debate on the Senate floor, Democratic Sen. Jose Rodriguez of El Paso argued the bill would lead to allowing guns in college classrooms. He later told FoxNews.com, “I opposed the bill because, given today’s climate and the rise of crime on ours campuses, the last thing we need to do is pass a bill like this."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/30/texas-senate-approves-guns-in-locked-cars-on-college-campuses-now-heads-to/#ixzz2SA79dYmu"

So Democrat Rodriguez says there has been a rise in crime on our campuses. Citation please, Senator. It is my understanding that violent crime rates have gone down significantly in the last 22 years all across the nation, and that would include our campuses. There have been very high profile shootings in all venues, but they are rare events. A recent poll showed that many Americans think gun crimes are increasing. The propaganda people must be proud.....

stealthyeliminator

Isn't it funny that banning firearms is supposed to be the legislation that makes classrooms safer and then they turn around and say that rising crime on campus justifies keeping guns out... Wait... What? So you mean the ban ISN'T effective at reducing crime on campus, and that the ineffectiveness of the legislation justifies the continuation of the prohibition? I don't follow. I think someone must have their head up their rear.

gatorbait51

Not his state, his organization

He gets a lot of funding and other support from La Raza .Follow the money and in kind donation trail..

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
And we thought we had it bad in Ohio.

Q: Can I Open Carry in Texas (in Public)?
A: You can openly carry rifles and shotguns, but not handguns. A CHL is not needed to do this. However, you must do so in a manner not "calculated" to cause alarm; meaning you are carrying the rifle to purposely intimidate or scare people.

Q: Why Can't I Open Carry my Handgun in Texas (in Public)?
A: Texas has long had a prohibition on the open display of handguns. This dates back to the days of Cowboys in the "Wild West" era of the 1800s; contrary to public opinion.

Wyoming has Constitutional carry. They know what the Constitution actually means.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Wyoming has Constitutional carry. They know what the Constitution actually means.

Sort of. WY's "Constitutional Carry" only applies to its own residents, not other visiting citizens of the United States.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It would be awesome if Texas allowed open carry, and could therefore reasonably be considered less anti-gun than, say, Maryland or New Jersey.

As it stands, meh.

OC for ME

<snip> Yes, progress is progress. But how long do we keep taking baby steps before we are allowed to walk like the responsible citizens we are?

stay safe.
How long do you have? Just keep hanging on and someone will get right back to you. Or, you could mosey on down to the Lone Start State and "encourage" those politicians to adhere to a schedule more to your liking. Your choice.

Anyway.

Well, this is good news. The next time I am on a Texas college campi I'll be sure to exercise a little. OC off campus is of less importance I see.

eye95

Sort of. WY's "Constitutional Carry" only applies to its own residents, not other visiting citizens of the United States.

Hmmmm...If they consider it a Right such that it is not regulated, how can they deny it to US citizens who are not Wyoming residents?

If they require a permit for "Constitutional Carry," then it is not "Constitutional Carry." Constitutional Carry should mean that no permission slip is required to carry virtually everywhere in publicly-owned spaces. Do they require a permission slip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is that even... (wait for it) Constitutional?

Exactly my point. They do NOT have true "Constitutional carry."

I travel through WY frequently. I am a US Citizen. I am not allowed to carry concealed there without a permission slip.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Exactly my point. They do NOT have true "Constitutional carry."

I travel through WY frequently. I am a US Citizen. I am not allowed to carry concealed there without a permission slip.

What I meant was, is it Constitutional (in the strict sense) to create such privileges which are excluded to citizens from other states? Doesn't the 14 amendment prohibit that?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What I meant was, is it Constitutional (in the strict sense) to create such privileges which are excluded to citizens from other states? Doesn't the 14 amendment prohibit that?

That's an outstanding point, and you made it obvious. It was my own mental block at the time that didn't see it.

I don't know how their law is worded, but it is also common that states require higher fees for nonresidents in things like hunting licenses and public college tuitions, but there is a significant difference here.

You may be on to something.

This is the portion of the text of the 14th that I found relevant: "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I'm no Constitutional law expert. Honestly, that's almost gobbledegook to me in regarding differentiating between state residents and nonresidents. I may need to think more on it tomorrow after coffee.

Last edited: