• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waiting more than 14 days for your NH non-resident? READ THIS!

mvpel

imported post

In this OCDO thread, a Washington resident indicated that the check for his New Hampshire non-resident carry license was cashed on June 4, but he's still waiting for his license from the State Police.

When he called, they told him that they'd been out of ribbon for their printer since April, and that he'd have to continue to wait until early July.

This violates RSA 159:4, which requires them to either issue or deny the license within 14 calendar days.

Please, if anyone is in this same boat, waiting more than 14 days for the issuance of a non-resident pistol/revolver license from New Hampshire, Gun Owners of New Hampshire needs to hear from you. We are planning to speak to the State Police about this issue and their disregard of the deadline in the law, and the more information we have from you, the better the appointment will go for us.

Please either PM me here, call GO-NH's attorney Penny Dean via the GO-Phone at 603-225-GONH, or e-mail "president@gonh.org, treasurer@gonh.org, penny@pennydean.com" and provide the following information as soon as possible:

1. The date you sent in your application.
- if you sent it certified/return receipt, a copy of this paperwork
2. The date your check was cashed.
- the bank's image or a copy of your cancelled check would be ideal
3. Your full name, address, phone number, and e-mail
4. The name of the state which issued the carry license you used to support your NH application.

We hope that we can get this issue resolved quickly, and we're counting on your help to be able to do so.

Thanks!

mp3mogul

imported post

Well, I'll be watching mine carefully. I applied 10 days ago, by mail from Virginia. I filled out the form completely, and enclosed a copy of my CHP for Virginia, as instructed, along with my check for 20.00.

I have been watching my bank online, and as of this date, the check has still not been cashed, although, it could have been, but just hasn't made it to my bank yet. I'm really not in need of my permit from NH until the first week of August, as I have to make a trip to Alabama (reciprocity state) to drop my daughter off at the University Of Alabama, and I would like to be able to carry in Alabama when driving.

I will keep you posted as to anything I see or hear from NH. When my bank shows the check cashed, I will send the information you are requesting.

bradco

imported post

Been 11 Days and my check has yet be cashed, hopefully it will not go passed the 14, we'll see, but as mp3mogul said, I am in no need for it currently, just the principal of them obeying their own laws, would be nice :cool:

mvpel

imported post

Given the holiday on the 14th day, and the fact the check hasn't been cashed, it seems unlikely they'll comply with the law with either of you. It's calendar days, not business days.

mp3mogul

imported post

Mvpel,

Thanks for being concerned! I do appreciate it very much. I am deserious to get this permit so when I travel back to the UofA I will be able to carry my licensed firearm in protection of my family. As long as I get it before the first week of August I am okay, and as I stated, I mailed it in on June 20th.

zakst1

imported post

Hello,

I am the Washington resident spoken of earlier.

I spoke with Penny Dean of GONH this past Thursday, and she asked me to find out whether or not those others who have been waiting for their NH non-resident concealed pistol licenses have spoken to the NH State Police to find out the status on their licenses. If you could please let me know (either PM or just post it) if you have, also if they told you what they told me as the lack of ribon being the reason for the delay. I will pass on the info to her as soon as I hear from you.

bradco

imported post

I have not yet spoken to anyone, but also my check has not been presented for payment either, I will be calling them on Monday to see if there is a problem, with my paperwork or some other reason, which should not. I sent check, copy of my CT front and back and references as requested, aloing with application.

mp3mogul

imported post

I haven't spoken to anyone. My check has not presented for payment either, today is 16 calendar days.

If you choose, my info is below you can give to her if you want.

Ricky D. Davis

Salem, Virginia

I used my Virginia CHP and also enclosed a copy of my drivers license for identity purposes.

Edit: I will try to give them a call during lunch today (7-7) and see what's going on.

bradco

imported post

I just spoke to them and was told it is now taking 4 weeks to process as they are backlogged.

mp3mogul

imported post

I couldn't get any human on the phone. There is a recording stating that it now takes 4 weeks, but once again no human.

I merely wanted to make sure they have received mine, as now it's been 17 days and I will be pressed if not received by the end of the month. I don't know how to get a human on the phone. I pressed 0 when the recording answered but it says "I'm sorry there is no attendent available"

Anyone live close that knows of a private contact number besides (603) 271-3575.

