• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel From Colorado to Florida

Jaamzbond

Planning a trip from Colorado to Florida and will be carrying fire arm. I would like to hear suggestions on proceeding through each State legally. Route will be Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. I do not yet have concealed carry permit in CO. Thanks for input.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Planning a trip from Colorado to Florida and will be carrying fire arm. I would like to hear suggestions on proceeding through each State legally. Route will be Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. I do not yet have concealed carry permit in CO. Thanks for input.

www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource in addition to whatever expertise you can get from knowledgeable locals. It is updated regularly, and has a great track record of accuracy, referred to by many instructors in several states.

Research the FGFSZA before you sweat about it. It's impotent. Be mindful of states that may have similar local laws, however.

On the tangent: I've never liked the term "Constitutional Carry." It's usually not. It implies there are no laws restricting the state Constitutional right to bear arms, not that there are laws that make exceptions to other laws, with restrictions. Vermont is an actual Constitutional carry state. States like Arizona are a so-called "Constitutional Carry" state.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

On the tangent: I've never liked the term "Constitutional Carry." It's usually not. It implies there are no laws restricting the state Constitutional right to bear arms, not that there are laws that make exceptions to other laws, with restrictions. Vermont is an actual Constitutional carry state. States like Arizona are a so-called "Constitutional Carry" state.
I understand your position most clearly.

However, we haz to call it somethin' and the descriptor has become fairly commonly recognized as where and when a person not otherwise restricted has the personal choice of how they carry........subject to details of where, when, why, how and what etc, etc.

Pretty simple - no? :p

twoskinsonemanns

Considering the 2nd and 14th amendment you are free to carry traveling through any state. lol No not really. This isn't the land of the free or anything.
I make a trek from WV to Co every once in a while. There's really no choice if you want to be legal. When approaching a commie state I unload and lock the gun in a case. And I don't make any unnecessary stops. Then when I am out of said commie state I re-arm.