• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TPSO encounter

NRAMARINE

Today at the Hammond Wally world. Went in to sporting goods with my daughter to get some ammo. Got some 12 ga. shells and had a brief conversation with a female employee about oc. I then noticed they had .38's in stock. I asked her to reopen the case so I could buy some. Another employee told me they couldn't sell pistol ammo to someone who is armed. I explained that I carried a 9mm and the .38's were for my wife. Still no dice. Then it got interesting..................

Apparently a plain clothes mgr called in a MWAG. I was still standing by the ammo case when 2 TPSO deputies flanked me. The first a very large African american, the one behind me a shorter older caucasian with a moustache. The first deputy( who did all the talking) asked me what department I was working with. I replied " No dept., just a legally armed citizen." He said " You need to take that to your vehicle." I asked him why and he said again "You can't just walk around witha gun like that. It's policy." I asked " Who's policy?" He said again, " You can't just walk around with a gun like that" I then said, " And I'm asking you who's policy that is, because open carry is legal in La." He then said, "It's TPSO's policy." I stated that contradicts state law. He then said "OK I'm gonna make one call and see." He wandered off abit to make his call while the other deputy said nothing and just kind of stood there. After a few moments I saw the first deputy walk over to the other side of the gun counter and speak to the mgr who made the call. The other deputy then walked over as well. After a few moments I walked over and asked if I was free to continue my shopping. I was told to "Hold on a sec. he told me he was waiting on word from the store mgr. to see if I could remain with a weapon. " while it is legal, they have the right to decide what they allow." I explained that I understood it was private property and so forth. The deputy then walked over to the plain clothes mgr. and spoke again. He then returned and said," You are welcome to walk around the store and continue your shopping, however they will not sell pistol ammo while you are armed." I then removed the 12 ga. shells from the basket and asked the plain clothes mgr. If I could still purchase them. He looked nervous and just nodded and left. I Then caught up to the deputies and apologized for their inconvenience ( taking the high road) and explained that I had been oc'ing in that store for some time with no problems and wasn't trying to alarm anyone. The first deputy said " That's ok, people sometimes see a gun and no badge and freak out. Someone called a MWAG and we had to check." I told him I understood and he stated " Wal Mart has too much money in this place, some wacko could come in and just go crazy." I told him that I'd rather someone be openly armed, than concealed. He agreed, I gave him a LOCAL flier and we shook hands and I continued my shopping with no further incident.

After he got off the phone his demeanor changed somewhat and he was totally courteous and polite about the whole thing. Apparently whoever he called told him the facts. But I still didn't get the .38's.

NRAMARINE

Thanks, it started to get a little tense when I tried to explain that oc was legal,he kind of rolled his eyes and got a little testy. Whoever he spoke to on the phone however did have an effect on his demeanor. I admit I got a little tense too, until I saw him speaking to the mgr. I got the feeling then that the facts had been relayed to him. I probably could have handled it a little better at first, but in the end it came out good and ended on a pleasant and respectful note.

Except I didn't get the damn .38's. That's a stupid policy, IMHO.

Curmudgeon

Thanks, it started to get a little tense when I tried to explain that oc was legal,he kind of rolled his eyes and got a little testy. Whoever he spoke to on the phone however did have an effect on his demeanor. I admit I got a little tense too, until I saw him speaking to the mgr. I got the feeling then that the facts had been relayed to him. I probably could have handled it a little better at first, but in the end it came out good and ended on a pleasant and respectful note.

Except I didn't get the damn .38's. That's a stupid policy, IMHO.

Unless you know this to be policy for a fact, you may want to look into it as well. Although my experiences are limited to one WalMart here in Pennsylvania, I have been purchasing ammo while OCing for almost 2 years now. Never a word from anyone about purchasing while carrying.

I have been told I couldn't purchase ammo after midnight (I think it was). The employee seemed to agree when I rolled my eyes over that one, however, I do understand the store is staffed for stocking and there is a dearth of management, so...

Anyway, I also thought I would extend a frosty one for the way you handled this.

beer.gif

Hef

When the Walmart gun counter clerk asks, "what's this ammo for - handgun or long gun?", I always reply, "submachinegun". That tends to dissuade further questioning. Given the general firearms ignorance of most Walmart salespeople, I doubt anyone would call you on it if you answered the same while buying .38 Special ammo.

NRAMARINE

The original woman who said it is an older lady I know pretty well, so I didn't push the issue. I once had an employee tell me I couldn't buy #4 shot 12 ga ( off the shelf, not the case) before 6am. Went back, to a different cashier before 6am and bought the shells without a word said. She said someone had been fired for it. I figured this was a battle for another day. I will look into it, however in the big picture of this experience I'd all it a minor aggravation rather than a primary issue. I do have about 1500 rds of those anyway. Just wanted to add to my inventory. Next time if my wife is with me I'll hand her the cash and say "OK, I'm not buying them, she is." They're for her afterall.

Curmudgeon, thanks for the frosty. I did get one of those when I got home.

NRAMARINE

When the Walmart gun counter clerk asks, "what's this ammo for - handgun or long gun?", I always reply, "submachinegun". That tends to dissuade further questioning. Given the general firearms ignorance of most Walmart salespeople, I doubt anyone would call you on it if you answered the same while buying .38 Special ammo.

