• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of Louisville Chapter

poetdante

I'm trying to set up a Students for Concealed Carry Chapter at UofL. Should be at a table at the main campus Thursday so I can talk to students. Wish me luck!
This will surely put me in the...corss-hairs of the university :lol:

Rusty Young Man

I'm trying to set up a Students for Concealed Carry Chapter at UofL. Should be at a table at the main campus Thursday so I can talk to students. Wish me luck!
This will surely put me in the...corss-hairs of the university :lol:

While I wish you the best of luck, I must ask that you remember to keep a voice recorder going if possible.

Some time back, some sorority antis stopped short of accusing me of condoning rape when I pointed out the effects of rendering females defenseless as they walk home from classes in the night and went so far as to give them examples of females using guns to prevent physical assault; don't know HOW they got to that line of thinking, but I know for a fact they didn't want discourse on campus CC (or lawful carry).:banghead:

Again, best of luck in this endeavor.:)

poetdante

It should be interesting. I will be going at it almost alone. I'll have someone sent by a conservative group whose job it is to help start conservstive student and grass roots groups. I hope to do some good. Thanks GutShot!

poetdante

The resent stabbing of a female student near campus should bring you some converts. The comments of the campus police were telling; "It's up to Louisville Metro Police to solve this". Remember, the university believes in diversity of thought and values all points of view.;) Good luck.

Speaking of relying on police, a lot of the feedback I've gotten from students that know me well (and that I love guns) is that "why?" do we need guns on campus. While they conceded my point that even IF police were only minutes away and that all our blue-light station worked 100% of the time, we live in a city, and police are always nearby. That got me thinking: given that police were never on time for any of the crimes that happened on campus, what IS the average response time for police, either campus or otherwise?

Also, the school's new policy of making designated "safe paths" that are simply better lit, is not an acceptable solution to the "lower than average compared to other universities" crime rates around campus.

Now, how to get lawmakers involved... they should take the opportunity to gain new/young voters by helping to ensure their own well-being.

poetdante

I will have to find the name of the dental school IT employee who was shot as well as the recent girl. Since april 2012 we have had 35 armed robberies or some kind of crime involving force near or on campus.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Best wishes in this. Would be good to expand your numbers to a team effort - one person calling the plays and carrying the ball can be a real chore.

Remember too that FOIA is your friend.

HPmatt

SMU student here in Dallas was raped last week jogging a few blocks from campus. Hard to CC in jogging attire let alone keep a gun in your dorm room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poetdante

SMU student here in Dallas was raped last week jogging a few blocks from campus. Hard to CC in jogging attire let alone keep a gun in your dorm room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run with a full-size and a spare magazine. When wearing clothing that doesn't allow for a belt, a fanny pack, belly band, supertuck, etc will work. I have carried a mid-size while trail running in a Sticky Holster and basketball shorts.

Students have been asking me why do I think people should even carry guns. Rather than give them the usual responses they are used to, I simply say this now: all I ask is for the opportunity to defend my life and those I am responsible for. I ask for students and faculty, who have chosen to take on a great responsibility and have to hold themselves to a higher standard, to be allowed to fight for their life on an even, or even just more-even, playing field.

So far I have come up with:
43 School shootings, 2 of which were done by government officials, the rest were all pre-meditated with planning (since 1960 anyway). In only two events did students subdue the attacker. the rest the shooter gave up or was killed by police after they had accomplished their goal (usually targeting one person or a specific group)
UofL has had 17 violent crime alerts sent out since January of this year. Students have had home invasions, been stabbed, shot, attempted kidnappings, and beaten by gangs near campus. The administration's response to this: we don't have as much crime as other places so we'll add some more officers and add some lights on SELECT paths through campus (not around, where crime happens).
UofL has many prohibitory policies: no smoking and no drinking are 2 big ones. I see both by faculty and students, and I have seen alcohol provided by administration at official events when proper protocol for allowing alcohol was not followed.
I've seen police take half an hour to respond to shady characters pan-handling to students on campus. I have seen them take half an hour to arrive at a student who fell down stairs and broker her ankle. I have never seen campus security take any action upon request to where it was of any use. I have rarely seen campus security patrol campus (main, med campus, or shelby) the actual school grounds, let alone around school property, in my 8 years at UofL.
UofL's stance is that it's up to student's to take their own care into their hands, but only by letting the criminals win.
DOJ lists police response time to violent crime under 10 minutes being less than 20% of the time, and Louisville Metro has claimed their times are as good as (or better) than national average, sorry but 1 in 5 chances police will be there when I am even ABLE to contact them during a crime is not good enough for me.

