• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Wisconsin from Washington State

solus

Just has to be 5x7 in size on an outside door.

How much do you pay attention to WI gun laws?...

apparently a hit more than you do protias because IAW WI Statute 943.13(bm)(2) states...
"that is at least 5 inches by 7 inches."

you stated "has to be..." yet the WI statutory guidance states "at least"!

And as mentioned, here you are poffering 9 year olde guidance to members as gospel...

pkbites

In regards to the Federal Gun-Free School Zone, each state allows resident CPL holders to be within the 1,000 foot radius with no issues (generally), as there can be circumstances where the resident lives, or does business, within the 1,000 foot radius. The same cannot be said about non-residents with reciprocity.

Wisconsins statute gives out of state licensees the same status as resident licensees. If your permit/license is valid here you’re fine as long as you don’t actually go on school grounds.

Last edited:

pkbites

Our leaders have been feckless ever since Act 35 was passed. The only improvements have been police (current, retired, or even fired) can carry on school grounds, but us serfs cannot

The statute says officers have to have departed from their agency in good standing. So I don’t see how a fired officer can receive a firearm certification card.

protias

apparently a hit more than you do protias because IAW WI Statute 943.13(bm)(2) states...
"that is at least 5 inches by 7 inches."

you stated "has to be..." yet the WI statutory guidance states "at least"!

And as mentioned, here you are poffering 9 year olde guidance to members as gospel...
Rather than jumping down someone's throat for not saying "at least," perhaps it would be better to add that than to approach someone the way you had originally did?

But again, WI carrying laws have not changed much in the last 9 years, unless you can prove otherwise.

pkbites

On every entrance.

In theory one would have a defense if one entrance to the building was not posted.

But again one has to leave if asked.

I went into the Barnes and Noble store at Mayfair about 2 weeks ago. I didn’t see a sign on the B&N entrance. I didn’t see a sign from the store entrance into the mall area either. Perhaps I will go back and double check. If there are signs I will correct myself here.

It’s not a crime to ignore those signs, only a forfeiture. And even if it was a crime, why do they think someone who is intent on homicide would be deterred by a sign? I think the chance of running into an armed patron would have a greater effect.

If an otherwise law abiding patron chose to ignore those signs and ended up saving their life or someone else's, are they really going to be concerned with a little fine? If carrying concealed how would anyone know unless prompted to act in an emergency? I’m not telling anyone to ignore those signs, but there is a concept regarding taking calculated risks.

pkbites

Took me a while. But I got back to Barnes and Noble at Mayfair Mall yesterday. Absolutely no postings regarding weapons anywhere on their sole entrance from the inside. Not on the outside door nor on the doors in the vestibule.

There is one way into the mall area from the book store, it's on the lower level (the upper level entrance is closed indefinitely). There are no postings whatsoever at the entrance to the mall from the book store.

So if someone is legally carrying and entered the mall from the book store, I don't see how they'd be in violation of anything.