• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 18 OC

g17585

Hey guys im new to this site and I was wondering how I could go about open carrying in NH. I am 16 but have been around guns my whole life, I hunt and target shoot. Since I would have to comply with the federal handgun laws, Don't I only need written parental permission because there is no minimum age in NH? Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Hey guys im new to this site and I was wondering how I could go about open carrying in NH. I am 16 but have been around guns my whole life, I hunt and target shoot. Since I would have to comply with the federal handgun laws, Don't I only need written parental permission because there is no minimum age in NH? Thanks in advance for your response.

Here is the federal law I am not a lawyer and anything you read and do is of your own free will. The way I interpret it is that your parents can lend you there firearm and you can use it for the purpose of hunting/target shooting. You must have written permission. You can not carry it loaded or holstered it must be transported unloaded in a locked container until you reach the destination of where the hunting/target shooting will take place. Also the parent that gives you written permission must not be barred from possessing a firearm by federal law.

federal law in 18 USC 922 (x). A juvenile under the age of 18 may only temporarily possess a handgun for specific purposes at specific locations. The temporary possession must be in the course of employement, farming, ranching, target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in firearm safety...the possession must be on the site of the specific activity (or being transported unloaded and cased to the site)...and with WRITTEN consent of the parent or guardian. Notice subsections (i), (ii), (iii), and (iv) are all connected by AND.

18 USC 922:
(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or
otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile--
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to
knowingly possess--
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(3) This subsection does not apply to--
(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a
juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a
juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the
juvenile--
(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching
or farming related to activities at the residence of the
juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which
the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or
lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the
farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of
instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile's parent
or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local
law from possessing a firearm, except--
(I) during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded
handgun in a locked container directly from the place of
transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause
(i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of
that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly
from the place at which such an activity took place to the
transferor; or
(II) with respect to ranching or farming activities as
described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a
handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the
juvenile's parent or legal guardian and at the direction of
an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local
law from possessing a firearm;

(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the
juvenile's possession at all times when a handgun is in the
possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;

(B) a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United
States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a
handgun in the line of duty;
(C) a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a
handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or
(D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile
taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an
intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which
the juvenile is an invited guest.

(4) A handgun or ammunition, the possession of which is transferred
to a juvenile in circumstances in which the transferor is not in
violation of this subsection shall not be subject to permanent
confiscation by the Government if its possession by the juvenile
subsequently becomes unlawful because of the conduct of the juvenile,
but shall be returned to the lawful owner when such handgun or
ammunition is no longer required by the Government for the purposes of
investigation or prosecution.
(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term ``juvenile'' means a
person who is less than 18 years of age.

Jay

So to answer your question can you open carry at 16 the answer is "NO" you can not until you reach the age of 18.

OC4me

Maybe you still can carry an antique sidearm. I believe that antiques (including modern replicas thereof) are not considered 'firearms' under Federal Law (do your homework on this...I'm not a lawyer). If this turns out to be the case, a black-powder revolver might just be the only way to go until you reach 18.

Last edited: