• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Insanity of Gun Control Fanatics

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The definition of "Bullying" has become so distorted these days that it doesn't even resemble what I knew "bullying" to be when I was kid.

When I was a kid, bullies were the kids that always targeted other kids that were not prone to sticking up for themselves, often smaller and /ormore timid than them. These bullies weren't near as tough as they wanted everyone else to believe. I learned this while in Jr high. I shut down a few bullies whileI was in school and I didn't have to kick their butts to do it. All I had to do was stand up to them and let them know that I wasn't intimidated by them. I wasn't always bigger or stronger than the bully either (not to mention that I wasn't much of a skilled fighter). And by doing this in front of witnesses word got out that they were not the badies once thought. Soon, standing up to anyone that tried to bully another became a group event, with multiple kids confronting a bully. We didn't have to go run to the authorities (teachers) to deal with bullies, we took care of business ourselves.

Now days they want to include all sorts of annoying behavior as bullying. Repeated tugging on a girls ponytail or braids would get you slugged or your shins kicked by a girl. Now, it's become a form of bullying and the perp is sentenced to expulsion and mandated to phsychiatric counseling.

AZD, the threat of violence works to counter a threat of violence. You know it does or you wouldn't carry a firearm, which is a contradiction of what you seem to proffess.

I'm still not much of a fighter (physically) and now that I'm older, well....... you know how that goes (my can O Whupass has dried up). But I'm still not going to cower from anyone or run from a fight. It may be the death of me some day, but I'm just crazy like that, ya know. Always have been. Oh yeah, I'm pretty thick skinned, too, so it takes allot to get me riled.

Tomahawk

imported post

Not too long ago I was talking to a young 20-something engineer at work and the subject of fist fights came up. This guy is athletic and into sports and girls and football and all the usual stuff, so I was stunned to hear him say he had never been in a fist fight in his life.

Now I'm not that old, am I?

Alexcabbie

imported post

AH, good ol' Styles (I am in my mid-50s and too old to switch a z for an s) you can always depend on him to throw a match whenever he sees gasoline.

Indeed you CAN be bullied if you are stronger. For example I was told not to fight but to ignore a certain bully when I was about 10. This boy followed me home from school every day shoving me and slapping the back of my head etc. while other kids watched and laughed. My mom called his mom nd his mom just pooh-poohed it and said that I - I!- had to learn "to get along " with her son.

So I ignored it, but he didnt stop, it got worse.One day the assault was so intense that I ran and he stood in the driveway and called me a little mamma's baby and said he would stand there and wait for me to come out.

That was IT.

I went inside, tossed my books on the couch, and spun on my heel and went back out whilst my mom asked me what I was doing. I told her I was "Going to kck the $%#@ outta" the other kid..

He stood at the end of the driveway taunting me and I can still hear the giggles of the othe kids. He didn't see the look in my eyes. I didn't bother saying anything. I just stepped up to the plate and went to work.

He went down on the second punch and I jumped on top of him and started really beating him until my mom came in and pulled us apart. He jumped up and ran home crying with a fat lip, two black eyes, and hanprints all over his face, etc I mean he was a mess, and now the other kids were laughing at HIM. I was scolded nd sent to my room.

Five minutes later the doorbelll rang and then there was a pounding on the door. Guess Who?? Yep, it was his mom with him in tow. When my mom opened up, his mom started screaming at her starting with "Just LOOK at what your little SAVAGE did to my beautiful son!!!" and ontinued for about five minutes. My mon replied that she had tried to talk to her and that she had told her this day may come. She said that I was not supposed to fight, that I would be punished, but that in her opinion the kid got what he had been asking for for three weeks. She then gently closed the door in he face.

When he got home, my Dad decided my punishment would be being sent to bed before "Leave it to Beaver" right after I had a huge banana split to help me sleep.

THAT is how I was raised. Whatg were we talking about originally, now??

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Trust me Marshaul, I've been made an example of plenty of times in my life, and wrongfully so I might add !! I am a stronger and less tollerant man because of it..
Intolerance (with some exceptions) is a weakness of the character.

"Zero-tolerance" is stupidity.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Not too long ago I was talking to a young 20-something engineer at work and the subject of fist fights came up. This guy is athletic and into sports and girls and football and all the usual stuff, so I was stunned to hear him say he had never been in a fist fight in his life.

Now I'm not that old, am I?
I've never really been in a fistfight before. Not a serious fight, at any rate.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I read all of this, and two words come to mind.

Private school.

I hope that I will be able to afford it for my future children.

BTW: It's incredibly tempting to dip my hand in the mud and join the flinging. Some of you make it seem like so much fun :p.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

^step on in, the mud is great and we'd love to hear your opinion.

impulse418 wrote:
Don't take this out of context.

I never bullied but have had people try to push me around. I learned how to stop it, and go about my life. So basically when kids get into the real world, and start getting "bullied" in the workforce, what are they going to do?

Using the violence for violence method peopleare advocating...

Buy gun.

Shoot up workplace.

Profit?

Using the mature, adult method...

Notify supervisor, let them deal with it because they're in the correct position to deal with it.

Alexcabbie
When he got home, my Dad decided my punishment would be being sent to bed before "Leave it to Beaver" right after I had a huge banana split to help me sleep.

So, aside from some "good ole' day" reminiscing, what was the point of that story? You learned that if someone says something you don't like, you beat the living @#$% out of them and you're rewarded for it.

In what way has that childhood lesson helped you in adult life? You seem to be a fairly calm and level headed guy, so I'd venture to guess that as an adult you RE-learned the correct way to deal with those scenarios. The kids that never re-learn the correct way to handle those situations are the gang bangers that continue to grow up and see unnecessary violence as the adult solution to everything. You steal my hat? I kill you. You scuff my white on white Jordans? I kill you. We have a dispute over who can sell crack on this corner? I kill you. The OC extremists are the same way, they're just more subtitle about it. This thread is a shining example of it. These reoccurring themes of desire for anarchy and"every problem can be solvedif everyone had guns"prove it. When it's all taken together, the world picture that's painted is nothing but a mass shoot out with one person left standing. "Anarchy is fine with me, my guns will protect me." Sure they will, and the other guy's guns will protect him and so on and so forth until there's no one left because you couldn't solve disagreements civilly, violence is the answer to all problems,and no one wants an authority figure to settle disputes and help maintain order. It's amazing how this thread about something seemingly unrelated can bring it all together and paint the realisticpicture of the OC extremist world.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Styles, I did not beat up the other boy for saying anything. I went out and gave him a shellacking to stop three weeks of constant torment. Did you bother to read the part where I put up with being kcked in the ass down the street as I walked home??

My parents always counseled me to stay out of fights and I tried to obey. But when he said he was going to wait for me and I couldn't run from him, I knew only one thing would stop the torment. So I went out and kicked his ass.

Maybe if wou would drop the Evelyn Woodhead sped-reddin you would absorb the whole thing and know what you are talking about in re what I said. Before you commeent on my posts please read them slowly and think about what I mean.

Geeze:banghead:

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Maybe if wou would drop the Evelyn Woodhead sped-reddin you would absorb the whole thing and know what you are talking about in re what I said. Before you commeent on my posts please read them slowly and think about what I mean.

Ok I'm owned on that one. :cry:

But my point still stands, you just aren't included onthe side aruging it.Now I really don't see the purpose of your post because I never disagreed with meeting force with equal force.

Deanimator

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
What you can't seem to understand is that you didn't limit your definition of "violence" until you were called on it. You've been backpedaling ever since.

Semantics. Violence or aggression, my point remains the same. Playground "violence" and Nazi "violence" aren't even in the same universe, let alone the same ballpark. Using deadly force against the possibility of certain death is just common sense.Using ANY force againstsome fellow 8 year old making fun of you is the wrong way to handle the situation. Childrenlack the maturity to make sound judgment calls as to when counter-violence is or isn't justified and what level is appropriate. Advocating that they attempt to do so is simply idiotic. When a child has a problem they need to take it to an adult. It isn't the child's fault, and it isn'tthe fault of the idea of taking things to an adult, that the adults in this case (and many others) react like a bunch of retards. Baby,tub, bathroom, house and neighborhood outwith the bathwater. Learn it, love it. It's the OC extremist way.
You made a blanket comment about "violence". Now you're having to backpedal at light speed.

I grew up on the South Side of Chicago. Bullying wasn't verbal. I guess you never experienced anything like that in Lake Woebegone...

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
You made a blanket comment about "violence". Now you're having to backpedal at light speed.
Say what? My point hasn't changed. If you want to argue the definition of "violence" then check out websterforums.com.

Deanimator

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
I read all of this, and two words come to mind.

Private school.

I hope that I will be able to afford it for my future children.

BTW: It's incredibly tempting to dip my hand in the mud and join the flinging. Some of you make it seem like so much fun :p.
It's better, if for no reason than your kids will learn to read and write.

On the other hand, don't have any illusions that there aren't bullies no matter where your kids end up. I saw them in Catholic grammar and highschool in the '60s and '70s in Chicago. My best friend's kids saw them in Catholic schools in Delaware in the '90s and in this decade. Unfortunately, for quite some time, it's been "stylish" in the Catholic schools to punish the victims of violence who fight back. I did it anyway.

No bully ever stopped being a bully because he got what he wanted by BEING a bully.

Deanimator

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
Say what? My point hasn't changed. If you want to argue the definition of "violence" then check out websterforums.com.
Your "point" has changed so frequently upon being challenged that it's doubtful that you HAVE a point.

If you want to argue with yourself, buy a mirror.

Alexcabbie

imported post

HO-kayyyyy....... Back to the kid with a cap pistol. Back when I was a kid and some boy had a toy gun at school (me) the toy was simply confiscated by the teacher and never to be seen by the student again. Cap pistols were too noisy and as to squirt guns they were ditto confiscated because getting another student sopping wet was not very nice. Never were these kiddie playthings considered anything but exactlly that, much less were the police involved, and the cops probably would have had Dayton State Hospital come take away for evaluation any teacher who involved them over such a trivial thing.

We did carry pen-knives (and NO I AM NOT SO OLD as to have used a goosequill pen) and sometimes played a game where we threw them at each other's bare feet as a test of the thrower's skill to get his blade as close as possible and the target's nerve in not flinching. We were a pretty rough-and-tumble bunch, us boys back then; and although we would probably get paddled if caught playing our little game, the knives would have been ditto confiscated and the police would not be called, only the parents. And most of us having recieved a paddling at school could expect The Belt when our fathers got home.

In fine, common sense coupled with an instinct on when to rein in "boys being boys" but otherwise letting them be boys was the way childish misbehavior was dealt with. Nowadays it is Ritalin, "experts" who never even changed a diaper in their lives, and the police and juvenile authorities if a kid even draws a PICTURE of a firearm.

This thread is titled "The Insanity of Gun-Control Fanatics" but I discern a certain method to this madness. There is a segment of the Left that seeks to feminize our young males and thus weaken the nation. They want to cure boys of being boys, and they want to do it so as to render our nation weak. There is much more to this, but I don't wanna be a "blog-hog". However most of you know damned well what I am getting at.

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote: This thread is titled "The Insanity of Gun-Control Fanatics" but I discern a certain method to this madness. There is a segment of the Left that seeks to feminize our young males and thus weaken the nation. They want to cure boys of being boys, and they want to do it so as to render our nation weak. There is much more to this, but I don't wanna be a "blog-hog". However most of you know damned well what I am getting at.
That's absolutely true, however the other half of the equation is their willingness not just to countenance, but to excuse and even JUSTIFY virtually any act of aggressive violence, whether it be by an armed robber, Al Qaeda or the Empire of Japan.

In their Cloud Cuckoo Land existence, it's not AGGRESSION which is evil, it's violent RESISTANCE to aggression. That's how the guy who shoots the robber, the woman who shoots the rapist, or Col. Paul Tibbets get to be evil incarnate. The robber, rapist, and indeed genocidal militarist Japan become the "victims". And there's a huge contradiction in all of this. To them the only "moral" people are those who are WILLING victims, yet at the same time, it's only the AGGRESSOR for whom they have any respect, and indeed ENVY.

The guy who sticks up a liquor store, rapes a woman, or commits genocide in Nanking are all doing something that these "people" can only fantasize about. The covert admiration that the sociopathic left has for the aggressor sometimes verges on the overt. At times, they're practically like the women who send marriage proposals and lingerie to serial killers in prison.

There used to be a woman here in the Cleveland area who was pen pals with a bunch of serial kilers, child rapists and the like. She used to go on local radio talkshows to laud her "friends" and heap calumnies upon the victims and their families. Her sheer incandescent hatred of the family of the Curley boy, who was murdered and raped (in that order, I believe) by a couple of adherents of NAMBLA was simply astonishing. She is the full embodiment of the "philosophy" which we have both described above.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
But I have ZERO tollerance for STUPID.. maybe the kid was ignorant, but his Parents are STUPID, so the kid was made an example out of because of his STUPID parents.. I guarantee the kid will survive this incident unscathed, But he'll be more likely to think things through a little more thoroughly as life teaches him more of these unfair examples.

