• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The next 2AFriendly project: State-by-state rankings.

2AFriendly

Working hard on our next project: State-by-state rankings. If you could choose, what other data would you like to see? Thanks for your input!

(Coming soon to http://2AFriendly.com)

Mockup:
LBd7NcQ.png

z28power

Working hard on our next project

Before doing this, I feel you should polish your existing product. The map and search functions work HORRIBLY. It is classifying business on walking/biking paths in my area that aren't actually public roads. Additionally, if I search for a business, clicking on pinned flags results in a business with the same name over 15 miles away coming up in the details portion of the application. If I click on the text-based search result and enter my rating there, the flag properly updates on my map that just pulled up the store from another zip code and part of town. I like the idea of the app and wanted to like it enough to purchase the additional functions, but it's not easily usable in current form.

Last edited:

2AFriendly

Before doing this, I feel you should polish your existing product. The map and search functions work HORRIBLY. It is classifying business on walking/biking paths in my area that aren't actually public roads. Additionally, if I search for a business, clicking on pinned flags results in a business with the same name over 15 miles away coming up in the details portion of the application. If I click on the text-based search result and enter my rating there, the flag properly updates on my map that just pulled up the store from another zip code and part of town. I like the idea of the app and wanted to like it enough to purchase the additional functions, but it's not easily usable in current form.

This is the first I've heard of these issues, but it sounds like there might be location data problems.

The business data comes from google places. It's pretty good, but there are spots of imperfection.

We'd like to help you and confirm these issues, if you don't mind. Please contact support and let us know what device you have, and what OS version; and if you're willing, your general location so that we can look at the place data. This would be very helpful - Thank you.

Email:
appFeedback [at] 2afriendly [dot] com

z28power

This is the first I've heard of these issues, but it sounds like there might be location data problems.

The business data comes from google places. It's pretty good, but there are spots of imperfection.

We'd like to help you and confirm these issues, if you don't mind. Please contact support and let us know what device you have, and what OS version; and if you're willing, your general location so that we can look at the place data. This would be very helpful - Thank you.

Email:
appFeedback [at] 2afriendly [dot] com

I don't mind posting that I an located in metropolitan Las Vegas. Thank you for the email, I will follow up with you directly there to see if we can work out the issue :)

Sent from my phone, so be gentle on my autocorrect spelling mistakes!

2AFriendly

I don't mind posting that I an located in metropolitan Las Vegas. Thank you for the email, I will follow up with you directly there to see if we can work out the issue :)

Much appreciated, I look forward to your email... We'll also start examining some locations in the Vegas area...

XD40sc

I agree 100%, scrolling around on the map just doesn't work. Virtually impossible to get the map to display in full screen, as trying to wipe the search box and list of the closest places down just doesn't work, or removes only one line listing a business and the distance.

Pinch the map to see a larger area, and scroll the map toward where you want to look and 4 out of 5 times it snaps back to where you were.

z28power

I agree 100%, scrolling around on the map just doesn't work. Virtually impossible to get the map to display in full screen, as trying to wipe the search box and list of the closest places down just doesn't work, or removes only one line listing a business and the distance.

Pinch the map to see a larger area, and scroll the map toward where you want to look and 4 out of 5 times it snaps back to where you were.

I think this has to do with the pins loading, thank you for reminding me. Any time you are trying to scroll around the map, the lag is terrible. If you try to scroll a second time before all the pins load, it moves back to the map view it just finished loading. Really annoying if you are trying to navigate by scrolling.

2AFriendly

I think this has to do with the pins loading, thank you for reminding me. Any time you are trying to scroll around the map, the lag is terrible. If you try to scroll a second time before all the pins load, it moves back to the map view it just finished loading. Really annoying if you are trying to navigate by scrolling.

Thank you for the excellent detailed feedback - we though we had the map issue beat, but we don't have all android devices to test on. We'll fix this and release a patch ASAP.

