• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Legislature may strip Gov. of his armed security detail

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The VA legislators do not have a strong enough majority in the senate to override the governor's veto of any legislation put on his desk.

Could they defund any monies for paying the personnel? Not really IMHO, as that would require a line item in a budget proposal which the governor would not accept. Best that could be expected would be to hang up the entire budget process - lock down the state to not being able to spend any money at they end of the fiscal year.

Sure such would be dramatic and irritate the governor, who would spin it to say that the pro gun reps were penalizing the entire state (all Virginians) over one issue.

Would our elected representatives be willing to go to wall over this? I think some would, but don't have much hope that a strong bipartisan effort will be forthcoming - that is what it would take.

It is worth noting that the governor and Bloomy may have just given us the incentive that we need to join all liberty minded people in VA - a gift if you will. The people are angry, boiling hot angry! I see OCers, CCers, hunters, reloaders, mom & pop private citizen getting ramrod stiff backbones. The governor has insulted/harmed the very people he was elected to represent. I expect the backlash to be worse than a public flogging.

Can McAuliffe take the pressure?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Folks sure get upset with these permission slips.

This is not just about permits. The governor's executive order restricts all guns in state agencies and on the grounds thereof.

When the dust settles and all is said and done, I would hope that McAuliffe could not be elected as an assistant dog warden. He is a disgrace to the standards of the freedom loving Commonwealth of Virginia.

F350

I am in Wyoming so the likelihood of my visiting VA was about a 2 on a scale of 100; now it's about a -500.

No CCW holder (or gun owner) should set foot in VA until this is reversed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am in Wyoming so the likelihood of my visiting VA was about a 2 on a scale of 100; now it's about a -500.

No CCW holder (or gun owner) should set foot in VA until this is reversed.
OTOH -- a great time to visit (and before the new restriction takes place) would be at our annual Lobby Day (Jan 18, 2016) when we meet in mass to talk with our legislators and gather at the Old Bell Tower on Capital grounds to hear speeches and rally the troops.

Note that the governors executive order does not effect the GAB (General Assembly Building) where you may OC or CC with a valid permit. The GAB is controlled by the Joint Resolution Committee of the two houses of our legislature.

Would love to see our numbers swell this year, far exceeding our normal hundreds of people. I day dream of thousands of angry (but polite) gun owners descending on Capital Square.

Come one, come all - let your voice be heard!

Foot note: Even if your permit is not recognized after the start date (Feb 1st I think) you may OC most places in our fair state :)

Last edited:

Ohio

Virginia no longer

We have vacationed at Virginia Beach for years. Really enjoyed it, but we will never visit again. I cannot imagine being without the ability to protect my family at all times when surrounded by bad guys every mile driven and every step walked. Delaware or back to Florida it will be.

Maverick9

When Va's tourist Industry realizes what this lovely person has done they might light pitchforks and carry a torch, like in Mel Brooks movies, hahaha.

To be serious, I doubt anyone will really notice and I think it will get reversed, or some/many LEO won't enforce it.

Uh, is that possible? LEOs and former-Leos?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There has been a report (on another thread) that a user/member went into a Va. state ABC store w/o a GFZ sign on the entrance. He was OCing, but no one said anything to him. As he left, he saw a No Guns sign on the inside of the exit door.

Maybe the agency employees were complying with the letter of the requirement (posting), but not in a manner that would turn away friends of freedom and RKBA. I find that extremely amusing, kind of a revolt from within.:)

va_tazdad

We have vacationed at Virginia Beach for years. Really enjoyed it, but we will never visit again. I cannot imagine being without the ability to protect my family at all times when surrounded by bad guys every mile driven and every step walked. Delaware or back to Florida it will be.

Yeah, because they are just soooooo much safer than Virginia, or god forbid, Ohio.

LOL If those are what you call "safer" places, stay home. I have been to both many times and I find Virginia much safer even NOVA and their overflowing collection of Yankee refugees. And neither allow Open Carry like Virginia does.

The current governor is a Yankee refugee, and his terrible fear of guns, added to his political debt to Bloomers has driven him to this action. Remove those evil men in uniform that carry guns so he can start thinking logically for a change.

va_tazdad

There has been a report (on another thread) that a user/member went into a Va. state ABC store w/o a GFZ sign on the entrance. He was OCing, but no one said anything to him. As he left, he saw a No Guns sign on the inside of the exit door.

Maybe the agency employees were complying with the letter of the requirement (posting), but not in a manner that would turn away friends of freedom and RKBA. I find that extremely amusing, kind of a revolt from within.:)

As of 12/25, the ABC HQ had no signs on the exterior of the building, but one is displayed at the Security desk at the entrance. Seems they are still trying to figure out how and where to display the signs.

The Truth

OTOH -- a great time to visit (and before the new restriction takes place) would be at our annual Lobby Day (Jan 18, 2016) when we meet in mass to talk with our legislators and gather at the Old Bell Tower on Capital grounds to hear speeches and rally the troops.

Note that the governors executive order does not effect the GAB (General Assembly Building) where you may OC or CC with a valid permit. The GAB is controlled by the Joint Resolution Committee of the two houses of our legislature.

Would love to see our numbers swell this year, far exceeding our normal hundreds of people. I day dream of thousands of angry (but polite) gun owners descending on Capital Square.

Come one, come all - let your voice be heard!

Foot note: Even if your permit is not recognized after the start date (Feb 1st I think) you may OC most places in our fair state :)
Who checks for permits? How does the GA have authority to do so if one is OC?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Who checks for permits? How does the GA have authority to do so if one is OC?
At the GAB, the rules are established by the Joint Rules Committee. No permit = no carry.

The Capital Police will do a reasonably effect screening = empty pockets, electronic scanner and wanding, etc. No permit = no carry. Can be OC or CC.

All people entering except staff, legislators, and registered lobbyists (another perk) will be screened each time they enter. Senate gallery is a gun free zone; all else is still part of the people's house.

davidmcbeth

Banned
At the GAB, the rules are established by the Joint Rules Committee. No permit = no carry.

The Capital Police will do a reasonably effect screening = empty pockets, electronic scanner and wanding, etc. No permit = no carry. Can be OC or CC.

All people entering except staff, legislators, and registered lobbyists (another perk) will be screened each time they enter. Senate gallery is a gun free zone; all else is still part of the people's house.

Can the Capitol Police do searches? You need to FOIA records relating to this query. I highly doubt that searches would pass the 4th amendment hurdles required.

Also, check your open meetings law and see if searches conflict with it, another aspect of conducting searches as a condition to access a public meeting. It may or may not conflict.

As far as staff and legislators, the law allows them to be exempt from admin searches.

Remember: all unwarranted searches are presumed to be illegal.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Can the Capitol Police do searches? You need to FOIA records relating to this query. I highly doubt that searches would pass the 4th amendment hurdles required.

Also, check your open meetings law and see if searches conflict with it, another aspect of conducting searches as a condition to access a public meeting. It may or may not conflict.

As far as staff and legislators, the law allows them to be exempt from admin searches.

Remember: all unwarranted searches are presumed to be illegal.
Volunteering again?

If so, suggest you have the judge in your pocket before proceding to notoriously violate the restriction.

va_tazdad

Volunteering again?

If so, suggest you have the judge in your pocket before proceding to notoriously violate the restriction.

LOL Yeah, right. He is all show, and no go. Good at flapping his jaws (fingers on a keyboard) but always comes up short on action. He will fail to do anything, especially show up on Lobby Day.

As I recall, we are still waiting for him to take Skidmark up on the free trip so he could show us how to fix things. His credibility is still ZERO and will never be of any use or service to anyone.