• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart and open carry

MrRight

[Why is so quiet in here?]

Walmart has "respectfully requested" that customers do not open carry in Walmart.

I still open carry everywhere I legally can and have not ever received so much as a sideways glance.

Any other experiences out there? Particularly in Walmart stores recently.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I don't know about CO, but here in TX (presently I'm in El Paso, where that Walmart got shot up pretty bad and only just recently re-opened) -- and as Walmart Corporate Policy "respectfully requesting" apparently is nation-wide and regardless of state law I have the same "No OCing" issue here in TX as you do in CO. Consequently, I take my gun out of it's OC (OWB) holster and put it in my vest pocket before going into the store. All anyone sees (including the armed security at the doors, IF anyone does notice) is an empty holster.
Funny though, some cops STILL don't notice the holster, and when I was OCing in Walmarts right BEFORE it came out asking for no OCing but DID have armed security in place, cops STILL didn't notice even when a gun was IN the holster. They're not as observant as I expected. I also talked to most of them when I was OCing and then later when only empty-holstering -- no negative encounters/conversations. One even said he "wasn't worried about legal carriers as you have our backs." I told him true, but if anything happened I'd get behind him to shoot as HE was the one wearing the "bullet resistant" vest. ;-)
Whatever, I've decided to respect Walmart's "respectfully requesting" and do NOT OC in Walmarts here in TX anymore (in NM you couldn't OC anyway, even before this ELP Walmart shooting, as per NM state law where they sell alcohol, even if only for off-site consumption, so I always have to CC there)...but I'm not going to push the envelope as I see it as counterproductive. At least I can CARRY (even if CC only).
Further -- here in ELP-- if one DOES enter a Walmart OCing, the armed security (a City cop, off-duty but wearing their uniforms for this part-time 2nd job, Sheriff deputy or some other armed security) WILL stop you if you're OCing and ask you to leave. So there's not any way to win here (at least here in ELP). BTW, I've see City cops at Best Buys, too. No, like Walmart and the supermarkets, they're not there for shoplifters, they're there for mass/psycho-shooters. Don't know if any Best Buys in CO went to armed security like they did here, but not sure Best Buy STILL has them or if it was only for a while after the Walmart shooting.
I'm returning to CO (COS specifically) in about 10 months, and I'll be doing the very same there: Not OCing in any Walmart...or King Soopers, Safeway or Albertsons -- as they ALSO have "respectfully requested." I used to OC exclusively in COS and here in ELP -- and still do and WILL do every OTHER place I can OC -- but not in these named stores. I MAY be able to avoid ever going to a Walmart again, true, so I could boycott them in "personal protest" if I wanted to (as some gun-carriers say they're doing now) but I'm not going that far, nor do I go to Walmart much anyway. As as for supermarets, I HAVE to go to a supermarket, so boycotting them really isn't an option (yet!).
So for me, I WILL still carry in all those "No OC" stores as I will NOT go about unarmed, but won't be carrying openly. As soon as I'm OUT of the store, however, my gun is back in my OC holster quicker than you can whistle "Dixie."
-- Josey Wales ;-)

Last edited:

solus

Cloudcraft nice to see your smile again...

i’m sorry to hear the knee jerk response from the El Paso shooting has gotten to the point of armed off duty LE making at least 60$/hour for their union as it drives up overhead for the store which passes it on to those who can least afford the price increases...sigh!

when ya get settled in COS perhaps you can resurrect some semblance of COGO again but when back hollar and let’s see if we can manage to get our schedules together to say hello as I have several sojourns planned to Denver next year ~ I’ll spring for dinner at edelweiss if that suits your palate?

ya as discussed out there in the land of disenchantment the NM liquor board is pulling a fast one with their firearm carry statute adherence nonsense...not sure what or why those idiots in SF are thinking that way???

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Solus,
About the only time I went to Denver was to the VA Medical Facility up there. When I get back, same thing, except I'll be going to the NEW facility for the very first time (YEARS late and $BILLIONS over budget, but still in Denver)...I went to the OLD facility when I was living there earlier (2013-2016). And given that Denver/Denver County is a "No OC Zone" (due to Denver exempting itself from its own CO State Constitution!), after my VA app'ts I immediately head out West to the Ken Caryl Ranch area in Littleton (to a Village Inn or IHOP (OCing of course as it's outside of repressive/liberal Denver) where I can relax/breathe easier. But for sure I don't mind going up there for other reasons such as meeting fellow-gun carriers. After all, I used to hold "OC Get Togethers" (OCers, CCers and newbies ALL invited -- "embracing diversity" if you will) up in the Denver area (suburbs AROUND Denver) a few times (Golden, Broomfield, Aurora) and didn't mind the hour or so drive up (from COS).
Further, even though my earlier "Get Together" attempts were disappointing attendance-wise (I concluded due to the lack of interest and laziness of CO gun owners, but in all fairness that's also true of gun-owners/carriers in MOST places, again IME in CO, NM and TX), I MAY try to hold some more Get Togethers in the future. I'll likely try first in COS, not only because that's where I'll be living (again) but also because COS is the most conservative-leaning (~60/40) of the 4 major CO cites. However, even in COS (given past experience there) I'd expect the SAME lack of interest/laziness, but I may try again nonetheless. Otherwise -- but as always WHEREVER I live (as I do here now in ELP) -- I do the "Lone Wolf" thing trying to spread the "Pro-Armed-Citizen & CARRY" gospel with people I meet while out & about, IF they show interest/ask questions (I don't push the message on anyone unsolicited). And give them my "card" if they have further questions.
Still, MORE of us need to be out there amongst the general public "changing hearts & minds," IMO...
But as mentioned earlier, it'll be a while before I get back up there (October 2020) but when I do (and am settled in my highly overpriced apt, as per expensive (!) cost-of-housing CO, renting OR buying!!) I'll let you know.
As for where we could go/meet, I'm not particular. Plus, as I'm only in liberal/Democrat Denver as little as possible (VA business mainly, and only occasionally) I don't know much about eateries there so wherever is fine with me.
Later then,
-- cloudcroft
P.S. As for the COGO (Colorado Gun Owners forum), as one member mentioned it DOES seem their COGO Facebook page is the active site, so that seems to be doing okay, but still, not a lot of traffic really. Sadly, it's just more evidence that CO gun-owners/carriers just aren't into (no enthusiasm) supporting anything, be it forums or get-togethers of like-minded people. And embarrassing really, compared to The Left, which has PLENTY of "enthusiasm" for THEIR agenda. :-(

Last edited: