• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unloaded Concealed Carry

jseth

A couple of things to consider....

As Grapeshot already pointed out, can you rack the slide with one hand? What if the bad guy has one of your hands/arms incapacitated? Or, what if you just want to use your weak arm to push the bad guy away from you, or push your family/other person away to safety?

What if your gun jams on loading? Have you practiced loading your gun under the pressure/adreniline of a life or death situation? Personally, I would rather deal with a jam in the relative safety of my home where I can load the gun calmly, take extra steps to ensure the round chambered correctly, and if the gun jams to take the time to correct the jam and determine why it occurred.

So my question is....do the disadvantages of open carry that you perceive to exist, of which there are no examples of happening in real life, outweigh the disadvantages of carrying a gun that not only will the motion of drawing from concealment place the bad guy on high alert, but you will also have to load before you can shoot, and hope for no equipment failures.

my gun hasn't jammed yet and i have put a ton of rounds through it. i clean it after every time i shoot only if its 50 rounds. i know its always a possibility that it can but it hasnt yet, if i conceal carry i wont be bothered by cops because to me concealed truly means concealed. if i conceal carry i also dont have t worry about someone trying to take my gun or something. i know thats not too likely but one of my big concern is police... i know my city and a lot of them would harass you and ask you stupid questions.

my gun has steel sights so it is possible to rack the slide with one hand on my belt, i have seen a few different people do it on youtube, and i have practiced this as well...

dont get me wrong i like the thought open carry and if your comfortable with it thats great it is a god given right to bear arms, and in my opinion that means openly or concealed.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Wow, if I only have 1.5 seconds to draw a CCW and I cannot do it in under 2, then the whole notion of CCW is worthless as well!
This is Truth!!

i am 20 and want to carry my firearm as legal as i can... however i dont like open carry for defensive purpose... the bad guys know you have a gun and can choose to shoot you first...........
Please listen to the suggestions you are getting in this thread. You must understand the people you are reading are very experianced in OC (purpose of the site) and quite a few have been on the "two way range". Be flexible and listen. You need not take heed, but listen.

my gun hasn't jammed(1) yet
if i conceal carry (2)i wont be bothered by cops because to me concealed truly means concealed.
if i conceal carry i (3)also dont have t worry about someone trying to take my gun or something. i know thats not too likely but one of my big concern is police... i know my city and a lot of them would harass you and ask you stupid questions.

(4)my gun has steel sights so it is possible to rack the slide with one hand on my belt, i have seen a few different people do it on youtube, and i have practiced this as well...

Seth,(1)It is inevitable, prepare for it
(2) Do not be afraid of your LEOs. Educate them.
(3) Simple situation awareness
(4) I have seen people do this, I do not recommend it. You have a GREAT possibility in putting a round in your own body