• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting New Mexico

Phoenix David

Greetings from the West.

Will be going to New Mexico in Sept for the New Mexico State IDPA match, so of course I'll be taking a gun or two or three. I have a Arizona CCW which New Mexico has reciprocity with. From what I have been able to gather from reading the state Laws it doesn't seem that my vehicle mode of carry would be an issue but just in case.

When traveling I have my carry pistol in the open center console in a holster attached to the console wall not visible outside the vehicle I won't be going to any of the prohibited place, just to my hotel, which is the match hotel, maybe stopping for gas, when I leave my vehicle it goes with me. The others would be unloaded and cased in luggage.

Anything I may have missed or should be concerned about with the method of car carry?

Thanks in advance.

AH.74

You have a good handle on it- there are really no restrictions on car carry. You actually do not need a license to conceal inside your vehicle; you can basically do whatever you want, in the vehicle. Once you leave the vehicle, you are good to conceal with your AZ license.

You MAY keep your other guns loaded, with one on the chamber if you want- hand and long guns. No restrictions on that.

The basic principle is called extended domain- your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can do whatever you want as far as carrying and concealing and general storage and handling in your home, so those same things can be done in the vehicle.

The only odd thing I would mention, just in case- and which does not apply while in the vehicle- is that you can only conceal one gun on your person while out and about in public.

Enjoy your stay here.

wabbit

not sure if you have ventured to this part of the land of enchantment before ~ but welcome either way.

since AH covered the original query quite well...

make sure you indulge yourself after the match at Casa de Benavidez Restaurant 8032 4th St NW, Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM an out of the way favorite for locals as most have grown weary of El Pintos $$ and fast food mentality menus.

for Sunday's breakfast hit the other local favorite Murphy's Mule Barn 9700 2nd St NW Albuquerque, NM 87114 a local hole in the wall favored by locals and packed weekend mornings from folk far and wide.

lots to see in the area, from the Pueblo museum downtown to taking the tram to the top of the mountain.

a word of caution, remember NM leads the country in DWI caused accident/deaths in the nation as we still lose 450/annually on our roads and the situation is worse after darkness falls, just be careful.

Finally, safe drive, enjoy your time in the most populated portion of NM, and of course GOOD SHOOTING!!

wabbit