• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic Stop / Police Encounter in Alstead

Riana

Well, first time I've ever been stopped in NH, and first time I've ever been stopped while armed. I crossed the double yellow line trying to avoid a car that was sticking out in the road, and then saw blue lights in the rear view. :banghead:

The officer came up and asked if I knew why he'd pulled me over. I explained the vehicle that was nosed into the road, but that didn't seem to help. When he asked for license and registration, I handed him my license and non-resident permit, informing him that I was carrying my sidearm. He nodded, asked where it was (left hip), and I reached over to the glove box for my registration (giving him a good view of my Springfield in the process).

He thanked me for letting him know about the firearm, asked what I was carrying (Springfield 1911) and complemented me on it. He laughingly asked if I was going to shoot him (no :)) and if it was loaded (of course), then asked me to keep my hands on the wheel while he ran my paperwork. Everything must have come back fine, because he handed everything back to me and sent us on our way with just a warning.

All-in-all, it was a very professional, relaxed stop.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, first time I've ever been stopped in NH, and first time I've ever been stopped while armed. I crossed the double yellow line trying to avoid a car that was sticking out in the road, and then saw blue lights in the rear view. :banghead:

The officer came up and asked if I knew why he'd pulled me over. I explained the vehicle that was nosed into the road, but that didn't seem to help. When he asked for license and registration, I handed him my license and non-resident permit, informing him that I was carrying my sidearm. He nodded, asked where it was (left hip), and I reached over to the glove box for my registration (giving him a good view of my Springfield in the process).

He thanked me for letting him know about the firearm, asked what I was carrying (Springfield 1911) and complemented me on it. He laughingly asked if I was going to shoot him (no :)) and if it was loaded (of course), then asked me to keep my hands on the wheel while he ran my paperwork. Everything must have come back fine, because he handed everything back to me and sent us on our way with just a warning.

All-in-all, it was a very professional, relaxed stop.

Ah, finally an example of a positive police encounter. I knew they were possible. Thanks for sharing.

28kfps

Sounds like a good open carry public relations. You found a well behaved cop and he got a lesson on, there is respectfully and professional armed civilians. I am surprised even as humor he would ask if you were going to shoot him. Not condemning the commit just appeared to be a slip in professionalism. Law enforcement often finds themselves defending a statement they say after a jerk of a person decides later there a so called victim of a LEO encounter.

Badger Johnson

Well, -I- think you should have stopped dead in the road and had a siesta while awaiting the person who parked out in the street to come out and move his car, letting the LEO sit there behind you. Then you could have done a citizen's stop when he crossed the double yellow. /sarcasm.

It's not illegal to cross the double yellow to avoid an obstruction. BTW, when he asks you why he stopped you, just say 'why did you stop me, officer'. Don't fess up to anything. :)

Gunslinger

Sitting at a stop sign in the boonies. County sheriff pulls up opposite at the sign across the highway and lights me up with Ka band--the covette invites cops like a heat seeker from a Viper...Passport goes crazy. I stick my arm out as he pulls up alongside and ask "how fast was I going?" He says "just wanted you to op check your radar detector." We both laugh, he sees my Vietnam Veteran's cap on the dash and says "Thank you for your service. My dad was there." I tell him to say "welcome home" to his dad and to stay safe. We cop bashers are everywhere...

Riana

Well, -I- think you should have stopped dead in the road and had a siesta while awaiting the person who parked out in the street to come out and move his car, letting the LEO sit there behind you. Then you could have done a citizen's stop when he crossed the double yellow. /sarcasm.

It's not illegal to cross the double yellow to avoid an obstruction. BTW, when he asks you why he stopped you, just say 'why did you stop me, officer'. Don't fess up to anything. :)

I was certain that it was better to cross the line to avoid something rather than come to a full stop, or hit it. He apparently did not see what I was seeing - the car rolling back and forth (think a multi-point turn around in a tight spot), and nosing into the road sometimes. I think it was just that I pulled out MUCH earlier than I probably should have. If he'd been looking for it, he probably would have noticed I was speeding (not sure, but likely on that stretch). :p

Riana

I respectfully disagree.

An American citizen was seized with neither probable cause nor reasonable suspicion. The cop can't have missed the car that you dodged.

I think he might have, or didn't see one of the times when the car nosed into the road. He probably initially chalked my actions up to driving dangerously by crossing over the double-line when I shouldn't have.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think he might have, or didn't see one of the times when the car nosed into the road. He probably initially chalked my actions up to driving dangerously by crossing over the double-line when I shouldn't have.

OK.

Lets explore a tad bit further? Did he ask how much you had to drink? Did he stand beside the car where he could observe you for bloodshot eyes? Ask you to take a field sobriety test? Lean in close to where he could smell for alcohol or marijuana?

MagsH2

I would say that was a smooth incident and you were from out of state, is that correct?
OC, CC and guns are nothing new here in NH. We just have alot of MA liberals living here, screwing things up.. I would expect the state police to do nothing more than what they did. Good job on both your parts.

Riana

OK.

Lets explore a tad bit further? Did he ask how much you had to drink? Did he stand beside the car where he could observe you for bloodshot eyes? Ask you to take a field sobriety test? Lean in close to where he could smell for alcohol or marijuana?

We did talk quite a bit, and yes, he would have seen bloodshot eyes from where he was standing.

I didn't consider it an unreasonable stop. Like I said, I did cross the double-line with not just two, but all four tires. I should have been ticketed. I lucked out.

Last edited: