• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas, We Have a Problem

HPmatt

I am getting on MDA list here in Dallas, talked to a Houston lady tonight about meeting - told her I was very interested in not allowing criminals to have guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPmatt

Looks like Moms for Criminals are gonna have a meet June 2nd here in Dallas - 2 weeks away. Looks t/b part of a national deal for publicity, tied in w NY Sen. Chuck Schumer call for additional gun control measures.

Rather than show up there and protest on their terms, I would think maybe the day before we could plan an event at a place where the 2A saved lives in Dallas. Thoughts on venue? Day prior to where a good number of folks could show?

e5cec29c9e02e24bfbd298d3228775f0.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Hmm, I'm looking at their orange sign and a thought occurred to me.

It says: "We can end gun violence."

I think y'all could have identical signs made up that said something to the effect of: "We can end gun violence, by carrying our own and not being helpless."

It wouldn't really take people very long to read it and understand it, and most importantly, remember that full message every time they see the abbreviated version on the signs of the helpless ones.

Rusty Young Man

I think y'all could have identical signs made up that said something to the effect of: "We can end gun violence, by carrying our own and not being helpless."

It wouldn't really take people very long to read it and understand it, and most importantly, remember that full message every time they see the abbreviated version on the signs of the helpless ones.

Hmm. Thanks for the heads up guys. And I like the sign idea.:D

HPmatt

I thought
1) making up some 'Gun Free Home' yard signs - could offer to sell them at cost - say $10 - w proceeds given to victims of gun violence;
2) Have a gun buyback booth where they could pledge their family is 'gun and knife free' - w stats on violence by illegal guns, knives, hammers, etc;
3) line up victims of gun violence - rapes , shootings - that now carry guns for protection

SpeedDaemon

Wonder how many open-carriers we can get there that day...

Question is, is that city property (city park?) or federal (it's over the Trinity flood plain, which is probably Army Corps?)? Wonder if someone is being clever with the location.

HPmatt

Well the bars & restaurants are on the West Side, but Continental Ave Pedestrian Bridge is a City of Dallas park/decommissioned road/bridge, so a special event permit required only if crowd more than 75 expected.

As such I do not see any restrictions to 1A speech for a 'gun buyback' table, yard signs and pledge questionnaires....

HPmatt

Would want to have dedicated camera(wo)man, and will talk to local FFL about thoughts on buybacks...

Website says firearms & other weapons are prohibited, but since it is a city park, this is illegal - am talking to city manager - Gehan Assad - about clarification on website error, unless they have something different from City Attorney - going to put them on notice prior to June 2...

http://dallascontinentalbridge.com/guidelines/

Last edited:

SpeedDaemon

Website says firearms & other weapons are prohibited, but since it is a city park, this is illegal - am talking to city manager - Gehan Assad - about clarification on website error, unless they have something different from City Attorney - going to put them on notice prior to June 2...

http://dallascontinentalbridge.com/guidelines/

My point was that while the bridge might be city property, the land UNDER the bridge, is, I think, Army Corps flood control land. Their policy has historically been to ban firearms, and while there has been recent legislation and court cases on that issue, I'm not sure of the status in TX currently (Morris v U.S. Army Corps of Engineers only applies to Idaho). That's why I wonder if whoever organized this was being canny with their choice of location, especially if they're ready/planning to report anyone who shows up armed.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Random scientific fact: no combination of red/white/blue can create orange.

HPmatt

City manager called me today and said the website was incorrect now due to new Texas OC law - said they plan to fix website wording in a day or two...