• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling Through Your State

ADulay

I'm sure this has been covered before but bringing up some searches didn't pull anything up.

As we'll be on our annual 'out west' trip again after Sturgis, I would like to know if there will be any problems with us carrying our normal CCW/OC guns in California?

Yes, they will be unloaded and locked in the saddlebags or tank bags as this is California after all.

Basically what I'm asking is what's the best way (and legal, of course) to carry our weapons from the top of the state to the bottom without a crisis along the way.

AD (Florida)

markm

I'm sure this has been covered before but bringing up some searches didn't pull anything up.

As we'll be on our annual 'out west' trip again after Sturgis, I would like to know if there will be any problems with us carrying our normal CCW/OC guns in California?

Yes, they will be unloaded and locked in the saddlebags or tank bags as this is California after all.

Basically what I'm asking is what's the best way (and legal, of course) to carry our weapons from the top of the state to the bottom without a crisis along the way.

AD (Florida)

Hey AD,

You've got it right. Keep the guns unloaded and locked in a secure container.

If you are stopped by a revenue agent for a moving violation, ****(shut your mouth). If the revenue agent asks to search your saddlebags, respond with: Officer, may I see the search warrant and how did you get one so quickly? Oh, no warrant...and no searching of my personal belongings.

markm

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
If you're gonna keep your firearms unloaded and locked then the main thing you need to be mindful of is to not bring magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds into the state (unless the magazines were in California prior to January 1, 2000, then you can bring them back in legally). If you have standard mags and you're bringing them with you and they weren't in California prior to 1/1/2000, then you can disassemble them before coming into the state and still be legal, just don't assemble them until you leave.

Your container that is holding your firearms has to be fully-enclosed and locked. You can have loaded magazines (with the above caveat of course) but they can't be inserted into the firearm.

Firemark

Also highly recommend that you find a "local" open carry advocate if you plan to carry and have them help you with the pitfalls and problems of the particualr area you choose to carry in (open carry that is). There are quite a host of issues and mine fields to avoid in the State.

ADulay

Thanks for all the information. It looks like the three of us will wind up basically "unarmed" for a few days during the California portion of this ride.

I'll continue to read your state area here for more tips and get up to speed on what the current situation is on the west coast.

Once again, thanks for the intel.

AD

ADulay

Hopefully this isn't off topic but as a person traveling through your state, I've got another question.

I read in a lot of your messages here about being able to open carry, concealed carry or whatever carry you do. However in the same breath, you also state something about watching out for the "School Zones".

From what I've been reading, are you implying that merely driving through a school zone, with a weapon, is illegal?

There's a school on every other street!

I can see not carrying in a school, or standing around near the school (lame) or sitting in the parking lot, but merely driving by on the highway with no intention of stopping?

Or did I miss a lot of previous information on this one.

Is the school zone tactic really that big in California?

AD

Firemark

Hopefully this isn't off topic but as a person traveling through your state, I've got another question.

I read in a lot of your messages here about being able to open carry, concealed carry or whatever carry you do. However in the same breath, you also state something about watching out for the "School Zones".

From what I've been reading, are you implying that merely driving through a school zone, with a weapon, is illegal?

There's a school on every other street!

I can see not carrying in a school, or standing around near the school (lame) or sitting in the parking lot, but merely driving by on the highway with no intention of stopping?

Or did I miss a lot of previous information on this one.

Is the school zone tactic really that big in California?

AD

Here is a map to show you some school zones plotted out. 1000ft. gun free school zones
Thank you SBOC

So just to be clear, in California you may Open Carry in a holster clearly visible from 3 sides of your body, either as a pedestrian, bicycling, or driving in a car so long as the weapon has no ammunition loaded in it from a position to be fired. (mags on belt holster, speed loaders for revolvers can be in your pocket). YOU MAY NOT OPEN CARRY within 1000 feet of any k-12 school property boundary. (includes private, charter, religious, specialty, etc). If you travel thru a school zone you must lock your weapon in a fully enclosed container with a lock (ammo can be in the container but not in the weapon). Also cant carry either method on govt property such as post office, police/fire station, city hall, public library.

GFSZ's are the defacto ban imposed on us by the Brady campaign and the liberal democrats running this state. Welcome to Commiefornia!