• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transport of firearms in New Mexico for NON-citizen????

ruskiegunlover

I am driving to Sante Fe this coming thursday night, and have a ccw from Kansas. Spending friday morning with a couple I am friends with, then heading up to colorado springs for a friends bachelor party, and I know i can carry in colorado. But, I cannot carry in New Mexico, so upon entering the state, what should I do with my firearm? I do intend to bring my beretta, and a makarov.

Thanks guys for any info. I intend to call the State Attorney Generals office tommorow, to try and find out.

ruskiegunlover

Ok, I just checked the Kansas Attorney Generals office website, and now New Mexico recognizes my licence......Still how do they like firearms transported? Any particulars or advice? I will still call to verify......

AH.74

In NM you do not need a license to carry concealed or open in the vehicle. There are really no restrictions as to how you can transport guns (of any sort- long guns or handguns, loaded or not) in vehicles- they are considered an extension of the home. You do not need to lock them up or do anything else.

So really, you are good to go. Enjoy your time here.

AH.74

AH.74, Since you live there and I don't you may want to advise him on traveling thru them "PESKY INDIAN RESERVATIONS", I would hate for him to have a bad experience. thanks Jerry

I actually did think of that after posting, but based upon his route I didn't think it was really necessary. Whether he goes straight up North out of Santa Fe or chooses to go up I25 into CO, there's not a lot to be worried about. And coming in from the East, there are no reservations over there either.

For the record- if you do happen to find yourself on one of the reservations, it's a good idea to unload your guns and lock them in the trunk of your vehicle to avoid the possibility of a problem. If no trunk, a lock box as far away from the driver's seat would be advisable.