• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA's restricted ammo law

Marco

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

(1983, c. 602; 1988, c. 530

Just so some of you are aware of this.
As the subject came up at the picnic on Sunday.

The Truth

It's just another of the modifier laws to make an already illegal act more illegal.

Yeah, in talking with Marco, Roby, and wrearick at the picnic it seemed like we came to the conclusion that if it's a legal shoot, this is not applicable. Just don't use 'em to commit a crime.

TFred

The problem would be if they use this law as a bigger hammer in cases where you aren't actually committing a crime, such as pointing a finger at a jerk security guard while carrying...

TFred

JoeSparky

Centurion
Per my quick read --- Committing any crime while in possession of these projectiles makes the possession a felony, not just a gun crime, but any crime. So a conviction of disorderly conduct (misdemeanor) make possession of these projectiles a felony.

The Truth

Per my quick read --- Committing any crime while in possession of these projectiles makes the possession a felony, not just a gun crime, but any crime. So a conviction of disorderly conduct (misdemeanor) make possession of these projectiles a felony.

+1

I stand corrected. I guess my point is don't commit a crime while carrying a gun loaded with these projectiles and you won't have a problem.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Can you honestly say that you know every law well enough to get through the average day without breaking a law?

Even if you stay at home with the covers pulled up over your head you are breaking several laws. The point has become not "don't break the law" but "don't get caught breaking the law."

And yes, we do have to contend with the notion that breaking the law is illegaler if it is done while in possession of a firearm.

I'm pretty sure there is a mandatory three year enhancement for jaywalking with a gun.:uhoh: [/sarcasm]

stay safe.

wrearick

just for clarification for those not involved in the conversation at the picnic, we were discussing G2R's RIP rounds, but I am sure there are others that would fall within the breadth of the description in the law.

http://g2rip.com/

Thanks for posting the cite Marco!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Can you honestly say that you know every law well enough to get through the average day without breaking a law?

I told a judge that we cannot .. he agreed .. I cautioned him on his black shoelaces, that a CFR could have been changed via an entry in the federal register this morning outlawing black shoelaces. He laughed. But the point was made. We were discussing why I would not allow a gov't official into my dwelling.

BlueSquid

I'm no lawyer, but I do believe this means I'm still okay to order and carry some of those Coonan silver bullets, ya know, for all the potential werewolves.

conhntr

Well i guess this law would need to be changed before they ban lead ammo!!

Seems like this would include "copper solids" such as barnes and others. Fairly popular rounds...

"Attempting to commit a crime" what wxactly does that mean?

I think my copper solids are going to be practice ammo, never cared for coated bullets seem to just make fouling even worse.

builtjeep

Well i guess this law would need to be changed before they ban lead ammo!!

Seems like this would include "copper solids" such as barnes and others. Fairly popular rounds...

"Attempting to commit a crime" what wxactly does that mean?

I think my copper solids are going to be practice ammo, never cared for coated bullets seem to just make fouling even worse.

Indeed, there are a lot of really good hunting rounds coming out now that are all copper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would make getting lost in the woods and crossing a property line with such ammo a felony.

This law definitely needs to go, I'm pretty sure it was a knee-jerk reaction to the Black-Talon hype of years past.

thedevilrobyjohn

good lord

well, more crap to worry about. Love barnes and cop rounds. I thought the pc world was growing towards less of that awful lead. Now im lost. Looking into it further, I think its based around supposed armor piercing rounds like the steel core german rounds, some five sevens, talons and such. So trying to rob a place and then potentially being able to defeat armor is the prohibition. Or carrying with the intention to defeat armor to escape. All copper rounds(lead free) will not defeat armor and seems to maybe not even fit into this law. Seems like its talking about steel and other metal cores and special coatings unlike the polymer plunger in hornadys. I may be wrong, id love to know cases and prosecutions. But any law can be stretched to outlaw even breathing if given a chance. Funny how your average deer rifle will defeat much armor but all these exotic myths really wont and the one that actually would out of a pistol isnt even known about (utr) and was dirt cheap in the 90 s. German barricade busters anyone? I guess if found with these chambered your burden would be to prove an intention of self defense not an intention of defeating good guys vests. Id love to know more because I love exotic ammo.

builtjeep

" or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead"

Steel core may have been the intention, but the wording would absolutely include solid copper rounds. In the end, what the GA intended is completely meaningless when it comes to enforcing the law as written.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well....Marco, this is on my hit list this year even though I don't have any pull.
It is being looked at for revisions by members of the GA.
That really only means I've asked for revisions which is first base and they have responded favorably and asked for details. That's second base.

Will it go any further? Who knows.....every now and then a blind hog finds an acorn and every once in a while I'm successful. It's way too early to know.

This is one of two bills I'm pushing right now and assuming I don't have to fight any P4P, there is a chance. I'll kee you updated.

wrearick

Well....Marco, this is on my hit list this year even though I don't have any pull.
It is being looked at for revisions by members of the GA.
That really only means I've asked for revisions which is first base and they have responded favorably and asked for details. That's second base.

Will it go any further? Who knows.....every now and then a blind hog finds an acorn and every once in a while I'm successful. It's way too early to know.

This is one of two bills I'm pushing right now and assuming I don't have to fight any P4P, there is a chance. I'll kee you updated.

Awesome! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help (attending lobby day is already a given!)