• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Updates on Laws that REALLY Matter!

vermonter

All I can see this forum focusing on is showing your handgun off. Now before you start the flames hear me out. I am for the right to OC, but this seems to be the only focus. In CA all anyone cares about is strutting around with a pistol and NO magazine- WTF? Why not focus all your energy in CA like getting shall issue, or OC LOADED rights in CA. Here on the Iowa board I see NO mention of HF-7. What good is carrying your gun open OR concealed if you will be prosecuted for lawfully defending yourself outside your home? Seems to me I read Iowa has an annual event at the state fair called "Beat Whitey Night". I would be more concerned about HF-7 than if you can carry OC in the statehouse or not! I suggested a map for "Stand Your Ground" states on this site but no one listened. Open carry is fine, but it is just a "showpiece" for grandstanding if you are not allowed to defend your family. To much focusing on lists of restaurants that ban carry than the important issues. Did you call YOUR rep on HF-7? Where are the posts on HF-7 status?

amaixner

... What good is carrying your gun open OR concealed if you will be might be prosecuted for lawfully defending yourself outside your home? ...

We have lots of issues that we are trying to fix right now. Stand-your-ground is just one of them, and has passed the safety committee, so it will be voted on. Another major effort (meaning, what I think we can actually pass this session, instead of wasting effort on something that is dead) is for statewide preemption with teeth, because our AG is an anti-gun zealot and has been actively trying to weaken the current preemption law through any convoluted, illogical, legal wrangling he can pull. You are welcome to join our effort and write to legislators.

http://www.iowafirearmscoalition.org/stateIssues.php
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/State/Specific.aspx?st=IA

vermonter

Amaixner, It is good you are working on it. My gripe is there is no UPDATED list, map etc about stand your ground. I had emailed the suggestion to the forum Admin with no response. The truth is no matter what kind of carry is in place, without the right to defend yourself you may very well wind up in prison with the hoods you are trying to protect your family from. NY State is a PRIME example. You CAN get a license upstate, but unless someone had begun shooting at you you had better run like a sheep. They will hang you in NY for lawful defense outside your home. Stand your ground or a constitutional ammendment stating you have a right to self defense is a MUST if you carry! Montana passed one of the best "stand your ground" laws in the country to date. The truth is in CA the UNLOADED OC people are just making a point, they would be in a world of trouble if someone actually used one for SD. Prosecutors and police are not interested in justice, just conviction counts......

Kingfish

Amaixner, It is good you are working on it. My gripe is there is no UPDATED list, map etc about stand your ground.
Then make one, maintain it and post a link to it.

This site is dedicated to advancing the open carry of properly holstered handguns in daily life. All other topics are incidental to this.

vermonter

This site is dedicated to advancing the open carry of properly holstered handguns in daily life. All other topics are incidental to this.

Then in states without stand your ground OC is nothing more than an really cool ornament on your hip since you cannot legally defend yourslf out in public. I think anything that affects OC or CC is relevant and not just incidental. Why is there a map on machine gun ownership? What does that have to do with OC? I think a stand your ground map would be more relevant since it regulates what you can do while OC vs. keeping an M-16 in your house.

no4gman

Then make one, maintain it and post a link to it.

Agree.

Dad always said there were two kinds of people: Talkers and Doers.

Gotta love it when someone complains about something they are not willing to do themselves.

Tucker6900

Then in states without stand your ground OC is nothing more than an really cool ornament on your hip since you cannot legally defend yourslf out in public.

Who said I cannot legally defend myself? Just because we dont have a castle doctrine yet does not mean that I can never draw my firearm and defend myself outside my home. All I have to do is prove that I was being threated with bodily harm, and only had time to defend, not flee.

If for some unfortunate reason I end up needing to defend myself in public, I will do so. And if the court system wants to fight my reasoning then so be it. But I will sleep better at night knowing that I protected myself, my family, or even someone like you from harm.

Kingfish

I think anything that affects OC or CC is relevant and not just incidental.
A topic can be relevant and still be incidental to the purpous. I agree that Stand Your Ground is a very important topic but you were complaining that this forum is "focusing on is showing your handgun off". Well, if you want a site decicated to Stand Your Ground, then make one.

Tucker6900

Well, if you want a site decicated to Stand Your Ground, then make one.

Or you can go to www.iowacarry.org and sign up there. There are all sorts of things being discussed their right now with that very topic in mind.

Personally, I believe that you are hopolophobic and need education on the matter. If you believe that the members of OCDO are here just to show off their firearms, you are sorely mistaken.