• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VERY Pro 2nd amendment candidate!

Nascar24Glock

For those in East Tennessee (particularly the Gray/Johnson City area), this Tuesday will be the primary between Dale Ford and Micah van Huss. I'd like to encourage those on this forum to consider voting for Micah van Huss. I spoke with him this week and found out that he is a very pro-2nd amendment candidate. In fact, he actually supports constitutional carry! And, the best part: HE BROUGHT UP THE SUBJECT without any leading from me!!!

Our conversation went something like this (the words aren't exact; but the essence is there).
Micah van Huss: "Yes, I do support the second amendment."
Me: "Good. There's some things that could be improved in Tennessee's carry law. For example, 29 states in this country allow varying degrees of open carry without a permit; Tennessee does not. Also, 28 states allow some form of loaded carry in a car without a permit; Tennessee does not."
Micah van Huss: "And Vermont does not require a permit at all. It's called constitutional carry. I'd like to see that kind of law implemented here."
Me: "Really, you support constitutional carry?"
Micah van Huss: "Yes, I do."

When he said that, my mind was going :shocker: and :banana: at the same time!

So, if we want to advance open carry rights (or, go for it and pass constitutional carry!), I'd encourage those in this district to vote for him.

SovereignAxe

Dude's a little conservative for me. His "life begins at conception" is not something I agree with and when someone says that schools are "promoting a liberal agenda," I get a tinfoil hat vibe from them.

I'll agree that most teachers tend to be liberal, but you can't change that with legislation unless you double teachers wages. As long as I live in a country where anyone seriously considers, and then actually legislates, the idea of intelligent design being taught in biology classes I will refuse to believe that paranoia.

I'm honestly on the fence about him though. As long as nothing's changing with a conservative SCOTUS he's not changing anything in regards to life. Plus I doubt his ability to get anything done with education.

But I do like constitutional carry and I don't like incumbents and if there's one type of person I trust it's a Marine. So...idk. I'm not a one issue voter, so I can't bring myself to vote for him on 2A issues alone, but I haven't ruled him out.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Dude's a little conservative for me. His "life begins at conception" is not something I agree with

Biological sciences would consider a fertilized egg as now being a member of the species. So, I guess it depends on one's viewpoint, keeping religions' opinions out of the analysis. Because the cell can develop into an organism that could reproduce and make more organisms it is a member of the species.

SovereignAxe

Biological sciences would consider a fertilized egg as now being a member of the species. So, I guess it depends on one's viewpoint, keeping religions' opinions out of the analysis. Because the cell can develop into an organism that could reproduce and make more organisms it is a member of the species.

okay, so how do you make a death certificate for someone that doesn't have a birth certificate? So you're not making a death certificate? Okay, how do you handle a miscarriage? Is everyone woman with a miscarriage going to get investigated? Is that going to fall under child neglect? No? Okay, how do you decide whether it was a miscarriage or murder? See if she went to an underground abortion facility? You shut all those down? Now you have to deal with women using coat hangars and drinking or otherwise poisoning their baby to death. Is that really where you want this to go? And if it does, how do you tell the difference?

Changing the definition of life by law to be before a birth certificate is issued, or before birth, creates a huge number of issues I don't even want to think about. And then there's the overpopulation crisis.

I guess it doesn't help that I'm not religious, but from a pragmatic point of view, I see only one con with abortion and a whole long list of cons for banning abortion.

Nascar24Glock

okay, so how do you make a death certificate for someone that doesn't have a birth certificate? So you're not making a death certificate? Okay, how do you handle a miscarriage? Is everyone woman with a miscarriage going to get investigated? Is that going to fall under child neglect? No? Okay, how do you decide whether it was a miscarriage or murder? See if she went to an underground abortion facility? You shut all those down? Now you have to deal with women using coat hangars and drinking or otherwise poisoning their baby to death. Is that really where you want this to go? And if it does, how do you tell the difference?

Changing the definition of life by law to be before a birth certificate is issued, or before birth, creates a huge number of issues I don't even want to think about. And then there's the overpopulation crisis.

I guess it doesn't help that I'm not religious, but from a pragmatic point of view, I see only one con with abortion and a whole long list of cons for banning abortion.

They way I see it, the two don't have to be inconsistent. It's kindof like how there's different ages of adulthood. People are considered adults for most purposes at 18. But, they're adults at 21 for drinking and for a lot of actions dealing with handguns (I may not necessarily agree with it; but it is what it is). This could operate similarly. To keep from derailing the thread, I won't debate the merits of it, at least not on the public part of this forum. But, it would be possible, using the above analogy, to consider a fetus as a human with the inherent right to live for purposes of unjustifiable murder statutes (which require intent; a miscarriage would simply be a death by natural causes). However, for purposes of counting age, issuing a birth certificate, and issuing a death certificate for subsequent deceasement, the point of birth would still be used. Again, I'm not debating whether this should be the case or not. I'm simply showing how it could work.

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC :lol:! I would be interested to hear Dale Ford's position on Vermont-style carry. I think I saw a video once where Gov. Haslam said he would sign a Vermont-style bill if one came to his desk (didn't say whether he would actively lobby for it or not, just that he would sign it). Senator Campfield introduced such a bill in 2011 (S.B. 397); but, it went no where due to lack of a house sponsor. If we can get a few representatives in office who will support Vermont-style carry, we stand a reasonably good shot (pun intended :lol:) of getting Constitutional Carry.

davidmcbeth

Banned
okay, so how do you make a death certificate for someone that doesn't have a birth certificate? .

Ha, that's a good one .. but these are just papers, right (I have not seen one for O'bamalama but he clearly is a member of our species) lol

The questions I would ask: is killing a member of your own species considered to be socially acceptable?

Oddly enough, many states do count the death of a pregnant woman to be actually 2 crimes: 1 against the mother and 1 against the unborn. I don't think the state writes up a birth & death certificate for the unborn that was killed by the perp.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Okay, how do you handle a miscarriage? Is everyone woman with a miscarriage going to get investigated? Is that going to fall under child neglect? No? Okay, how do you decide whether it was a miscarriage or murder?.

No need to wonder .. just look back before 1972...and I think doctors did look into the cause..I cannot recall what happened when they suspected something was amiss. My mother had 4 ... so during that time period, miscarriages were not uncommon. And even today, some mothers may have been charged, so for this ? maybe one does not have to look back before 1972. Its an interesting query. Give me some time & I'll post back.