• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unintended consequence?

davidmcbeth

Banned
some Lone Star State open carriers worry that the push to expand their rights may have done more harm than good. from OP link

Oh, thank you masta for recognizing a right ...

nonameisgood

This is precisely the problem here. The gun toting community is eating itself. Some of the loudest voices against OC are those who claim the high ground as cc'ers. Charles Cotton is one of the worst offenders on this front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This is precisely the problem here. The gun toting community is eating itself. Some of the loudest voices against OC are those who claim the high ground as cc'ers. Charles Cotton is one of the worst offenders on this front.
Many conceal carriers believe they are the chosen ones. A self-righteous group that believe privilege granted by the government outweigh inalienable rights.

nonameisgood

Many conceal carriers believe they are the chosen ones. A self-righteous group that believe privilege granted by the government outweigh inalienable rights.

Since our OC is by privilege card, too, you'd hope they'd just shut up.

qednick

This is exactly why I never joined in that forum. Literally half the posts are people moaning about OCT and CJ Grisham. It's really tiresome.

solus

Since our OC is by privilege card, too, you'd hope they'd just shut up.

unfortunately, they won't go quietly into the night. further they are right in their comments...the lid of pandora's box is open...and now all you nice folks have to play nice in the sandbox 'together'!!

i was going to raise the subject of crossfeed but we have the same mentality with our NC gun owner's forum (populated mainly by folk in western NC) who believe OC's are the scum of the earth per se. when you bring up OC'g on their form it is brutal. there used to be cross feed when some members from NCGO were member of OCDO but for the most part no longer say hello out here.

ipse

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.
The USSC has made clear that the power to regulate is not unlimited. The power to regulate the wearing of arms cannot be such that it limits all forms of carry, in effect, outlaw all carry. In other words, if the law regulates conceal carry then to be inline with "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms" open carry must be that right (not privileged) to stay inline with the constitution.

So, what Texas court case says the legislators can regulate ALL forms of carry?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
unfortunately, they won't go quietly into the night. further they are right in their comments...the lid of pandora's box is open...and now all you nice folks have to play nice in the sandbox 'together'!!

i was going to raise the subject of crossfeed but we have the same mentality with our NC gun owner's forum (populated mainly by folk in western NC) who believe OC's are the scum of the earth per se. when you bring up OC'g on their form it is brutal. there used to be cross feed when some members from NCGO were member of OCDO but for the most part no longer say hello out here.

ipse
Same in Ohio. The CCers keep forgetting that it was the exercising of their open carry right that got them their conceal carry privilege.

nonameisgood

The USSC has made clear that the power to regulate is not unlimited. The power to regulate the wearing of arms cannot be such that it limits all forms of carry, in effect, outlaw all carry. In other words, if the law regulates conceal carry then to be inline with "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms" open carry must be that right (not privileged) to stay inline with the constitution.

So, what Texas court case says the legislators can regulate ALL forms of carry?

Coming from a total prohibition on carry of handguns, we have achieved a milestone unreached in 140 years in the Lone Star State. If we had gone straight to constitutional, as a right, the antis and CCers wouldn't have a backstop (that is, to have the open carry repealed next session due to backlash.) I was one of the folks saying "let's take this baby step", so I am part of the problem. We should have gone for the jugular.

solus

Coming from a total prohibition on carry of handguns, we have achieved a milestone unreached in 140 years in the Lone Star State. If we had gone straight to constitutional, as a right, the antis and CCers wouldn't have a backstop (that is, to have the open carry repealed next session due to backlash.) I was one of the folks saying "let's take this baby step", so I am part of the problem. We should have gone for the jugular.

bottom line...have you gained a bloody thing with your baby step...IMHO, especially with the CC'ers p!ssed off...NOPE!!

ya'll were tossed a well rehearsed & calculated treat to pacify a very small minority who thought they could change things after accepting that treat with conditions attached...

ipse

qednick

I wanted the jugular but I'm at least OK with the baby step for now. It's more than we had two weeks ago and it's better than a slap in the face. Moving forward a bit is much better than staying in the same place or moving backwards. Like I said before, if OC continues to be a non-event, it will be easier to gain more ground in 2017.

