• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Viral video: Judge William Adams beating the h*ll out of his daughter

georg jetson

I will bookmark this post. It gives links to EXCELLENT examples of how psuedo science is used to change public opinion... IOW - propaganda.

My parents made their share of mistakes and in an attempt to do better, I educated myself on the issue of parental responsibilites when I became a dad. That still didn't ensure that I was perfect.

I'm advocating it because my country suffers from delusion reinforced by psuedo science.

Edit - Let me add that the REAL issue is not what TYPE of a discipline strategy a set of parent's chooses to use, but that it is up to the parents ALONE. The governmnet MUST be kept out of the family. I noticed you fail to comment on this particular issue.

Last edited:

Tawnos

I will bookmark this post. It gives links to EXCELLENT examples of how psuedo science is used to change public opinion... IOW - propaganda.

My parents made their share of mistakes and in an attempt to do better, I educated myself on the issue of parental responsibilites when I became a dad. That still didn't ensure that I was perfect.

I'm advocating it because my country suffers from delusion reinforced by psuedo science.

Do you have the ability to show how this is "psuedo [sic] science"? Seriously, you call the citations crap, despite the fact they are supported by the vast, overwhelming majority of medical and child practitioners. In doing so, though, you utterly fail to provide your own counter citations, studies, or evidence. If it is pseudoscience, you should be able to show how, right?

Tucker6900

There is no doubt that it is true.

And for those news agencies out there who say he "allegedy" did this, find a new job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxcmbM1qtN0

For those of you out there who call this a "legal spanking" Your full of BS!!!!

This is absolutely atrocious. This man should be relieved of duty, and charged like the criminal he is. A beating like that.....over a computer......I hope he gets whats coming to him.

The mother is just as guilty of this atrocity.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

It's clear that some people 'get their rocks off' from beating a child and Jetson is one of them.

I wonder how he'd like to stand in and take one of those beatings and verbal abuses from a big hairy guy twice his size just to see what it's like?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I only know for sure what worked and didn't work on me, how I was taught and what I now believe. Spanking a child as a first resort, or nearly a first resort is bad policy. That being said, it is my opinion that a child knowing that spanking is on the table if he/she doesn't comply with the other, gradually worsening forms of persuasion (not staying in a time-out for instance, then not responding to having privileges taken away) is necessary.

As I child I found being spanked far more embarrassing than painful. It was also the embarrassment that kept me from doing something again and not pain. I did experience being "whooped" a couple of times and that DID NOT work and only made me mad. As an adult I realize that painful punishment only caused resentment and isn't necessary or productive.

So, IMHO, physical punishment shouldn't be used to induce pain but embarrassment. If I had to guess I'd say that as a child, I projected that embarrassment on to the act that caused my spanking itself.

I'd also add, that a little slap on the rear seems necessary to me when a child is too young to understand other forms of persuasion in the case of the child doing something stupid that might get that child injured or killed. There could be plenty of examples from electrical cords to waddling out towards the street.

I don't hurt my dog when he does naughty things either, but I do physically touch by grabbing the scruff of his neck or giving him a little reminder swat on the butt when he doesn't sit like he's told and I definitely do praise him for doing good. In my training of various dogs, I've found I only use physical pain for one thing: That's when they bite as a puppy. When they nip my hand, and with my hand in the dogs mouth, I "bite" back with that hand by pinching until they squeak. Doesn't take long and they get the idea that biting is NOT OK. So, along with my own experiences, if being too physical is detrimental to a dog, it should be to a kid too but not being physical at all hasn't worked either.

So, I guess to summarize: I believe that physical "touching" is necessary; not really to cause pain, but to get attention, or cause embarrassment in the case of children.

All my opinion of course and based on the empirical evidence of myself which; I might add, holds far greater weight for me than other things.

Uber_Olafsun

Well, if they weren't family, then it would be assault if the "guy" didn't have the parents consent.

I didn't realize that parents could give permission for assault? Oh wait they can't. If you saw someone getting beat in the street would you try to help in any way or ask if that was their kid?

His dog is PRIVATE property. It's none of the government's business what he does with that dog. Of course that is NOT the reality these days. People are just fighting to give their liberties away so they can get into their neighbor's business.

So Vick should not have had anything done for operating a dog fighting ring? Internet videos of cats being crushed and animals tortured are ok because they are property?

georg jetson

Do you have the ability to show how this is "psuedo [sic] science"? Seriously, you call the citations crap, despite the fact they are supported by the vast, overwhelming majority of medical and child practitioners. In doing so, though, you utterly fail to provide your own counter citations, studies, or evidence. If it is pseudoscience, you should be able to show how, right?

Duplicate...

Last edited:

georg jetson

The government should not be involved in family matters... where are your studies to show otherwise.

georg jetson

It's clear that some people 'get their rocks off' from beating a child and Jetson is one of them.

I wonder how he'd like to stand in and take one of those beatings and verbal abuses from a big hairy guy twice his size just to see what it's like?

I apprecitae the link you've provided. It's certainly inspired some usefull discussion.

Question - Is this all you can offer as input?

georg jetson

I didn't realize that parents could give permission for assault? Oh wait they can't. If you saw someone getting beat in the street would you try to help in any way or ask if that was their kid?

Corporal punishment is not assault in my state. However, if it is administered without parental consent then it can be prosecuted.

So Vick should not have had anything done for operating a dog fighting ring? Internet videos of cats being crushed and animals tortured are ok because they are property?

