• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trooper charged after shooting man during traffic stop

Kopis

Ive seen a lot of LEO shootings that i felt should've been charged and weren't so i was pretty surprised at this one. I watched it several times and the guy kind of darts back in his car in a way that i would've construed as going for a weapon had i been in his shoes. Secondly, who gets out of their car during a stop then darts back in without telling the LEO what they are doing first? Anyway, just thought i would share.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...captured-in-shock-footage-get-out-of-the-car/

sudden valley gunner

So you would have shot a guy going for his wallet after you told him to?

Yet there was cover right there with his car. Jumpy state agents trained to shoot first and ask questions later.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

Seems he is a very well trained police man...:eek:
all shots from about 7 FEET.
1st shot is in the back
2nd shot in the hip,,, i think this is the 1 that got him
the cop is shooting before he can see his hands

3rd shot the driver is facing the cop with hands down
4th shot,, the money shot,,,
the well trained police man shoots a man that has his Empty hands up!!!

Did they ever find all the bullets?

Will they ever offer the well trained police man a chance to re-qualify at the shooting range?

Last edited:

Primus

Glad to see he got fired and charged. I don't know his back story as to why he's so jumpy but he doesn't belong on the road if that's all it takes to shoot someone.

It didn't mention if he victim is getting a settlement but it seems pretty slam dunk he would.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Sooo,,, unlike the crawford case, where the cops shot because he did NOT,,, cooperate....

this guy cooperated by trying to get his license, as ordered....
then he was ordered to,,, get out of the car!!!
aND hE DID!!! Sooo when he did Get out of the Car,,, quickly!! the cop was quite adamant!!!
The well trained police man shot him!

F350

So you would have shot a guy going for his wallet after you told him to?

Yet there was cover right there with his car. Jumpy state agents trained to shoot first and ask questions later.

Also looks to me like the guy was out of his vehicle BEFORE the SOB pulled up, then SOB was going to write for seat-belt when the guy was at a stop-n-rob, off a public road and on private property:confused:

The Truth

Ive seen a lot of LEO shootings that i felt should've been charged and weren't so i was pretty surprised at this one. I watched it several times and the guy kind of darts back in his car in a way that 1) i would've construed as going for a weapon had i been in his shoes. Secondly, 2)who gets out of their car during a stop then darts back in without telling the LEO what they are doing first? Anyway, just thought i would share.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...captured-in-shock-footage-get-out-of-the-car/

1) If you think this is justified in any way you need your head examined. If you don't think it was justified, don't toe the line like a coward and admit what's wrong is wrong.

2) Did you even watch the video? Cop asks for license, guy reaches into car, gets shot at multiple times for following directions. It didn't even look like he was pulled over, he was already stopped at a gas station.

Are you a blind cop apologist or was this just your knee-jerk reaction before watching the video?

WalkingWolf

1) If you think this is justified in any way you need your head examined. If you don't think it was justified, don't toe the line like a coward and admit what's wrong is wrong.

2) Did you even watch the video? Cop asks for license, guy reaches into car, gets shot at multiple times for following directions. It didn't even look like he was pulled over, he was already stopped at a gas station.

Are you a blind cop apologist or was this just your knee-jerk reaction before watching the video?

This is my main problem, the officer was an idiot. But being a idiot does not excuse shooting an unarmed innocent man.

ETA if you(general) are an idiot please take off the badge and never touch a gun again in your lifetime.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Glad to see he got fired and charged. I don't know his back story as to why he's so jumpy but he doesn't belong on the road if that's all it takes to shoot someone.

It didn't mention if he victim is getting a settlement but it seems pretty slam dunk he would.

Steroids maybe? How many of you dept. people use them?

J_dazzle23

None that I know of. We do random drug/alcohol screening.

Also, did the guy I the video look like he was on steroids?
Also, 99.9 percent of anabolic do not induce "roid rage" as the media would have you believe.

It's about sports, and control. It's legal to use and possess them in the uk....no roid rage news stories over there.

J_dazzle23

That is a grossly and falsely precise statement, "99.9%", and you CANNOT cite a professional peer reviewed study concluding "99.9%."

In general, androgenic-anabolic-steroid use correlates with elevated mania and hypomania. The causes are secondary effects of steroid metabolism, e.g., increasing testes mass, testosterone concentration, et cetera.
You are right, I cannot prove the 99.9% by peer review study, but you were the one to make the insinuation that roid rage is a factor, so why dont we start with you citing biological claims first, yes? *Edit - this clearly was not stated by you^^^my mistake :)

but that aside, yes. ethics boards are not too keen on giving humans super physiological amounts of anabolic steroids. That being said, we have a large body of both anecdotal data and extrapolatory data that shows this is GENERALLY not the case.

Add on top of that, for generality sake, there are AT LEAST 100 or so different substances that are typically used in thousands of combinations that are used often for athletic and physique performance, (commonly called "steroids")and only very few of those(I'll leave out the names in case this is against forum rules) have even been rumored to have mood changing effects.

Let's look from another angle. Some of the most popular ones are testosterone based. Are you telling me that men, since they naturally have testosterone, are more "rage prone" than women? Or men with higher testosterone levels will be more violent than those with lower testosterone levels?

Are we sure it's not the differences between men's and women's levels of dopamine and Seratonin? Maybe estrogen or progesterone level? I'm sure you know conversion rates of most of that testosterone, as it ends up being converted to estrogen anyway...

now anecdotally, anabolic use is WIDESPREAD in the US, and it's not even legal here. It's completely saturated professional sports, and let's not even start with the military.

There should be steroid induced felonies ALL OVER. I mean every twenty minutes. Yet, whenever we hear about steroid induced rage in the media, it's always mixed with copius drug abuse and personality disorders (chris benoit, anyone?)

Haven't heard of Lance Armstrong or mark Mcguire killing people in a roid induced rage, right?

So to answer your question, no, most scientists would never get an ethics review board to approve super physiological dosing of steroids in humans. But having trained hundreds of bodybuilders on them, and the other large amount on anecdotal evidence, combined with some basic biochemistry....I think it's safe to say taking steroids is NOT going to cause an officer to shoot someone they normally wouldnt.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

That is a grossly and falsely precise statement, "99.9%", and you CANNOT cite a professional peer reviewed study concluding "99.9%."

In general, androgenic-anabolic-steroid use correlates with elevated mania and hypomania. The causes are secondary effects of steroid metabolism, e.g., increasing testes mass, testosterone concentration, et cetera.

Also, testes mass decreases, and correlation=/=causation.

Yesalis, et al(I believe) with new England journal of medicine - 600 Mg of testosterone weekly in this trial-

" An important thing to note here would be that this test was undertaken on 4 groups of men. The first group was administered testosterone while they were on an exercising program, the second group was not on any exercise program. The third group was given a placebo and the fourth group was put on a placebo and an exercise program. The test group consisted of men aged between 19-40 years. The findings of the NEJM tests were as follows:

“Zero differences were observed between the groups which went through exercise programs and the ones who did not have to go through an exercise program. Also, no major changes were observed between the groups on placebo drugs. The assessment was conducted in respect to the five sub divisions of anger classified under the Multidimensional Anger Inventory. No major changes were reported by the parents, spouses or living partners of the subjects."

I'm actually suprised to find this one^, but it actually shows 100%.

Also, another very large research study/review-

"Out of 109 cases studied, only 5 people exhibited Psychological (Manic or Hypomanic) effects. (*Archives of General Psychiatry, Volume 57, February 2000"

Individually, Su et al, and Bhasin et al and Yates, et al showed ONLY 3 of the 59 subjects showed mania or hypomania while taking anywhere from double to quadruple normal physiological amounts of various testosterones.

To conclude, there actually have been some peer reviewed studies on this, and the empirical data that I am seeing here seems to support that if I exaggerated 99.9%, it was by quite a small amount.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

248 officers AND FIREFIGHTERS from across the WHOLE STATE (53 agencies) which includes corrections lumped into "law enforcement".... How many THOUSANDS of cops in NJ?

So.... No. Not "common".

Try again?
It doesn't even matter. They aren't going to play a factor in shootings.

I mean the most juiced up, successful bodybuilder of all time is a cop.

What are the odds? ;)

Primus

It doesn't even matter. They aren't going to play a factor in shootings.

I mean the most juiced up, successful bodybuilder of all time is a cop.

What are the odds? ;)
True. I did find your post earlier on the studies of "roid rage" insightful. Its a breath of fresh air to have some facts for once.

J_dazzle23

True. I did find your post earlier on the studies of "roid rage" insightful. Its a breath of fresh air to have some facts for once.
Thanks. It actually got me thinking, I've known a lot more state prison guards that liked em. They always told me it was because physically some of the inmates scare the crap out of em. I dont necessarily blame em.