• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to retry constitutional carry bill?

IA_farmboy

With a transfer of power in the Iowa General Assembly is it time to try to get constitutional carry in Iowa? I don't recall the specifics on what held up the constitutional carry bill that was introduced to the Assembly a few years ago but I'd tend to think that this may be a good time to try again. What do you think?

WalkingWolf

I believe you will see a reciprocity bill signed in the first 6 months. It will be good for concealed carry, but I am not to thrilled with the federal government dictating rights/privileges.

What I did see with this election is we have the states to amend the constitution to restore the bill of rights to their intended purpose. This is something we should push for, hopefully a movement starts.

IA_farmboy

...hopefully a movement starts.
I believe a movement has already started. We are seeing a general push back on the government telling us what we can and cannot do, especially on a state level.

We've seen report suppressors (AKA "silencers" but I hate that name) get legalized for possession and hunting in several states, including Iowa. We've seen movements towards shall issue carry and permitless carry in several states. We've seen marijuana be legalized on the state level, I just heard on the radio about several states that had a vote to legalize recreational and medical marijuana but I don't recall the exact results.

Concealed carry reciprocity, on a state or federal level, would certainly be a gain and I'd welcome it if it came to be. We've seen several states get permitless carry in the past decade, it would be nice to see that trend move forward even if it did not come to Iowa right away. We have shall issue now, and a pretty good reciprocity, so I'm willing to be patient to get something better.

While I can wait for permitless carry I do recognize that there are times where bringing it to vote has better chances than others for a pass. I believe that we will see a good opportunity for that soon.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
amaixner you should follow up on this. Montana just went "permittless" and Texas and Louisiana are setting themselves up to be next. That will be numbers 21 and twenty-two.

amaixner

amaixner you should follow up on this. Montana just went "permittless" and Texas and Louisiana are setting themselves up to be next. That will be numbers 21 and twenty-two.
not exactly sure what to follow up on -- but here's some articles about it:

KBCraig

Louisiana passed constitutional carry by veto-proof majorities. Gov. Edwards vetoed the bill, prompting a veto override session.

Three Republicans and one Democrat flipped their votes, and the override failed.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I wonder what the governor gave away to flip those votes.

Here in Wis. Governor Doyle gave away a judgeship to stop a over ride of a CCW bill around 2008?

That one vote was all it took.

KBCraig

I wonder what the governor gave away to flip those votes.

Here in Wis. Governor Doyle gave away a judgeship to stop a over ride of a CCW bill around 2008?

That one vote was all it took.
I doubt the LA governor promised anything.

Those who flipped felt comfortable voting for passage of the original bill knowing that Edwards would veto, and LA had never before had a veto override session.

All of a sudden they had to choose again, and the police industry brought all the pressure to bear.

Gypsy47

Keep up the good fight, for Constitutional Carry with NO permits, from a native born Iowan :)