• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The latest insult to Erik Scott's Memory

TigerLily

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/crime-courts/shootings-slowly-changing-police

Did any of you boys see the latest insult to Erik's memory by a jerk so-called reporter by the name Mike Blasky?

"Erik Scott, 38, was killed July 10, 2010, after brandishing a pistol in front of the Summerlin Costco on a busy Saturday afternoon.

Scott, a successful medical device salesman and graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, brought controversy to the suburbs.

“There’s no part of the community that’s immune from this type of situation,” said Cal Potter, an attorney who frequently sues police.

Scott’s father led an aggressive campaign against the department, paying for billboards, holding vigils and generally casting doubt at the officers who shot his son.

It helped that Scott was white and his family was wealthy; Cole was poor and black.

As details about Scott’s shooting slowly filtered out, the public discovered that he had been heavily intoxicated on prescription drugs, armed with two handguns, and hostile to Costco security officers before police were called. After he refused police commands and reached for his holster, three officers shot him seven times."

LIES AND IRRESPONSIBLE REPORTING ABOUT ERIK and you gun-totin' Constitutionalists should be pissed.

I'll be covering this article on my radio show tomorrow, June 21.

It seems the only way to get "justice" is to be killed if you're Black and unarmed. If you're White and/or armed, you're ******. Where was the NRA on this? How utterly disgusting.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No need for me to make corrections. We already know what really happened. I'm trying to relax and now you are making me angry...

punisherprice

Did any of you boys see the latest insult to Erik's memory by a jerk so-called reporter by the name Mike Blasky?

"Erik Scott, 38, was killed July 10, 2010, after brandishing a pistol in front of the Summerlin Costco on a busy Saturday afternoon.

Scott, a successful medical device salesman and graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, brought controversy to the suburbs.

“There’s no part of the community that’s immune from this type of situation,” said Cal Potter, an attorney who frequently sues police.

Scott’s father led an aggressive campaign against the department, paying for billboards, holding vigils and generally casting doubt at the officers who shot his son.

It helped that Scott was white and his family was wealthy; Cole was poor and black.

As details about Scott’s shooting slowly filtered out, the public discovered that he had been heavily intoxicated on prescription drugs, armed with two handguns, and hostile to Costco security officers before police were called. After he refused police commands and reached for his holster, three officers shot him seven times."

LIES AND IRRESPONSIBLE REPORTING ABOUT ERIK and you gun-totin' Constitutionalists should be pissed.

It seems the only way to get "justice" is to be killed if you're Black and unarmed. If you're White and/or armed, you're ******. Where was the NRA on this? How utterly disgusting.

let's not open a can of worms. Not everyone sees him as martyr.

usmcmustang

A martyr? Really? I always thought a martyr was one who chooses death rather than renounce a cause or belief. Who believes Erik CHOSE death?... NO ONE !!!! Erik was certainly a VICTIM of senseless and unprovoked action by police... precipitated by the actions of ignorant and clueless Costco employee(s).

I smell bacon.

Last edited:

TigerLily

That's because of the lies that have been perpetrated by the media. I will expose the lies today at 11am pacific time on http://www.freedomizerradio.com/

I also contacted the reporter and will share what he had to say to me. You only THINK you're pissed off now. I hope you'll tune in or catch the archive.

This could happen to anyone of us 2a "gun-lovers." And the media will pounce on whatever the cops tell them. We all know by now that the Supreme Court has ruled that cops are under no obligation to protect. Therefore, they serve and protect their ASSES.

The coverup was extremely sloppy and I hope some of you will support Bill Scott by reading his book, "The Permit.

Oh, and btw, Don'tTreadOnMe found a form that reporters sign making them beholding to Metro. So much for "free press." I'll share that as well.

jdholmes

I have not yet seen where there is real proof in either direction for this case. Just hear say/he said, she said on both sides of the issue.

I am certainly more inclined to believe that it was a bad shoot when a corporation like Costco conveniently happens to have a broken camera in just the right location to hide what happened.

With cops shouting multiple directions at him he may very well have reached for his holster...to disarm himself.

Reaching for a holster certainly doesn't justify cops shooting.

Given metro's track record it sure isn't a far cry to believe that their over payed and under trained officers got amped up and shot prematurely.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I have not yet seen where there is real proof in either direction for this case. Just hear say/he said, she said on both sides of the issue

In such a case, morality dictates that we give more weight to the side of the victim, who didn't have all of the resources of the government to promote their side.

Consider that, of the dozens of witnesses, the few who supported the Costco/LVMPD position stood to gain through their support (either employees of Costco or one who had an application in to join LVMPD). These were the only ones called to testify, making the Coroner's hearing nothing more than a rubber-stamp kangaroo court.

When you ADD the claim that Costco's surveillance system wasn't working, it just stinks more than a sewage-treatment plant.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

"Scott, a successful medical device salesman and graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, brought controversy to the suburbs.

"It helped that Scott was white and his family was wealthy; Cole was poor and black.

"As details about Scott’s shooting slowly filtered out, the public discovered that he had been heavily intoxicated on prescription drugs, armed with two handguns, and hostile to Costco security officers before police were called. After he refused police commands and reached for his holster, three officers shot him seven times."

There is a more than healthy does of bias, but I do not see it as any sort of "affront" to Eric Scott or "his memory".

As is all too common with reportologists, supposition and speculation is presented as fact. Some things were alleged but neither proven nor disproven. Some things are taken out of context and reported as fact when they are unsupported supposition which has been repeated to the point that many are not aware of the foundation fact being used out of context. Others are cleaarly opinion but rather appear to be stated as fact. Others are factually reported but in a negatively biased manner.

