• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thanked by a Lakewood Walmart employee today

Lokster

Experience has proven to me that Walmart is a place of great diversity in just about every aspect. Today I made my way over to the Wallyworld at Colfax & Wads to pick up some groceries and ammo (you know, the necessities) well anyway, I don't think I've ever had a more positive Wallyworld/OC experience. I completed my shopping in relative peace w/o being hassled or threatened by any customers, LEO or employees for my decision to OC. Of course I received a few angry looks, but I'm not so sure that that had anything to do with the fact that I was OCing, after all it is Wallyworld. Well the real surprise came upon checkout when I was thanked by the cashier for "lawfully carrying". :eek: My response: "I'm sorry, what?". I couldn't believe what I was hearing! She responded saying that she thought it was great that I was carrying my gun in the open and that her mom used to until she got tired of hearing complaints from people so now she carries concealed. I told her that I could understand her mom's decision, and at least she remains able to defend herself should she ever need to. She agreed, smiled and bid me a good day.

If there's one thing I've learned to expect at Walmart it's to expect the unexpected!

MatieA

There is a greeter here in the Cheyenne, WY Walmart that always shakes your hand and says 'thank you' if he sees you carrying. It is refreshing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Experience has proven to me that Walmart is a place of great diversity in just about every aspect. Today I made my way over to the Wallyworld...

That's a derogative term. Please refer to Walmart by it's normative name. It'll go a long way towards establish a repoire with the many thousands of Walmart employers, employees, and readers who frequent this site.

...at Colfax & Wads to pick up some groceries and ammo (you know, the necessities) well anyway, I don't think I've ever had a more positive Wallyworld/OC experience. I completed my shopping in relative peace w/o being hassled or threatened by any customers, LEO or employees for my decision to OC. Of course I received a few angry looks, but I'm not so sure that that had anything to do with the fact that I was OCing, after all it is Wallyworld. Well the real surprise came upon checkout when I was thanked by the cashier for "lawfully carrying". :eek: My response: "I'm sorry, what?". I couldn't believe what I was hearing! She responded saying that she thought it was great that I was carrying my gun in the open and that her mom used to until she got tired of hearing complaints from people so now she carries concealed. I told her that I could understand her mom's decision, and at least she remains able to defend herself should she ever need to. She agreed, smiled and bid me a good day.

If there's one thing I've learned to expect at Walmart it's to expect the unexpected! Many Walmart employees understand and respect our RKBA. They do, however, work for Walmart, who remains neutral on the issue. My advice is to carry often. The more Walmart and all other stores realize we're simply normal Americans, the better we'll all be.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

That's a derogative term. Please refer to Walmart by it's normative name. It'll go a long way towards establish a repoire with the many thousands of Walmart employers, employees, and readers who frequent this site.

Spare us. Please.

What has that place done for Ma and Pa businesses, local businesses, local farmers, products made in the USA?

Lokster

Well, luckily corporations or other business entities don't have feelings nor contain the intellectual capacity to comprehend an insult or anything else for that matter. It would be a stretch to suggest that my comment (Wallyworld) was at any way directed towards any of the individuals whom are Wallyworld employees, except for my brother-in-law or course ;-) It shall remain Wallyworld to me, unless Wallyworld calls me up and informs me that it finds my comments offensive.

If there's one thing I've learned to expect at Walmart it's to expect the unexpected! Many Walmart (aka, Wallyworld) employees understand and respect our RKBA. They do, however, work for Walmart (aka, Wallyworld), who remains neutral on the issue. My advice is to carry often. The more Walmart (aka, Wallyworld) and all other stores realize we're simply normal Americans, the better we'll all be.

Here, take a chill pill. The first one's on me.

M1911s

Wally world

I had a cutomer @ the parker and arapahoe store come up to me and ask if I needed a license for carrying that. I told him not for ocing. He made a comment about starting to carry his around.

"Originally Posted by since9
That's a derogative term. Please refer to Walmart by it's normative name. It'll go a long way towards establish a repoire with the many thousands of Walmart employers, employees, and readers who frequent this site."

OH please, if you think that Wallyworld is a derogative term then why do you ask everyone to use Walmart rather than the proper name of Wal-Mart? At least that is how is spelled on the store fronts in my area.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
OH please, if you think that Wallyworld is a derogative term then why do you ask everyone to use Walmart rather than the proper name of Wal-Mart?

Because "Wal-Mart" is no longer their proper name. Check the facts for yourself on Walmart's Website.

At least that is how is spelled on the store fronts in my area.

Mine, too, but signs are expensive. Unless the change is major, such as from Wal-Mart to Harry's Warehouse, it'll take time before the signs change. Might be decades.

Regardless, your point is pointless, as either "Wal-Mart" or "Walmart" is fine while "Wallyworld" remains derogatory. You win neither points, favor, nor support for a cause by referring to the object of your cause in a derogatory manner. About the only thing that's accomplished by that approach is making yourself sound incapable of carrying on an intelligent discussion. If that's your goal...

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Because "Wal-Mart" is no longer their proper name. Check the facts for yourself on Walmart's Website.

Mine, too, but signs are expensive. Unless the change is major, such as from Wal-Mart to Harry's Warehouse, it'll take time before the signs change. Might be decades.

Regardless, your point is pointless, as either "Wal-Mart" or "Walmart" is fine while "Wallyworld" remains derogatory. You win neither points, favor, nor support for a cause by referring to the object of your cause in a derogatory manner. About the only thing that's accomplished by that approach is making yourself sound incapable of carrying on an intelligent discussion. If that's your goal...

Please explain, exactly, in what way "Wallyworld" is derogatory?

mahkagari

Probably the same thing as "Targét". It's self deprecating by the user as much as it is derogatory. Most people I hear using either do so as a term of endearment.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the powers that be at the Evil W have switched to wiping their teary eyes with hundred dollar bills rather than using them to light cigars. If the suggestion is that we should be "politically correct" because their managers may read this board and say, "I'm going to be mean to OCers 'cause they called my store a mean name" well,..... nothing to say about that in polite company.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran

It would be like calling "Obama" something like "Oh! Bammy!" or, if one were to derogatorize your own username, "Meno-pistol-pausing Momma."

The point is that calling anyone other than their right name can be derogatory if the subject doesn't want to be called that. On that note, I've referred to our President by a few derogatory morphs of his name. My only defense is that he's done far worse to our country.

In defense of Walmart, they've been very supportive of OC, at least around here in Colorado, so they don't deserve to be called names. Thus, I'd like to thank them by calling them by their rightful name: Walmart.

Last edited:

mahkagari

The point is that calling anyone other than their right name can be derogatory if the subject doesn't want to be called that.

I'm a bit tired, can someone point me to the press release where Sam said he didn't like being called that? :p

PistolPackingMomma

It would be like calling "Obama" something like "Oh! Bammy!" or, if one were to derogatorize your own username, "Meno-pistol-pausing Momma."

The point is that calling anyone other than their right name can be derogatory if the subject doesn't want to be called that. On that note, I've referred to our President by a few derogatory morphs of his name. My only defense is that he's done far worse to our country.

In defense of Walmart, they've been very supportive of OC, at least around here in Colorado, so they don't deserve to be called names. Thus, I'd like to thank them by calling them by their rightful name: Walmart.

I disagree. It's not the name itself that is derogatory; it's the manner in which it is meant. And I'm confident that most people who use the name "Wally World" are using it as a moniker, not a slur.