Regards,
Warren
-2AFriendly SUpport

z28power

Thank you for the excellent detailed feedback - we though we had the map issue beat, but we don't have all android devices to test on. We'll fix this and release a patch ASAP.

Regards,
Warren
-2AFriendly SUpport

I did send additional feedback to the email address you mentioned as well. :) cheers

2AFriendly

Thank you! We really appreciate it. Android is a maze of devices and compatibility issues, and we always need detailed feedback from android users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveT319

I've been using it some so far and have not come across any real problems. For the record, I'm using an Android based HTC Desire C. One minor complaint would be that when viewing the map, you can't make the list of locations go away completely, as XD40sc mentioned. And the lack of results in my area, but that's not your fault. ;)

The ranking would be an interesting tidbit of info.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And yet there are places in Virginia I can OC that I am not allowed to in North Carolina, so how come they get ranked #1? Oh, I see, it's a popularity contest based on how many folks choose to vote, as opposed to actual objective rankings. Sort of like "social media" *hack, spit*.

Still might be good for checking out places, but based on the lack of the website actually doing anything I think I'll wait for version 3.0 or so. Sort of like giving everybody else the chance to buy the newest gun behind the counter, find all the bugs, and let the manufacturer work out the kinks. I know someone has to be the beta tester; I'm just not up for the job.

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And yet there are places in Virginia I can OC that I am not allowed to in North Carolina, so how come they get ranked #1? Oh, I see, it's a popularity contest based on how many folks choose to vote, as opposed to actual objective rankings. Sort of like "social media" *hack, spit*.

Yes. Clearly the ranking algorithm needs to be modified such that Virginia is always on top.

:)

2AFriendly

Still might be good for checking out places, but based on the lack of the website actually doing anything I think I'll wait for version 3.0 or so. Sort of like giving everybody else the chance to buy the newest gun behind the counter, find all the bugs, and let the manufacturer work out the kinks. I know someone has to be the beta tester; I'm just not up for the job.

stay safe.

All that was based on the itty-bitty-mockup I posted above? :p
Virginia is 8th in total ratings by the way :uhoh:

But Virginia does have the highest percentage of open carry ratings... 37% of total:
http://2afriendly.com/2afriendly-state-rankings.php

In time, as the total data grows, the rankings will become more meaningful.

Last edited:

2AFriendly

I've been using it some so far and have not come across any real problems. For the record, I'm using an Android based HTC Desire C. One minor complaint would be that when viewing the map, you can't make the list of locations go away completely, as XD40sc mentioned. And the lack of results in my area, but that's not your fault. ;)

The ranking would be an interesting tidbit of info.

Thanks for the input. We're working on making the map operate smoother, but it's working decently for you?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
All that was based on the itty-bitty-mockup I posted above? :p
Virginia is 8th in total ratings by the way :uhoh:

But Virginia does have the highest percentage of open carry ratings... 37% of total:
http://2afriendly.com/2afriendly-state-rankings.php

In time, as the total data grows, the rankings will become more meaningful.

I see that someone has added every school and Starbucks in NC.

Anyway, shouldn't Starbucks be "neutral"? It's hard to describe "welcoming and serving" armed customers by policy as "unfriendly".

2AFriendly

I see that someone has added every school and Starbucks in NC.

Anyway, shouldn't Starbucks be "neutral"? It's hard to describe "welcoming and serving" armed customers by policy as "unfriendly".

The CEO himself asked that gun carriers don't bring their guns in... that's unfriendly in my book

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The CEO himself asked that gun carriers don't bring their guns in... that's unfriendly in my book

He also stated that policy would continue to be to, and I quote, "welcome and serve" armed customers.

To me, "I'll welcome and serve you but would slightly prefer you leave the gun at home" is the definition of "neutral." What else could "neutral" possibly mean? If that's "anti", then what do you call actually anti establishments – you know, those that will eject carriers? Super-anti?

Whatever. Your app. Do as you see fit. I ain't gonna rehash that issue.

What I will say is this is why I find others' appraisal of any situation of limited (if any) value. I guess I'm just not the social media type.