• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Sticker sighting

Mr H

Driving up US 17 this afternoon, northbound, between the Remlik turn-off and Jamaica (I can't make this stuff up)...

Red Chevy pickup with aftermarket(?) foglamps.

Last edited:

TFred

Driving up US 17 this afternoon, northbound, between Remlik and Jamaica (I can't make this stuff up)...

Red Chevy pickup with aftermarket(?) foglamps.
Alright... this is way too close to my old stompin' grounds... of course you should know, Remlik is not on US 17, but rather on the road from US 17 down to Urbanna!

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Alright... this is way too close to my old stompin' grounds... of course you should know, Remlik is not on US 17, but rather on the road from US 17 down to Urbanna!

TFred

Until you've been down to Guinea Neck. you ain't been anywhere. :p

wylde007

I regularly see one northbound on Great Neck Road in Virginia Beach on a black Toyota pickup with a camper shell around 8 AM.

I haven't been able to figure out who it is yet, but I keep passing him and putting my tailgate (with GSL and VCDL magnets) right in his line-of-sight.

ODA 226

I regularly see a light colored Dodge pickup with a GSL sticker on the rear drivers side window on Bridge Road heading towards Smithfield, with Virginia licence starting with XP. Last time I saw it, he had what looked like wire traps in the rear and the passenger side of the cab.

Mr H

TFred

I'm aware of that, but not of how FAR off 17...

Call it "by the speedway" I suppose....

;-))

MSC 45ACP

No trip down Virginia Route 17 is complete without a "little" detour out past Mathews to the lovely little garden spots of Moon, Diggs, Beaverlett, Onemo, Shadow and Bavon! Check out Wolf Trap and New Point Comfort Lighthouses while you're in the area.

Trivia Question: Where is OLD Point Comfort Lighthouse and WHY can't you OC there?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No trip down Virginia Route 17 is complete without a "little" detour out past Mathews to the lovely little garden spots of Moon, Diggs, Beaverlett, Onemo, Shadow and Bavon! Check out Wolf Trap and New Point Comfort Lighthouses while you're in the area.

Trivia Question: Where is OLD Point Comfort Lighthouse and WHY can't you OC there?

If memory serves me correctly the present location is within the confines of Ft. Monroe, a military installation.

I have heard rumors that Fortress Monroe was to be deactivated and given to the City of Hampton. If and when that happens, I will stand proudly on the ramparts while OCing. :D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Fortresses do not have ramparts, they have female parts (can we say breastworks on OCDO?).

In any case, I'll be joining you there.

stay safe.

DocDaddy

Another OCDO member spotted:

On Saturday, my daughter and I went to Busch Gardens and on the way home about 8:30-9:00pm, the red lights came on a 1/4 mile from the HRBT and so we stopped. My daughter said to me that the driver in the red Jeep beside us just nodded to her, I looked over and the driver nodded to me and held up a GSL pin and I gave a thumbs up (I have ED's GSL and VCDL magnets on my tailgate on my red Tacoma). The traffic started up again and about halfway through the tunnel it came to me, I know who that was because the licsence plate matches his screen name on here... DJEEPER! Nice to run into you!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If memory serves me correctly the present location is within the confines of Ft. Monroe, a military installation.

I have heard rumors that Fortress Monroe was to be deactivated and given to the City of Hampton. If and when that happens, I will stand proudly on the ramparts while OCing. :D

Fortresses do not have ramparts, they have female parts (can we say breastworks on OCDO?).

In any case, I'll be joining you there.

stay safe.

Poetic license. :D

"Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
"

MSC 45ACP

It would be nice if Hampton did take it over, but they can't afford the upkeep. I think the NPS will still need to be in charge of some of it. I really do enjoy going there, though. They have great concerts at next to the Chamberlain in the summer and the Casemate Museum is really a great place to visit! I love the giftshop/bookstore there.

Back ON Topic: I spotted a few VCDL stickers at Innsbruck a couple days ago... ;-)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It would be nice if Hampton did take it over, but they can't afford the upkeep. I think the NPS will still need to be in charge of some of it. I really do enjoy going there, though. They have great concerts at next to the Chamberlain in the summer and the Casemate Museum is really a great place to visit! I love the giftshop/bookstore there.

Back ON Topic: I spotted a few VCDL stickers at Innsbruck a couple days ago... ;-)

NPS would likely put in a covered entrance way and then claim the entirety of Ft. Monroe was a "no guns allowed." :(