• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Use this map tool to accurately measure 1000 ft from a school

Wolfcom

I found this easy to use map tool tool that you can use to measure distance from one point to another. Its easier to use that google map.
Its http://www.zonums.com/gmaps/maptool.php
on the top left you'll see a drop down box that says "get/tool>>"
Click on that and select "distance (feet)"

When measure from a school, be sure to place the pointer at the very edge of the school property closest to where you are measuring to.

I hope you find this useful.

KBCraig

When measure from a school, be sure to place the pointer at the very edge of the school property closest to where you are measuring to.

You've just pointed out one of the most problematic aspects of identifying a 1,000' school zone: where to start measuring.

There is often "school property" that isn't even within sight of the school itself, and may not even be directly connected to it. If we use the "edge of the school property" as a starting point, they can effectively block all carry by using these zones.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Now why would you want to go and do that?

I would rather not 'reasonably know' to the nth degree where all the school zones are... But why give the authorities the basis by which they can prosecute you under 626.9 by posting a resource like that and looking them all up?

ryanburbridge

I would rather not 'reasonably know' to the nth degree where all the school zones are... But why give the authorities the basis by which they can prosecute you under 626.9 by posting a resource like that and looking them all up?

It may be nice to get arrested and the fight this in the courts but for those who would like to stay out of cuffs from the start may find this usfull. In my two police incounters they did not even know the law and did not even talk about schools. I use three apps on my iPhone that help me to stay clear of GFSZs. Has any one written the schools in their area to request permision to exercise their right to carry? This may be one more tool in a lawsuit against the state. If we could show that we have been denied over and over by schools then CA would not be able to say that it is an option. If we have not even tried then CA can say we have the option but will not use it. How many have applied for a CCW knowing that we WILL be denied. If we can gather enough evidence that proves we a not able to exercise our 2A right to BARE arms then we may be able to sue for the right to LOC or set the stage for Shall issue.

Just my thoughts. What do you think?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
In my two police incounters they did not even know the law and did not even talk about schools...

Has any one written the schools in their area to request permision to exercise their right to carry?

Your encounters are all the more reason not to carry photo ID- particularly if they were to follow up as the police did with Theseus.

I havent composed a letter yet, but I anticipate sending such a request to the Super of the nearby school district.

PincheOgro1

Condition Three,

It didn't matter for Thesius that he didn't know where a school was, when he was arrested, and prosecuted for a 626.9 violation. In this case it's better to know to CYA...