Table will be up tomorrow on main campus outdoors. 10-3. Any more suggestions? Advice here has been much apprecaited and helpful. Gutshot you've been immensely helpful. Thank you all.

poetdante

Well it was raining a little so we didn't start out with as many students being outside as we planned. Also, people were trying to get students to register to vote so that didn't help us (students thought we were voting registration people and blew us off).

Despite that, I hounded students, asking if they supported the 2nd Ammendment and if they would support being allowed to defend themselves on and around campus. For the first 2 hours or so (between 11 and 2) I talked to and got signatures and emails from about 60 students. I had a girl from an organization that helps start conservative groups there with me and she was able to get about 20-30. While our approaches were different, I made sure to talk to students, explain to them that I was starting a chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (like the ones at UK and EKU) and our goals were to raise awareness and activism for the 2nd Ammendment and to change the policy of UofL to allow legal concealed carry on campus by students, faculty, and staff, or to get legislation to prohibit the university's POLICY of prohibiting carry. Many, many students were interested. No faculty were, but oh well. I got several leads on where I could get more interested groups (I was waving down students between the Humanities building and Art building so that should show you how much interest there is) such as ROTC students.

I take all of this with a grain of salt, though. Many signatures were from freshmen; who would probably sign anything thinking there is no obligation on their part. The vets and ROTC guys were way more interested in being active.

Now I need to spend the weekend making a Constitution for the group, emailing 80 students reminding them of their support and thanks for helping us get started as well as our first meeting being next week. We are an unofficial group and in order to be recognized by the university need 5 members and one faculty adviser.

Campus police gave me no problems.

A friend of mine (met through a Facebook local group of all places, he has helped me get into reloading) showed up for the first "impromptu" meeting and was named vice president. I probably should have told students who signed up there would be one later that day but I really thought it was asking college kids a bit much to 1. Sign up for supporting a group. 2. Stay and discuss it a little. 3. Show up to a meeting that same day. Hindsight, it couldn't have hurt.

Our goal is to have 2 meetings, a rally, and a protest before the end of October as well as to have a legislator come down and give a speech on the 2nd amendment and carry on campus. Since we are part of a 501(c)3 group we can't have them speaking about elections, etc but I'll have to work that out.

Overall, my plans are pretty big. The organizations (NRA and Leadership Institute) would see even forming an RSO (registered student group) a huge success, and it would be. They want this to be a social, fun group that can educate students on the 2A and very gradually make changes. I think students want more than a fun club, they want to see results, to feel a part of something meaningful and important. As a freshman, sure it's fun to say you support something, but when YOU won't be able to CC for a few more years you have little incentive to really be active in such a group. In 1-2 years I hope to have a self-sustaining group AND really pressure the school and legislatures to allow carry. I know UofL, the school stole money from students with a mandatory meal plan and no amount of student protest, walk-outs, student body meetings, hearings, lawsuits, changed it. Short of legislation, it won't happen. That is my goal. Hopefully I can be here another year or 2 (don't want to stay in grad school forever) then move on to a faculty position to continue supporting the group.

I will need all the help and advice I can get.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I will need all the help and advice I can get.
If you need help with an OFF campus open carry walk, I'll be glad to help. Here in Ohio you can open carry ON campus, but gutshot has made it clear that's not the case in KY.

I like the idea of signage that says "Welcome to Louisville's largest victim zone, courtesy of your State Legislators"

poetdante

Yes we plan on having Criminals for Gun Free Zones demonstrations. You can OC on college campuses but will be asked to leave

poetdante

What surprise most was when i said: it is not illegal to CC on campus. The college CHOOSES to leave us vulnerable with a policy the state allows them to make for themselves

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Motivated me i mean lol
I'm thrilled to hear it. Keep moving forward with your activism, make sure you have the law on your side if you take on the big dogs (like at the WEBN fireworks), learn from your mistakes (because you will make them), and actively seek the advice and input of those you respect.

Glad to have you in the club.