I also do not desire to make the PO'd at me and make it take longer, as I will need it to travel through Georgia into Alabama soon.

In case anyone needs it that can help, my email is mp3mogul@aol.com

bradco

imported post

The same, but I did speak to someone at that same number you have there, I politely asked was there any way to verify that mine was received and the 4 week answer was what I politely got in return, so it seems we are at that point.

mp3mogul

imported post

Okay,

Not being satisfied without being able to talk to a human, I called back over and over until I got a human.

I spoke to a lady, whom I think identified herself as "Rose Marie"

She told me they are taking around 6 to 8 weeks to complete right now. She was very polite on the phone, and I was as well. I don't think I'm going to make the deadline that I needed, I only wish I had known that the 2 week issue was not really the case before I applied, and that the actual time was 4 times that amount.:(

I'm thinking the best course of action now, is to let everything run it's course. I think if we (me, or anyone else) push them, it will delay it even further.

Thanks everyone for your input on this one. Looks like we'll have to just wait it out and see how long it takes.

BlueStreek

imported post

bradco and mp3mogul,

Please re-read the first post in this thread. They can not just take 4 to 6 weeks to issue a "shall issue" permit. It is state law that they MUST respond to your application within 14 days with you permit or a rejection with cause (criminal record or something on your record preventing you from legally owning a firearm). If they can't get through the background check in that time (which is not true) they need to issue the permit and then later pull it if there is a problem.

Contact GO-NH and let them know of this issue. This is a matter of LAW not "most times it takes...." flexible scheduling.

By the way....Nice forum here.

mp3mogul

imported post

Thank you, I have emailed the aforementioned people in the first post. I just don't want to upset anyone into denying my permit. Of course, if they are shall issue, I have done nothing wrong, I have no criminal record, and my application was completed in full, including all required documents.

mp3mogul

imported post

Well, I did just as stated above, I emailed the trio of listings.

Penny Dean emailed me back within 30 minutes. She stated that the people doing the permits don't follow the law, and don't really care about following the law. Further, she stated the only way to get them to follow the law was to file suit against them, and force them to follow the law. She stated further, that unless you do this, nothing will speed it up.

She also told me she had forwarded my email to Rep Welch (I believe was his name) to see what could be done about the flagrant violation of the law.

I'll keep everyone updated if anything changes, but after receiving her email, I don't expect anything to change.

bradco

imported post

I will sit back and see what happens from your actions, as you said I don't think it will make them speed up the process, as I do not have record, I have my FBI prints personally that says no record, also have permits in CT and Pennsylvania, as I was born in Philadelphia and travel there. But it would be nice to have New Hampshire, so i wil patiently wait.

mp3mogul wrote:
Well, I did just as stated above, I emailed the trio of listings.

Penny Dean emailed me back within 30 minutes. She stated that the people doing the permits don't follow the law, and don't really care about following the law. Further, she stated the only way to get them to follow the law was to file suit against them, and force them to follow the law. She stated further, that unless you do this, nothing will speed it up.

She also told me she had forwarded my email to Rep Welch (I believe was his name) to see what could be done about the flagrant violation of the law.

I'll keep everyone updated if anything changes, but after receiving her email, I don't expect anything to change.

mvpel

imported post

I'm thinking the best course of action now, is to let everything run it's course. I think if we (me, or anyone else) push them, it will delay it even further.
Unlike many other states, paper-pushers in New Hampshire are not generally petty and vindictive. Those who are get smoked out before too long. And if you did manage to find a petty and vindictive bureaucrat, they're probably too disorganized to single you out from the pile of other paperwork.

The backlog here falls squarely in the lap of Governor Lynch and the Democrat-controlled legislature. The same problem is coming about in the DMV, where it's taking up to two months to issue a permanent drivers' license, but at least there they're issuing a temporary license. The Dems increased spending by a record-shattering 17% last session, and yet we've got poorer, law-violating service from state agencies. Gotta love it.

jroy7072

imported post

My app including a copy of my MA LTC and NH resident (exp 6/7/8 thinking might be faster?) was sent Jun 19 with no response or check clearance. I was a life long resident of NH up until Feb 08 - I'm confident it will be quicker than the 11 week wait it took for my MA LTC.