What's funny is that they make you pay for handgun ammo and rifle ammo at the gun counter. But they keep the Federal HANDGUN .410 loads for my judge in the case, but you can pay for those up front because they're shotgun shells. Also .22's can go up front since they work in both long and short guns. Weird. Also I get carded for aerosol gun cleaner, but not shotgun shells.

Last edited:

estcrh

Today at the Hammond Wally world. Went in to sporting goods with my daughter to get some ammo. Got some 12 ga. shells and had a brief conversation with a female employee about oc. I then noticed they had .38's in stock. I asked her to reopen the case so I could buy some. Another employee told me they couldn't sell pistol ammo to someone who is armed. I explained that I carried a 9mm and the .38's were for my wife. Still no dice. Then it got interesting..................

Apparently a plain clothes mgr called in a MWAG. I was still standing by the ammo case when 2 TPSO deputies flanked me. The first a very large African american, the one behind me a shorter older caucasian with a moustache. The first deputy( who did all the talking) asked me what department I was working with. I replied " No dept., just a legally armed citizen." He said " You need to take that to your vehicle." I asked him why and he said again "You can't just walk around witha gun like that. It's policy." I asked " Who's policy?" He said again, " You can't just walk around with a gun like that" I then said, " And I'm asking you who's policy that is, because open carry is legal in La." He then said, "It's TPSO's policy." I stated that contradicts state law. He then said "OK I'm gonna make one call and see." He wandered off abit to make his call while the other deputy said nothing and just kind of stood there. After a few moments I saw the first deputy walk over to the other side of the gun counter and speak to the mgr who made the call. The other deputy then walked over as well. After a few moments I walked over and asked if I was free to continue my shopping. I was told to "Hold on a sec. he told me he was waiting on word from the store mgr. to see if I could remain with a weapon. " while it is legal, they have the right to decide what they allow." I explained that I understood it was private property and so forth. The deputy then walked over to the plain clothes mgr. and spoke again. He then returned and said," You are welcome to walk around the store and continue your shopping, however they will not sell pistol ammo while you are armed." I then removed the 12 ga. shells from the basket and asked the plain clothes mgr. If I could still purchase them. He looked nervous and just nodded and left. I Then caught up to the deputies and apologized for their inconvenience ( taking the high road) and explained that I had been oc'ing in that store for some time with no problems and wasn't trying to alarm anyone. The first deputy said " That's ok, people sometimes see a gun and no badge and freak out. Someone called a MWAG and we had to check." I told him I understood and he stated " Wal Mart has too much money in this place, some wacko could come in and just go crazy." I told him that I'd rather someone be openly armed, than concealed. He agreed, I gave him a LOCAL flier and we shook hands and I continued my shopping with no further incident.

After he got off the phone his demeanor changed somewhat and he was totally courteous and polite about the whole thing. Apparently whoever he called told him the facts. But I still didn't get the .38's.

If you don't act nervous or are throwing the fact that you are oc'ing in people's face most people tend to accept it at face value that you know what you're doing and behaving like a normal person. I have found that when I have my family with me I get a lot less looks or the ones I do get are more pleasant. People tend to see a family man, not just a MWAG. For those who are apprehensive about oc, it has a lot to do with poise and conduct.

COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack (AGAIN). :(

sraacke

I guess it just was not your day...you had your lucky charm with you and all that poise and still got the average Joe harassment job. I guess your not any better then anyone else after all.

Hey! Don't make be break out more gay Star Trek photos. I'll do it. I ain't bluffing. (shakes fist in air)

rotty

I was in Wal Mart yesterday in Apple Valley MN and was carrying my G22c OC and purchased 500 rds of .40 cal federal without anyone batting an eye. I actually had a lengthy conversation with 3 employees and the only comment that was made about my sidearm was " thats a sharp Glock" .. strange how policy is so different at Wal Mart's across the country.

NRAMARINE

Hey! Don't make be break out more gay Star Trek photos. I'll do it. I ain't bluffing. (shakes fist in air)

Please don't. Just us the the magic button. BTW, I just ordered 500rds (.38) from Cabela's that'll do me for now. ( They're having an ammo sale)

Last edited:

charlie12

I was in Wal Mart yesterday in Apple Valley MN and was carrying my G22c OC and purchased 500 rds of .40 cal federal without anyone batting an eye. I actually had a lengthy conversation with 3 employees and the only comment that was made about my sidearm was " thats a sharp Glock" .. strange how policy is so different at Wal Mart's across the country.

I don't think it's policy. I think everybody at Walmart wants to be in charge.

I have a friend that delivers the newspapers to Walmart seems like every night somebody is trying to play manager and tell her something different. Sat. night she said fine she would do it her (so called manager) way but she needed her write it down a sign her name on it so she could turn it it to the store manager and the paper company.
The so called manager back down and went away.

NRAMARINE

charlie 12, I'm fairly sure you are correct. However I felt like that's a discussion to have with upper mgmt on another day. In the long run, 2 TPSO deputies learned the facts about oc, and it only cost me about 15 mins. In the long run I say score one for the good guys. I continued on with my business, I would also like to add that at no time was I asked for ID, disarmed, or physically accosted or had my rights violated. The deputies were a bit argumentative with a " I know the law" attitude at first. However whoever he spoke too must've set the record straight. You might even say he went into CYA mode.I guess the argument could be made that I was technically detained, however it was brief and ultimately IMHO, productive.