• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Membership Info??

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Threadjack just a little bit. The newsletter is only printed 4-5 times per year, so depending on when you join, it could be a while.

Uh-oh . . . . . . I think I have recd maybe 1-2 newsletters per year. I don't know anything aout 4-5 per year . . . . . . .

Maybe it's less. I've sent them all since I became editor to be put on the VCDL web site; I'll have to check for sure.

Frankly, much as I would like to publish one every other month, or every quarter, I often simply don't have enough material. I can re-publish stuff that comes from the internet or newspapers, but that gets old (to protect VCDL, I get copyright releases on almost everything) and it doesn't do our members a service when they get only recycled information.

I'm working on one now, with as much legislative info as I can get in to it, and as much other stuff as I can get/find. Hope to have it out soon.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tess

Maybe it's less. I've sent them all since I became editor to be put on the VCDL web site; I'll have to check for sure.

Frankly, much as I would like to publish one every other month, or every quarter, I often simply don't have enough material. I can re-publish stuff that comes from the internet or newspapers, but that gets old (to protect VCDL, I get copyright releases on almost everything) and it doesn't do our members a service when they get only recycled information.

I'm working on one now, with as much legislative info as I can get in to it, and as much other stuff as I can get/find. Hope to have it out soon.

Tess, there's enough posted here to get at least one issue bi-monthly.

Craig,s cleanup comes to mind. Have you published anything about Skidmark's trials and tribulations?

Greentops rewriting their policy.

Granted, you may not want to cover VCDL's somewhat ....gentle....handling of the Fairfax PD, but at least part of it.

There is a lot written that can be cut and paste and all you need is a release from John, which I'm sure he'd give.

Not every article has to be Man Bites Dog, Dog shoots Man.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Craig,s cleanup comes to mind. Have you published anything about Skidmark's trials and tribulations?

Granted, you may not want to cover VCDL's somewhat ....gentle....handling of the Fairfax PD, but at least part of it.

There is a lot written that can be cut and paste and all you need is a release from John, which I'm sure he'd give.

True, Peter, but there's also overkill.

There are some, but really not that many, VCDL members who don't have internet access. When I cut and paste from here or any other forum, I've always figured I'm reiterating things our members have probably already seen. That may be a bad assumption on my part. I do try to balance stuff from the internet with stuff I get from members via e-mail, with letters to the editor (since not all of our members get even the big papers), etc.

I'd like to do a semi-regular column about stupid gun owners. Ooops. May I say that here? Things like the guys who shoot themselves because they're carrying concealed, in a pocket, with no holster, and drinking to boot. I'd like to be able to point out that we gun owners don't automatically defend a gun owner; if he's doing something stupid, we should point out he did something stupid. The problem with many of these ideas is that we don't get the whole story, and I simply don't have time to research all the things I'd like to write about.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

What's a greentops?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What's a greentops?

Major gun shop, candy store, in Ashland Va. Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shop are mere minutes away so a threefer is within easy reach of Richmond.

They say that half to store is dedicated to fishing, but I wouldn't know 'cause I never even looked on that side. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Updates??

No updates but after you've checked that they actually received your money, I wouldn't fret about it.

Unlike the NRA, VCDL doesn't require a number or ID for anything I know. I ran across my card by accident the other day but I didn't even know I had one.

Membership is support for VCDL. If you need them, they don't ask if you're a member, they just act.

Please be patient!

Mr H

No updates but after you've checked that they actually received your money, I wouldn't fret about it.

Unlike the NRA, VCDL doesn't require a number or ID for anything I know. I ran across my card by accident the other day but I didn't even know I had one.

Membership is support for VCDL. If you need them, they don't ask if you're a member, they just act.

Please be patient!

Fair enough!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Please be patient!

Fair enough!!

If however you do not receive your card and other things shortly, please feel free to inquire through Contact Us, Other Services, Members Services, Membership Director. Jackie has been a one woman show with "volunteered" family help, but recently had an inordinate amount of time consuming family emergencies. Following her recommendations, we are working out a solution that should prevent future major backlogs as the one that is just now being cleared.

Believe me when I say each and every member's support is invaluable to VCDL. It is because of you that we are so successful.