• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toddler fatally shoots mom in Idaho Walmart

OC for ME

Another of the infinitely split fringe.

In SC, a gun must be concealed by ordinarily worn clothing, mooting purse and briefcases as legal concealment off-body.
If my DW is to be considered a expert a purse is just as much clothing as the clothes that she wears. Self preservation does not permit me to argue the validity of this this/her contention. I know cops in SC and have kin in SC that are cops, a purse is perfectly legal for the concealment of a gat in their opinion.

WalkingWolf

If my DW is to be considered a expert a purse is just as much clothing as the clothes that she wears. Self preservation does not permit me to argue the validity of this this/her contention. I know cops in SC and have kin in SC that are cops, a purse is perfectly legal for the concealment of a gat in their opinion.

I might be wrong, but I think the point he was getting across is that there really is no off body OC, unless the gun is in the hand, or sitting out in the open. This came from a members comment that proper OC may have saved this woman's life.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With all due respect, their opinions are still not legal opinions. Wonder if this has ever been tested in court and what the outcome was.

A picture is worth a thousand words - http://www.charlestonlaw.net/handgun-carry-laws-south-carolina/

• shutterstock_125121446.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL Trolling for clients. The law is a donkey that lawyers ride to work.

Note that I did not endorse what the picture implies - just pointed it out. Interesting that the question thereby created was not addressed.

Returning you to the on topic discussion as determined by the OP.

Maverick9

If we spent half the time working to further our rights as we do arguing and disagreeing with each other and compiling a litany of "You said,I said"...

Bear in mind that 'in person' we would find each other almost of like mind and fun to be around - but on a forum, where people are by design argumentative, cranky and belligerent and even playing devil's advocate it's different. I would take anything said here as more than just rowdy beer-hall talk and certainly nothing to hold a grudge over or even be piqued.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bear in mind that 'in person' we would find each other almost of like mind and fun to be around - but on a forum, where people are by design argumentative, cranky and belligerent and even playing devil's advocate it's different. I would take anything said here as more than just rowdy beer-hall talk and certainly nothing to hold a grudge over or even be piqued.

I understand that completely; however, what we must keep in mind is the exceptionally large public audience (not registered users) that are media, politicians, fence sitters, antis, etc. OCDO is very public and it behooves us to take the high road - discuss facts, not personal differences replete with insults. We do not need to damage our own image - public relations is an important element.

OCDO is neither a beer hall nor a good ol' boy's private club.....so we ask that user/members be self moderating. If everyone did that effectively, I might be out of a job :lol:

OC for ME

With all due respect, their opinions are still not legal opinions. Wonder if this has ever been tested in court and what the outcome was. ...
Nightmare provided the law as to what is concealable, not what is "concealing."
SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

blah blah blah ...
The carry of a gat, in a purse, is perfectly legal in SC, with a permit of course.

OC for ME

I might be wrong, but I think the point he was getting across is that there really is no off body OC, unless the gun is in the hand, or sitting out in the open. This came from a members comment that proper OC may have saved this woman's life.
It may have been a mistyping of a train of thought. I'm just asking. Either it is (you are) OC or CC, the term "on or about the/his/her person" (and variations of this) are in every CC law that I know of when "defining" what concealed carry "means."

She tried a new manner of carry it seems and failed to consider the ramifications of this if she "forgets" about the firearm and those able to access it.

I agree, properly holstered on-body OC or CC would have completely mitigated this incident...except pocket carry.

MKEgal

OC for ME said:
She tried a new manner of carry it seems and failed to consider the ramifications of this if she "forgets" about the firearm and those able to access it.
Exactly this.
When I first got my cc purse, I spent a couple months with an orange plastic training pistol in the holster, to condition myself to treat the purse like a gun. (And if I screwed up, the consequences weren't dire.) I didn't want to ever do something stupid like this woman did.

WalkingWolf said:
This event makes it clear why carrying should be done in a proper holster.
carracer said:
Just loose in a purse is a recipe for disaster.
The Truth said:
Who pocket/purse carries with a round in the chamber and no safety or holster?
It was in a cc purse. Generally those have holsters in the separate compartment made for the pistol.

FreeInAZ said:
This why I advise women against purse carry in general. It is way to (sic) easy for a pistol in a improper or no holster to get caught up in the rats nest that many women carry for a purse. i
Disclaimer- there are specific purses deigned to carry a pistol, but what if that cool purse gets snatched by a purse snatcher? The crook now has a nice purse to hock & the pistol it contained.
So teach people that nothing but the pistol should be in that compartment. Problem solved. Don't discourage a whole method of carry because you think some people would be careless/stupid.

If the purse is carried securely, it's not likely to be stolen. This woman appears to have left hers in the grocery cart, which is a dumb move for anyone with any purse (or other valuable). Carry it cross-body, or put the handles over a shoulder & hold it against the body with the upper arm, just like any other purse.

Rusty Young Man

I feel sorry for the child, who will probably have this hang over his head for the rest of his life, as well as the mother, who will no longer have the opportunity to see her child grow up.:(

Not only is this a tragedy, but the antis are sure to pick it up as "logical, irrefutable, 100% true proof" :)rolleyes:) that their emotion-driven logic and rantings are the solution to the world's problems.
Also waiting for the inevitable vitriol from their openly blood-thirsty ranks, the same ones we've seen wish for all Lawfully Armed Citizens to die.

Last edited:

OC for ME

The only rule I have for my DW is that she must at all times have positive control of her firearm. How she accomplishes this, I defer to her. Now, my definition of positive control may be different than hers from time to time.