As for the CC privilege folks, I too am subscribed to the texas3006 notifications and almost all the ones popping up are 30.07 and not 30.06. I could be wrong but I think I've seen just two 30.06's since Jan 1st.

qednick

bottom line...have you gained a bloody thing with your baby step...IMHO, especially with the CC'ers p!ssed off...NOPE!!

ya'll were tossed a well rehearsed & calculated treat to pacify a very small minority who thought they could change things after accepting that treat with conditions attached...

ipse

Not sure you can tar all carriers with the same brush as a small handful of vocal CC'ers upset they can no longer carry into their favorite <insert establishment name here>. I seem to recall reading the Oklahoma thread once OC passed there and seeing a few places posting no-carry signs which later came down after complaints. That small handful of CC'ers would be better spending their time complaining to the establishment(s) in question than blaming other gun owners. Also, if you look at the threads on there, it really is a small handful. They are probably pro-establishment Jeb Bush supporters that watch too much Faux News and, thus, believe all their precious rights are granted by the govt.

nonameisgood

I wanted the jugular but I'm at least OK with the baby step for now. It's more than we had two weeks ago and it's better than a slap in the face. Moving forward a bit is much better than staying in the same place or moving backwards. Like I said before, if OC continues to be a non-event, it will be easier to gain more ground in 2017.

As for the CC privilege folks, I too am subscribed to the texas3006 notifications and almost all the ones popping up are 30.07 and not 30.06. I could be wrong but I think I've seen just two 30.06's since Jan 1st.

I have yet to see a 30.07, or to see a new 30.06 that wasn't previously posted.

I did attend an event at a restaurant posted as 51%. I had already checked the TABC site and knew it was F&B (less than 50%) so the sign was meaningless. I was concealing since it was a work event.

nonameisgood

Government sure does believe this. Until we can change "their" view point...continue to OC and work towards the next goal, unlicensed OC, and the repeal of 30.06/.07 laws.

People have been brainwashed into thinking that things flow FROM the government. It's sad that we can't snap out fingers and fix that.

qednick

Government sure does believe this. Until we can change "their" view point...continue to OC and work towards the next goal, unlicensed OC, and the repeal of 30.06/.07 laws.

People have been brainwashed into thinking that things flow FROM the government. It's sad that we can't snap out fingers and fix that.

Absolutely! It saddens me to know that most people voting are voting purely for what they can get from government. The left right paradigm is completely false. Both are two sides of the same coin and it's always a case of voting for the lesser of two evils...usually the one who promises the most freebies. Government is supposed to protect your rights, not grant or take them away.

On the plus side, I really do believe that more and more people are waking up now. With more and more "alternative media" coming on the scene along with Roku and similar devices, establishment brainwashing entities such as CNN, MSNBC, and Faux News will become less and less significant. I can't recall the last time I tuned in to such dribble.

I have yet to see a 30.07, or to see a new 30.06 that wasn't previously posted.

I did attend an event at a restaurant posted as 51%. I had already checked the TABC site and knew it was F&B (less than 50%) so the sign was meaningless. I was concealing since it was a work event.

The only ones I've seen so far have been the ones at H.E.B.--though I now shop at WalMart--their loss. On the notifications I have gotten, 30.06 at one of the McDonalds (don't know which one) and Martha's Mexican Restaurant. I used to eat there, never again. And I'm surprised because just 3 shops up in the same strip, a pharmacist shot a robber. You'd think Martha's would have more sense.

A few others but all 30.07's. One is Pappoulis Greek Restaurant. I was a regular--not any more. I'm sure there's somewhere else that will serve me a gyro while I OC.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
This is exactly why I never joined in that forum. Literally half the posts are people moaning about OCT and CJ Grisham. It's really tiresome.
Yes, and the forum itself is evidently HEAVILY moderated.

Here is a post I made (it was the fourth post down) to the following thread: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtop...1545&start=135

I partially quoted one of the moderators/site owners, Charles Cotton, as follows "...I truly wish that open-carry supporters would admit that they were wrong and that there is a problem. However, I won't hold my breath. If I cannot carry my self-defense handgun into a store because they put up 30.06 and 30.07 signs, then someone's ability to show their handgun to everyone will have cost me the ability to defend myself. To me, that's a net loss for almost 1 million LTCs."

Then I replied:

Because of your biases, why expect open-carry supporters to admit to something that isn't true? A mere few days into a new era in TX and you're complaining bitterly that "The sky is falling/has fallen!"?

Unfortunately, in TX, just like FL, there is no RIGHT to carry under current law, yet the gaining of yet another privilege provokes heated commentary!

It's all about EDUCATION. Just like when concealed carry laws passed elsewhere, a number of places reflexively posted "No Guns" signage. Over time, the lies of the anti-gunners became more and more clear to members of the public and the legislature. So it will be in Texas - if you and others can get past your doomsday outlook and instead choose to be a part of efforts to regain recognition of the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

Not all open carriers are wonderful ambassadors, for gun owners or for other open carriers - but then again, not all concealed carriers fit that bill either. Exposure and conversation will inform and change the minds of people over time. Staying in your comfort zone and insisting others do the same will change nothing.

FYI - an anti-gun "news" organization posted an article about this forum's machinations: http://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/open-ca ... chl-forum/