They're not ok... but the government has no business interveneing.... geezzz... is this a gun rights site or not??? I see the same thing time and again. People not understanding the role of government. Sure... any excuse to get into people's business... and the good old govenment eats itup.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Alright Georg, since you said it was a case by case basis as to who a child should tell if they are being abused, I will give you a scenario. You tell us what the child should do.

A girl, 8 years old is being sexually abused by her father. The father is also beating the mother who is too afraid to do anything. There is no family in the area and the young girl has no idea how to contact he out-of-state family. The only time the girl gets out of the house is when she goes to public school. Friends are not allowed at the house. Who does she tell?

By the way, I get your argument that the government should stay of o our family lives. But in the above situation who will intervene, if not some form of government authority?

Last edited:

georg jetson

Alright Georg, since you said it was a case by case basis as to who a child should tell if they are being abused, I will give you a scenario. You tell us what the child should do.

A girl, 8 years old is being sexually abused by her father. The father is also beating the mother who is too afraid to do anything. There is no family in the area and the young girl has no idea how to contact he out-of-state family. The only time the girl gets out of the house is when she goes to public school. Friends are not allowed at the house. Who does she tell?

By the way, I get your argument that the government should stay of o our family lives. But in the above situation who will intervene, if not some form of government authority?

You present a difficult and sad scenario. It is true that instances like this may happen. However, it is not enough of a reason for a free society to have a government intervene in a parent's RIGHT to discipline their children.

Keep in mind that gun control advocates use similar emotional arguments against the 2A. Just put it in terms we're all familiar with...
The same girl finds her father's handgun and kills herself... the answer is to ban handguns right?? Of course not... Whatever the solution to your hypothetical... it is most certainly NOT found in government.

Also, keep this in mind. It is the creator from which we derive out rights. The CREATOR decided to give parents their children without a license or mandatory training. The issue of parents abusing their authority over their children is between them and their creator. It is inescapable that this will continue to happen. All we do by giving government the power to intervene is to give it the power to control our family and in essence totally control us. By allowing the state into the family, you're supporting "big brother knows best".

Badger Johnson

Mr Jetson calls it discipline. I'd like to see him beat within an inch of his life for, oh, what, not taking out the garbage one time. He'll change his tune. It's not discipline it's abuse and if he can't tell the difference he shouldn't be allowed around children.

slowfiveoh

His dog is PRIVATE property. It's none of the government's business what he does with that dog. Of course that is NOT the reality these days. People are just fighting to give their liberties away so they can get into their neighbor's business.

You are a disgusting individual who preaches his religiosity all around the forum then unilaterally tells all of us he is ok with:

A.) Child Abuse

and

B.) Animal Abuse

You're a sad dude and if I ever saw you beating your kid like this you would be even more pitiful than you are right now.

What a wretched, foul individual.

Begin your back-pedalling now. Oh wait...too late.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You present a difficult and sad scenario. It is true that instances like this may happen. However, it is not enough of a reason for a free society to have a government intervene in a parent's RIGHT to discipline their children.

Keep in mind that gun control advocates use similar emotional arguments against the 2A. Just put it in terms we're all familiar with...
The same girl finds her father's handgun and kills herself... the answer is to ban handguns right?? Of course not... Whatever the solution to your hypothetical... it is most certainly NOT found in government.

Also, keep this in mind. It is the creator from which we derive out rights. The CREATOR decided to give parents their children without a license or mandatory training. The issue of parents abusing their authority over their children is between them and their creator. It is inescapable that this will continue to happen. All we do by giving government the power to intervene is to give it the power to control our family and in essence totally control us. By allowing the state into the family, you're supporting "big brother knows best".

Despite that long explanation and your desire to inject religion into every thread, you never actually answered my question.

Who does the little girl tell??? I presented a very specific question, to which you should have an answer since you would decide on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

georg jetson

Despite that long explanation and your desire to inject religion into every thread, you never actually answered my question.

Who does the little girl tell???

Yes I did answer the question. The answer is that every circumstance does not have an answer. We live in an imperfect world. I also said that the answer is most certainly NOT government intervention.

Bringing up the Creator is NOT interjecting religion. It is a fact that's where our rights are derrived.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Could I get your opinion on this issue...

Should the governmnet be allowed to interfere in family matters such as discipline?

Discipline? No. Abuse? Yes.

Just like in the adult world, if someone's rights are violated, there must be consequences and a way to see about delivering those consequences.

The problem is where does discipline stop and the abuse begin? Defining something that everyone isn't going to agree on is the hard part.

Some might say that as soon as you raise your hand, it's abuse. Others might say that if you leave a bruise, it's abuse. Hell, some cultures still practice "honor killings".

If pressed, Maybe I'd say abuse begins at the point that the intent is to cause harm, emotionally or physically. I think "intent" is key.

As for other heinous acts that are already illegal in the adult world like rape, well that's beyond abuse and clearly a criminal act.

This one's tough because of the absence of the right of majority. Where do the parents rights stop and the kid's begin? If you're not an emancipated minor your parents must have certain controlls over you and are liable for your actions.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes I did answer the question. The answer is that every circumstance does not have an answer. We live in an imperfect world. I also said that the answer is most certainly NOT government intervention.

Bringing up the Creator is NOT interjecting religion. It is a fact that's where our rights are derrived.

Let me try one more time...

Who does the little girl tell? Give me our hypothetical answer.

As to your "fact", I will reserve my thoughts for another thread.

Last edited: