• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thunder Over Louisville Firearm Ban

boohickey11

imported post

I'm wondering if LMPD has the right to ban firearms at Thunder? I think the question is who owns the property most people are on when they attend. Even then do they have the right to ban open-carry?

If they really don't have the authority then I it should be made clear to them.

mike m

imported post

Not sure we have a little thing in Paducah KY every year called BBQ on the river, I O.C. there every time with no permit. Also talked to upper LEO about this said it should be legal. This was Paducah LEO not Louisville (IANAL).Good luck man..

boohickey11

imported post

I sent them this email to info@kdf.org.

I was just wondering under who's authority that there is a complete firearms ban at Waterfront Park during Thunder Over Louisville?

According to http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/065-00/870.PDF neither the city of Louisville, Jefferson County, or their police forces has the right to prohibit firearms.

According to http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/115.PDF the only authority the City of Louisville has is to ban concealed deadly weapons in buildings (not grounds) that are owned by the city. This does NOT include the open carry of firearms which is unrestricted on ALL public property within the state of Kentucky.

I request that the list of prohibited items at Waterfront Park located here, http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org/visitors/documents/Thunder%20prohibited%20items%20-%20LMPD.doc,
be changed so as not to imply that firearms are completely prohibited and can, in fact, be legally carried.
I encourage you guys to email something similar. Maybe we can get their attention.

v8shoguy

imported post

Any answer on this yet? I had a run-in with a Jeff. Co. Sheriff during the airshow last year and I was OUTSIDE of the CPZ. They threatened to take me to jail for OC. Would really like to OC down there this year as it seems they don't have the authority. I love how constitutional rights are suspended "for everyone's good."

v8shoguy

imported post

I'm with you on the emails. It should get some sort of response.

13thlevel

imported post

boohickey11 wrote:
I'm wondering if LMPD has the right to ban firearms at Thunder? I think the question is who owns the property most people are on when they attend. Even then do they have the right to ban open-carry?

If they really don't have the authority then I it should be made clear to them.

I would recommend finding a viewing point that is not within LMPD "restricted area".

Attachments

• blast.jpg
    blast.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 652

PFC Helms

imported post

Just a quick thought, wouldn't it be a little bit more constructiveto e-mailing LMPD and JCSO themselves.Instead of the KDF.inc considering they are the Chief Law Enforcement Agencies in charge of Security for the Event? just wondering.

Helms, Thomas S

PFC

1/149th BSTB

U.S. Army

v8shoguy

imported post

PFC Helms wrote:
Just a quick thought, wouldn't it be a little bit more constructiveto e-mailing LMPD and JCSO themselves.Instead of the KDF.inc considering they are the Chief Law Enforcement Agencies in charge of Security for the Event? just wondering.
Here's why:

[font="'PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'"]
Also during the time of this incident, "Thunder over Louisville" was underway and "Thunder " officals had forbidden any firearms to be brought into the viewing areas of "Thunder". Furhtermore, after the incident on 04-16-2007 in Blacksburg, VA, all law enforcement officers have a heightened awareness of anyone carrying a firearm near or in areas where large number of people may gather.

This is from a letter I recieved last year after I was nearly taken to jail for OC. I was out of the viewing area, FWIW. May go down there this year too. There's a part of waterfront park that is outside of the CPZ, no issues there last year. Public property.

[/font]

Chief8000

imported post

so what is the general consinces here carry or no carry? I just recently got my concealed carry license and I am going to be going to thunder and was thinking about carrying.

boohickey11

imported post

It would be at your own risk. They SHOULDN'T be able to do anything since they have no jurisdiction but then why does the 2nd Amendent not allow for concealed/open carry. Do you know what I'm saying?

Chief8000

imported post

Unfortunately I guess I will just leave it home it is this quote from the thunder web site that makes me leary "Due to increased security - all persons and parcels are subject to search." oh well.

v8shoguy

imported post

The simple solution is view from outside the "official" viewing area. I went to the east side of the park, on the waterfront, that is outside the viewing area. Still a great view.

Chief8000

imported post

I would but i go with a big group of friends and I am the only one that carries so they won't change plans just for me lol

rentamedic

imported post

i know this is late but yes you can opencarry and hide if you wish this year was told to a chair member of thunder and was asked why i was not going down this year when i told him about my handgun he said that i could that they were informed of the laws in this great state

Chief8000

imported post

well if that is the case then they still publicized for no firearms I was going to take mine concealed but when i got to my friends house and was watching the news they were listing things you could not bring and they said you can not bring your firearms with you so i just left it in the car, however after being down there no body would have noticed and it wouldn't have been an issue. oh well.