But I do not see any of it as any sort of "affront" to Eric Scott or "his memory".

I would like to understand how you arrived at that conclusion.

stay safe.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...But I do not see any of it as any sort of "affront" to Eric Scott or "his memory".

I would like to understand how you arrived at that conclusion...

I see a problem with this:
After he refused police commands and reached for his holster, three officers shot him seven times."

He was given four commands by four different officers, none of whom took command with a plan; essentially this: "Stop!" "Get on the Ground!" "Hands in the Air!" "Drop the Gun!"

Apparently, Mr Scott, not thinking things through very well in all the commotion, attempted to comply with the latter.

The officer that shouted for him to drop the gun was probably the one that did not shoot him for moving toward it.

To simply say 'He ignored the officers and instead reached for his gun, so they shot him' is a serious injustice of "reporting the facts."

Cjanik

^^ you said he attempted to comply with the last command. that is an assumption. he may have had his own mind made up with how he was going to respond. at the same time...you may be right about that. keep that mindset open. same thing goes for being the officer that did or didnt shoot him. lets remove the bias, otherwise your statement is no better than the news reporting.

I do however agree the reporters are showing their bias and trying to lead their readers to read things wrong instead of just reporting facts.

anybody in the right state of mind, would not pull a holstered weapon out at a bunch of officers with guns pointing at them.

if an officer screamed at me to remove my weapon, I wouldn't just go for it and raise it out. I would have some serious hesitation...as would most of us (I'd hope anyway), and be sure I let them know of my intentions before actually pulling it out.

I'm sorry to say I believe whatever erik had in his system delayed his ability to think things through before just pulling out that holstered weapon. I do believe if he had a clear state of mind he would have done a thing or two differently.

I do not agree with Costco's actions whatsoever. no justification there, especially with their exaggerated description to dispatch about scott.

I consider this an unfortunate incident that could have been avoided, with faults on both parties. Something we can all learn from, by all I mean us and officers.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
^^ you said he attempted to comply with the last command...

anybody in the right state of mind, would not pull a holstered weapon out at a bunch of officers with guns pointing at them...

No, I said "apparently..." That makes a difference, so instead of paraphrasing, I'd prefer you quote me.

I agree that pulling a holstered weapon is a bad idea. I teach my students not to do it, even if told to do so by an idiot cop. Because the cop that tells you to do it probably won't be the one that shoots you for it.

But it would still be mostly the cops' fault if it happens, not that it will do you much good.

punisherprice

What I do know is that my brother was hired on at Costco almost a month after the shooting. The people i spoke with were there. He was stealing alcohol and a security guard intervened until he seen Scott's firearm. Everyone was evacuated once that happened because Scott was uncompliant and belligerent. He was in a daze, which happened to be a morphine/xanax induced daze discovered in a toxicology report. He was four times over the lethal limit, so He was either an addict, or juicing himself up for a suicide-by-cop confrontation to ease the idea in his mind. These last two suggestions are just an observation. The rest is FACT. We've been over this before. BUT the shooting is another thing. There was plenty of witnesses that said he didnt pull a gun. There is a lot of fishy stuff though. Like an unregistered handgun being found on his person after the shooting. Unregistered handguns are almost impossible to get, unless youre an LEO. Everyone here knows you NEVER carry a gun while under the influence. Could someone fake a toxicology report. Yeah. But it doesn't help that he was doubling everything the Doc was giving him. That came out of the Dr's mouth during a testimony. So there's a lot of weird stuff going on here. Im not saying he wasn't an average guy who was shot while shopping, but his past is really not helping him out.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...He was stealing alcohol ... an unregistered handgun being found on his person after the shooting. Unregistered handguns are almost impossible to get, unless you're an LEO.

This is the first I've even heard of this stealing or this alcohol thing. Can you please cite this?

As for unregistered handguns, they are all over the place. If you buy one from someone in any county other than Clark County, it is unregistered until you go register it.

One of his two handguns was not listed by make/model on his permit to conceal, which was required at that time. I had not heard one was unregistered. Can you verify/cite that as well, please?

Last edited:

vegaspassat

You are misunderstanding the term "lethal limit". A "lethal" dose of opioids can be taken for YEARS before it kills the patient. This is because it takes time to cause lethal damage to the liver. Much like alcohol, you can drink a bottle of champagne over the course of 12 hours every day and eventually you WILL die even though you never even felt the effects of the alcohol. The same can be said for opioids regarding tolerance as well.

As for speaking to costco employees regarding the incident- do you REALLY expect them to tell the truth? For christs sake thats like asking the police to tell the truth about how they "defended" themselves against a man flushing a bag of weed down the toilet. Like how I brought it back to the original post content? ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You are misunderstanding the term "lethal limit". A "lethal" dose of opioids can be taken for YEARS before it kills the patient...

As for speaking to costco employees regarding the incident-...

Excellent points. I didn't know enough about the "lethal limit" to understand how they could testify he had 4X a "lethal dose" yet was able to walk around. Either "lethal dose" meant something weird, or his tolerance was such that it wasn't a lethal dose anymore, in which case without knowing his exact tolerance, we really have no idea what his level of impairment was, if even significant.

And yeah, "my brother's coworkers" is not a reliable source when it contradicts other sources without further verification. This was a claim to fame. I'll bet a dozen employees claim they saw the whole thing. And part of the story is how no employee did anything wrong.