• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walgreens Robbery Foiled By Pistol Packing Employee

xd shooter

An attempted robbery failed very early Sunday morning at the Walgreens at Napier and M-139 because one of the employees was armed and fought back. Benton Township police say 2 armed men, wearing masks and gloves entered the store and ordered employees to the back of the store at gunpoint. One worker, already in the back, pulled out his handgun and started firing at the robbers. That employee has a valid Michigan concealed carry permit. The robbers fled empty handed and while no employees were injured, we're not sure about the robbers. Area hospitals were alerted, but we have no reports yet of anyone being treated for gunshot wounds. As of this morning police are still looking for 2 six foot tall black males - one in a black ski jacket, the other wearing a gray or white hooded sweatshirt.

http://www.wsjm.com/pages/9794332.php

budlight

Unfortunately for the employee, he will probably be terminated for violation of the company’s firearm policy. Because of the litigation filled world we live in, employers have found the liability of an employee getting hurt or killed is a lot less than if a criminal is killed on their premises.

xmanhockey7

Unfortunately for the employee, he will probably be terminated for violation of the company’s firearm policy. Because of the litigation filled world we live in, employers have found the liability of an employee getting hurt or killed is a lot less than if a criminal is killed on their premises.

Well he has to be alive to be fired.

mastiff69

Yup cheaper to replace an employee, than to pay other costs,

(and after all employees are a DIME A DOZEN) as quoted by my last employer !

I know that my family, would rather buy ammo than a casket....

hopnpop

I was about to post this story and lo and behold, someone beat me to it! Here's the article in the Herald Paladium....

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2011/05/09/local_news/4700620.txt

Bravo for the employee, will be sad if he loses his job but it probably saved his life and the lives of his co-workers. When the police Lt. says that he would've done the same thing, that's saying something. Yay for armed good guys!!

kubel

Contacted corporate through their website. Not sure if it will do anything, but I quickly reminded them that if the guy gets terminated over what happened, I will not frequent their stores anymore.

MKEgal

Contact Walgreen's

Here's a copy of the email I sent through their web form to the corporate office, praising the responsibly-armed citizen/employee to high heaven, commending Walgreen's for its corporate policy of not prohibiting self-defense, and warning of public backlash if the man is fired.

I've just read a news article about one of your employees in Benton Township, MI and his heroic actions that saved the lives of himself & his co-worker when 2 armed robbers attacked them.
(http://www.freep.com/article/20110510/NEWS06/105100429/Worker-gun-turns-tables-bandits-Walgreens
and
http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2011/05/09/local_news/4700620.txt)

I commend Walgreen's for not prohibiting its employees right to self-defense, esp. when it's obvious the company can't protect them. If these criminals had wanted to rob the store, they would have forced the clerk to open the register & been gone very quickly. By trying to move people to a less-public area, they showed they intended to murder them both.

The lawfully-armed employee acted to save his own life & the life of his co-worker, and should be commended for being a responsible citizen. What a wonderful person to have on your staff! I'm glad to know that people like this are in your stores.

I certainly hope that Walgreen's doesn't find some excuse to fire this responsible citizen. I know that I would not shop at Walgreen's again if that happened, and I've read comments on several message boards discussing this incident saying that other people feel the same way. Disarming employees & customers only makes things easier for the criminals.

Don't copy it verbatim, of course, but go thou & do likewise. :)

ETA: oh, bleep... corporate is in IL. :(
(800) 925-4733
7:30am to 5:00 pm Central Time, Monday through Friday

Walgreen Company Consumer Relations
1411 Lake Cook Rd, Mail Stop #L428
Deerfield, IL

Last edited:

Mitchell

It was the night Pharmacist that fired his revolver at the armed robbers. This particular Walgreen's has no camera's for ID and is open 24 hrs.

I have been told by a friend of his that Walgreen's is looking to transfer due to retaliation. But his concern is the corporate CEZ policy and his employment.

autosurgeon

It was the night Pharmacist that fired his revolver at the armed robbers. This particular Walgreen's has no camera's for ID and is open 24 hrs.

I have been told by a friend of his that Walgreen's is looking to transfer due to retaliation. But his concern is the corporate CEZ policy and his employment.

If this is true they haven't learned... the whole reason they built the new store and moved from a more secluded spot on Pipestone is because they were getting robbed all the time.

Mitchell

Yeah, he got his CPL because of the neighbors in St Joe's and the lack of security. Stop by and give him support. I understand he works the night shift.

Last edited:

hopnpop

A pharmacy with no cameras??? Mmmm don't think so..... not in today's age.... the criminals wouldn't have been ID'd anyway, wearing masks and gloves....

Onnie

A pharmacy with no cameras??? Mmmm don't think so..... not in today's age.... the criminals wouldn't have been ID'd anyway, wearing masks and gloves....

I know of several right here in Monroe County 35 miles south of Detroit that don't have cameras or anything in the way of security. Now they are small individually owned, and that may be the difference, I dont know

Gort

I sent e-mail to Walgreens Corporate, praising the employee that probably saved lives of fellow employees, and that the future of this employee be secured, and said that, many people in Michigan were concerned for this employee,

Here is their e-mail to Me
May 12, 2011

Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to email our Corporate Offices regarding an employee at our 875 E Napier Rd store location.

We are thankful that no customers nor any of our employees were injured during this incident. We're investigating the matter and will be speaking with all of our employees involved as part of that process.
Again, thank you for contacting our corporate office. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.
Sincerely,
April S.
Manager, Consumer Relations
Ref # 3067794
http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/...Store service&h3=Store management&h4=consumer