• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

WalkingWolf

I am getting a LCP for a pocket BUG... Has any one had problems with hornady critical duty/defense through it??

upgrading from a Cobra CA380... the gun that FTE, and double feeds every other round. -.-

As I understand it Cobra is formally a Lorcin, or something like that, a ring of fire gun. They are all made similar to Hi Points in design, or Hi Point is similar to them. Hi Points had some problems which they ironed out I hear, and are pretty reliable. Like Hi Point Cobra has a lifetime warranty of the gun, so send it back, they will fix it for free. I have checked revues on these guns out of curiosity, and surprisingly most of them are good. A lot of times it is ammo with a semi that is a problem.

One thing I have noticed for sure, if a Ruger fails or kabooms, or any other major brand it is blamed on the ammo. If it happens with a Saturday night special the gun is a POS. If you still have it send it back, get it repaired, if you don't want it I'll take it. I understand Hi Point was sent a C9 that the owners pet chewed up the grip and grip frame making it non functional. Clearly not fault of Hi Point, they repaired it for free, and gave the owner two new magazines as well. After hearing about it I will probably pick a Hi Point up for a range gun for the wife.

Last time I was on a public range, I saw about 10% problems with semi auto owners, and these were not the SNS, they were Glocks, Rugers, and S&W. Made me really appreciate my 1911 which performs 100% of the time. There have been kabooms with the LCP, and I have heard of FTE, and FTF, but I am sure it is the ammo.:rolleyes:

FreeInAZ

+ 1 Trillion! Ammo will be his biggest issue. Some (lots) of semi's are ammo picky on what you can feed them. With JHP defense ammo the problem is amplified. I have many pistols and all function flawlessly with the "right" ammo. Speaking of Hi-Points here's an example of defense ammo and feeding issues in my HP 45 shot at 7 yards. Loves WWB hollow points but jammed on the Federal Hydra-shoks. You have to spend some money most likely until you find the "sweetspot ammo" your LCP likes. Ask others what they have had good experiences with, it will save you time and money. ;)
[uploadfromtaptalk1370486106918.jpg

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

+ 1 Trillion! Ammo will be his biggest issue. Some (lots) of semi's are ammo picky on what you can feed them. With JHP defense ammo the problem is amplified. I have many pistols and all function flawlessly with the "right" ammo. Speaking of Hi-Points here's an example of defense ammo and feeding issues in my HP 45 shot at 7 yards. Loves WWB hollow points but jammed on the Federal Hydra-shoks. You have to spend some money most likely until you find the "sweetspot ammo" your LCP likes. Ask others what they have had good experiences with, it will save you time and money. ;)
[View attachment 10496

I look for the price of Hi Points to go up, if they have not. There have been torture tests to break them and they just will not break, and then the factory will replace or repair them. No questions asked. BTW I did some more digging and it seems HP bought out a company named Sundance which was the original design, except with a zinc frame. All of them have the same design, HP, Jimenez, Cobra, and they all have lifetime no question asked warranties. Like other brands they can be improved with a little ramp polish, which should be done by the factory, especially on expensive guns, but for some reason is not. One thing semi auto users must keep in mind is that light loaded ammo is prone to FTE, and FTF, the slide is not coming back with enough force. I have heard a lot of HP owners move away from white box ammo for this reason. I believe it is the problem with most semi autos that have problems outside of a poorly polished feed ramp.

FreeInAZ

@WalkingWolf

You are correct across the board. The price of The Hi-Points has gone up a little as people discover their pro's far outweigh their con's. Oh the HP that shot those sticky notes had never jammed until it did twice on the Federal hollow points. I think it had to do with decreased bullet weight (185 vs 230 gr.). I have personally spoken with the owner of Hi-Point Mr. Thomas Deeb when I called & asked to speak with a manager. What other gun manufacture can you call and get the owner on the phone? He is a super nice guy and I was just calling to compliment his service tech's who rebuilt my 20 year old JS9 (9mm alloy frame) to new condition & replaced all my mags (5) which I had sent in to aid in diagnostics and added another mag to cover the $9 it cost to mail it to them. Since then I have bought (3) 45 pistols & the 45 carbine. All shoot excellent. Plus they make great camp/boat/truck/car etc..etc.. guns. They have a life long customer here. :D Even though they crank out thousands of guns each year they are ran like the mom & pop country store where service still matters. They even have free shipping on parts / accessories / scopes /lasers/ mags / etc from their online store and usually cheaper than anywhere online.

Last edited: