• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming Potential Hit Piece - WAVY 10 - 02-02-2011

wylde007

WAVY 10 is running a story tomorrow (Thursday) night about conceal permits and getting the requisite "training" online.

Of course they make it sound like permit carry is the ONLY way to carry, so it implies that anyone who takes an online course is not qualified - nor should they be able to carry.

I am interested to see which way they run with it, but I can't imagine it is going to be "bias free".

The reason this applies to OC is that they are arguing the part about online training, which implies that certain training should be required to carry.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I just watched the video. The reporter says that you can take an online course and get your "concealed weapons permit" without firing a gun.

Wonder if she knows that proficiency is not a requirement, no matter what training course you take. I'd email her a clue, but I couldn't find email addy's on WAVY's site.

vt800c

true...but...

"02-02-2011
WAVY 10 is running a story tomorrow (Thursday) night about conceal...."

02-02-2011 is a not a thursday.

:confused:

I will watch it.

If a post on 2/2/11 says something is happening 'tomorrow'...then the tomorrow TO 2/2/11 actually IS a thursday.

either way, in the Demokratik Republik of Northern Virginia, I won't see it. Let me know how it turns out.

Virginian683

Just saw this garbage. Classic media smear job on VA gun laws. The story suggested:

a) You need a permit to carry a gun on your hip.

b) You need (or should need) a permit and training to purchase a gun.

And most insidiously of all:

c) There is somehow a connection between the recent wave of armed robberies in Va Beach and people getting permits using online training.

Plus the Portsmouth sheriff exposed himself as an ignorant douche.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/could-online-weapons-permits-backfire?

I'm speechless.

Last edited:

palerider116

It was a typical media piece on firearms. It appears at best that they don't understand the purpose of the class. It is a requirement to get a CHP, and there is more of a focus on the legal aspect such as basic self defense scenarios and where a CHP allows someone to carry a firearm. I spent more time in the classroom and only fired 12 rounds from approximately 7 feet away when I went through the course. That hardly demonstrates "proficiency" with a handgun.

I couldn't help but notice they steered clear of OC that requires neither permits or training. It is incumbent upon the carrier to train and become proficient in using their firearm in self defense situations.

The slope is slippery with more regulation. If you regulate that someone has to shoot X amount of rounds to be "proficient" then it is easy to require that it becomes an annual qualification which gives ground to require any concealed weapon that is carried must be qualified with on a yearly basis.

Anyone who carries a firearm should want to practice and be proficient with it. There will always be a few that don't want to be self initiating, but another regulation will once again just affect the law abiding citizen, and the average criminal will still defy it.

I was disappointed but did expect it to be as lopsided as it was based on the clips they were advertising prior to the segment.

AIC869

Saw the promos for the piece but missed it due to work schedule. After having now seen it - yawn. As is typically the case, this "story" is just that - a story - and is a sensationalized revelation of a non-existent problem.

Portsmouth police officers - yes, I'm talking TO you LT Cherry - should stick to solving crimes. If you weren't so busy sharing your opinion from a desk, maybe Portsmouth could have an additional officer patrolling the streets of their crime-free city. Personally, I avoid Portsmouth like the plague for a reason. Bet he can't guess why.

WAVY should stick to reporting news instead of making it up as it goes along.

USNA69

The Inside Story

I know somebody who knows somebody inside WAVY-TV. I learned this evening that the "reporter" who did this piece is not a member of the regular reporting staff, but a news room functionary. As a result, the piece contained factual inaccuracies which were obviously not fact-checked. The "real" reporting staff were appalled by the piece and the slip-shod reporting.

After the piece aired, the "reporter" was chastised by the general manager for the inaccuracies and the failure to fact check with sources. In addition, the GM resolved to personally review all future news features.

Sadly, there is no way to unring the bell, and the misinformation is now out there. On the plus side, it seems that WAVY-TV will be more careful in the future.

xd shooter

Sadly, there is no way to unring the bell, and the misinformation is now out there. On the plus side, it seems that WAVY-TV will be more careful in the future.

Actually there IS, they could run ANOTHER story with the correct facts, but good luck getting that out of them.