One minor but important distinction. I see people here throwing terms like "retard", "stupid", and "Ignorant" around like they were interchangeable. They are not.

It is unreasonable NOT to tolerate an immutable condition of another individual. Saying you cannot tolerate stupid people is like saying you cannot tolerate people with blue eyes. Stupid people do not have the capacity to learn, ignorant people have the capacity but refuse to use it.

One might be intolerant of ignorance, as ignorance can be cured through education. However stupidity is a completely different thing, and no amount of adjustment will make a stupid person "...more likely to think things through."

Regards

Carnivore

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Carnivore wrote:
But I have ZERO tollerance for STUPID.. maybe the kid was ignorant, but his Parents are STUPID, so the kid was made an example out of because of his STUPID parents.. I guarantee the kid will survive this incident unscathed, But he'll be more likely to think things through a little more thoroughly as life teaches him more of these unfair examples.

One minor but important distinction. I see people here throwing terms like "retard", "stupid", and "Ignorant" around like they were interchangeable. They are not.

It is unreasonable NOT to tolerate an immutable condition of another individual. Saying you cannot tolerate stupid people is like saying you cannot tolerate people with blue eyes. Stupid people do not have the capacity to learn, ignorant people have the capacity but refuse to use it.

One might be intolerant of ignorance, as ignorance can be cured through education. However stupidity is a completely different thing, and no amount of adjustment will make a stupid person "...more likely to think things through."

Regards
You will never hear me say/ or see me type the word Retard in regards to someone I'm discussing or bantering with, I have a lot of respect for that word in the sense that someone who suffers from retardation cannot change their condition..

Someone who is Ignorant is just unlearned or not taught but is hopefully trainable/teachable.

Someone who is stupid will fail or see failure in a method or proceedure, and go right back and perform the same act or proceedure in the same manner and expect different results..

I don't salute these officers for making the little guy and his family miserable, in fact I think they should recommend a state evaluation on the faculty that couldn't handle such a minor infraction within their own confines, The kid most likely knew that toy guns weren't allowed a school, the Parents inevitably will always be held accountable for Minor childrens actions.. the Terroristic threats and all the other blown out of proportion crap is probably just a Newspaper playing with words..

Marshaul I can appreciate that given your geographic location, you may have more limber tendancies, "oops did I say that out loud" What I really meant to say, was flexibility and tollerance, yea, tollerance is what I meant..

Good day fellas I gotta go shoppin with the wifey!!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Someone who is stupid will fail or see failure in a method or proceedure, and go right back and perform the same act or proceedure in the same manner and expect different results..

SNIP...

Well actually that would be the popular definition of insanity. But I see where you are coming from now, Please note that you were not the target of the entire post, you just prompted me to say something.

Regards

Carnivore wrote:
...SNIP
Marshaul I can appreciate that given your geographic location, you may have more limber tendancies, "oops did I say that out loud" What I really meant to say, was flexibility and tollerance, yea, tollerance is what I meant..
SNIP...
Oh boy, you stepped in it now.
popcorn.gif

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Marshaul I can appreciate that given your geographic location, you may have more limber tendancies, "oops did I say that out loud " What I really meant to say, was flexibility and tollerance, yea, tollerance is what I meant..
:quirky
You're lucky I'm so tolerant because you've made a series of very ignorant remarks.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Styles, I did not beat up the other boy for saying anything. I went out and gave him a shellacking to stop three weeks of constant torment. Did you bother to read the part where I put up with being kcked in the ass down the street as I walked home??

My parents always counseled me to stay out of fights and I tried to obey. But when he said he was going to wait for me and I couldn't run from him, I knew only one thing would stop the torment. So I went out and kicked his ass.

Ignore him. You did the right thing.

I am native to this area and grew up in Falls Church.. actually within the city limits. I went to George Mason Jr. Sr. High School, the only Falls Church High School there ever was I might add. At George Mason, fights were handled differently than what our contemporary idiots seem to want.

In the tenth grade, I got into a fight with someone and it was, of course, broken up. I and my opponent were ordered to present ourselves after school at the rear of the gym where a few coaches would be waiting for us with boxing gloves to go a few rounds. I showed up, he didn't. And this is what almost always happened. Either one or both "offenders" decided it wasn't worth it after cooling down a bit and just went on home after school.

But then, I went through the public school system when not only were the local schools far better, but discipline was the order of the day and there was hell to pay if you stepped out of line.