• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This should be interesting...

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

So, I kid goes to a Catholic school (Pre-K through 8th) and they had an open house today. We're looking at putting her in Kindergarten, and I had neglected to ask her this question while I was there, so I just emailed her...

Mrs. Martin,

A question I did not have a chance to ask this morning during the open house came to me and I hope you don't mine me email it. It is a bit of a sensitive issue and I'm bringing it to you simply because of the media attention its gotten over the past decade.

My concern is that of security in that someone, with intent to do harm to teachers or children, gains access to the building. Do the teachers currently have the choice to carry a concealed weapon, if they're licensed to do so, in order to protect themselves and my child?

Regards,
My Signature
Anyone care to start placing bets on what her response will be?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

The reply will be;

Dear So and So,

Thank you for expressing your concern for your child's safety. At the Catholic School, we place a high priority on the safety of your child. For that reason, no weapons are allowed on our campus. With the recent epidemic of school violence, it is important that this policy is upheld to preserve a safe educational environment for the future generations to grow, learn, and mature. Thank you for your thoughts.

Signed,

The holy father, nun, pope, whomever

In other words, "are you crazy? NO guns are allowed. We throw rules out there that make everyone feel all fuzzy, warm, and safe, but they really do nothing to keep us safe."

kerchaulk

imported post

dngreer wrote:
The reply will be;

Dear So and So,

Thank you for expressing your concern for your child's safety. At the Catholic School, we place a high priority on the safety of your child. For that reason, no weapons are allowed on our campus. With the recent epidemic of school violence, it is important that this policy is upheld to preserve a safe educational environment for the future generations to grow, learn, and mature. Thank you for your thoughts.

Signed,

The holy father, nun, pope, whomever

In other words, "are you crazy? NO guns are allowed. We throw rules out there that make everyone feel all fuzzy, warm, and safe, but they really do nothing to keep us safe."
I would be surprised if this was not very close to what is replied. With all the crosses and holy water around, who needs guns to keep out the BG's? <sarcarm>

DeltaII5

imported post

Dear So and So

We have signs at all of the entrances of our school clearly stating that firearms are prohibited. We feel this measure clearly ensures safety of all of our pupils.

unrequited

imported post

if they respond like so, send this back:

gunfreezonecartoon.jpg

TrueBrit

imported post

No offence meant here, but if there are any nuns teaching at this school,your kid is probably safe!

I am perhaps the worst Catholic since Ghengis Khan, but when I was being educated, as a kid, by the Little Sisters of No Mercy, they carried an impressive array of offensive weaponry with which to belabour innattentive or unruly students!

As I recall, most of these old timey nuns were meaner than gut-shot grizzlies,so, no worries about your kid!

Maybe the modern nuns are more placid? I have severe doubts!;)

TrueBrit.