• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There's no magic in the numbers...

rapgood

Seattle - population = 616,500 (http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...lace:5363000&dl=en&hl=en&q=seattle+population)
Seattle - 2012 murders = 21 (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018321758_nationalstats31m.html)
Seattle murders = 1 for every 29,357 inhabitants

Philidelphia - population = 1,526,006 (http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...4260000&dl=en&hl=en&q=philadelphia+population)
Philidelphia - 2012 murders = 189 (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/12/us/stop-and-frisk-controls-praised-in-philadelphia.html?_r=1)
Philidelphia murders = 1 for every 8,704 inhabitants

You have a 337% greater chance of being murdered in Philly than in Seattle. See http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/12/us/stop-and-frisk-controls-praised-in-philadelphia.html?_r=1 and draw your own conclusions.

WOD

SVG is spot on, as usual. The numbers say a lot about how well strict regulations hurt society as a whole. Chicago, Baltimore, D.C., and all the tightly controlled cities and states, do have a higher ratio. I don't think we want those ratios to become our reality here, and this is the fight we're fighting.

On another note, this 'Who Cares?' attitude, is precisely how these cities became so tightly controlled. Also, the same reason why they have become the toxic wastelands they are. Having come from back East, I know what a ghetto looks like, and trust me, Seattle doesn't have one... yet. Troubled areas, yes there are some trouble spots, and they'll get worse if the 'Who Cares' attitudes persist.

deanf

I don't approach gun rights from a crime prevention perspective. For me it's all about individual rights. I will never make any statistical argument for gun rights. I don't believe that correlation equals causality, unless there is a proven nexus.

"Who cares" about the numbers? I don't.

Wolfebane

For these statistics to really mean anything shouldn't you also take into account the difference in population size and surrounding "hamlets" or little towns that are only there because of their proximity to the city (and some of those residents may work in the major city, and thus are "transient" residents). Also another thing to take into consideration is gang activity in the area as well as the ethnic breakdown of the residents? Also, strangely, weather has a lot to do with criminal activity.

sudden valley gunner

I don't approach gun rights from a crime prevention perspective. For me it's all about individual rights. I will never make any statistical argument for gun rights. I don't believe that correlation equals causality, unless there is a proven nexus.

"Who cares" about the numbers? I don't.

I see and understand your viewpoint and am more in line with your thinking, but I really love knowing things and statistics and it is fun blowing peoples misunderstandings out of the water. And just because you and I may not care about statistics don't mean it won't help others see things in a different light.

sudden valley gunner

For these statistics to really mean anything shouldn't you also take into account the difference in population size and surrounding "hamlets" or little towns that are only there because of their proximity to the city (and some of those residents may work in the major city, and thus are "transient" residents). Also another thing to take into consideration is gang activity in the area as well as the ethnic breakdown of the residents? Also, strangely, weather has a lot to do with criminal activity.

So does demographics (not ethnic, but economic).

Last edited:

rapgood

Who cares?

It's much like why I ride a Harley. If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

Point is that Seattle Mayor/residents think our gun laws are too lax.

Obviously you two [deanf and amlevin] don't [care] and hence think no one else should. :rolleyes:

I care because statistics like this show that an OC state like ours destroys the ridiculous and mythical "wild west" arguments by the anti's. So when someone wants proof of that I can now point to these ratio's.

Clearly, GD and SVG "get it."