• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WalMart Firearm policy?

NewHampshireNative

I was searching the web for information on WalMarts Firearm policy and came across this letter from WalMart stating their Firearm Policy for Concealed Carry as well as Open Carry.

"DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM

Subject: RE: Firearms

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc."

As you can see the date of the replay is 1999 so I'm unsure if they still follow this policy or if it has been changed to meet the times. I searched more and have been unable to find anything saying it was changed. I will call WalMart and get a Up to date letter with contact information from Corp. So when we do this OC at WalMart we can show them the letter stating walmarts policy and who we spoke to.

NewHampshireNative

I called WalMart and talked with the customer care department and she searched and read me this.

"There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care"

She did say that it has to be some kind of store management that asks you to leave not just any employee can tell you to. As i have read most of the time they just ask you to remove your firearm and place it in your vehicle before returning into the store.

flb_78

LilRedMeanie

I've open carried in the Walmart in West Lebanon and NEVER had a problem. Many of their employees have seen me do it, and even asked positive questions about it!

Mrgrn

i open carry in walmart in keene, claremont, tilton never had a problem

Jay

I have OC'd in West Lebanon more times than I can count. Claremont maybe three or four times I have never had a problem, and have actually bought ammunition on several occasions from West Leb. while OCing.

jhp

The problem I had tonight at walmart

Okay here's the problem I had tonight and I'm gonna look into Walmarts open carry policy and would appreciate any help. I live in Virginia which is a open carry state I am also licensed with my CCW. I have been to the Walmart right down the road from my house many times and have carried concealed and open in there many times with no problems at all until tonight. one of the new heads there who also happens to be someone who told me it was state law that they can't sell ammo after 10pm. Which he said he would show me on paper and which he came back later and said he was wrong. after I had to argue with him about it. Well he seen me in there tonight and asked what was going on I stated nothing same stuff different day. as he walked by he seen my pistol being open carried to which he ask me to cover it up that its company policy that it can't be visible. I did what he asked but stated I seen no sign posted nor have I ever had a problem with it and Virginia is an open carry state. He said he was positive it was store policy but never offer to show me nor did he have it on paper. My thing is this is the same guy who was so sure about the ammo and was completely wrong. So I told him I'm gonna look into it personally as I have never had a problem before with open carry. Anyone have any info? If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I want to be proved wrong. Thanks in advance

aadvark

jhp:

Wal-Mart allows the Open carry of HandGuns in their Retail Establishments, consistent to applicable State Law wherein the State that the Wal-Mart is found.

In short..., IF your actions with your HandGun are Lawful in a particular State, then, Wal-Marts throughout the same State will follow the Law in question as well.

Call Wal-Mart at: 1-800-WAL-MART.

aadvark

P.S.: Must People THINK that they know The Law, BUT they do not! I have never heard of any such non-sense as..., '...[w]e can not sell Ammo past 10 p.m...'. The comment is laughable, especially in The CommonWealth of Virginia.

P.S.2: An Employee does not have the force and effect of a Manager, and MANY Wal-Mart Managers ARE aware of Wal-Mart's Official Company Policy as above, and on file with the Customer Service Personnel at the Wal-Mart Phone No., as provided.

Last edited:

NewHampshireNative

Okay here's the problem I had tonight and I'm gonna look into Walmarts open carry policy and would appreciate any help. I live in Virginia which is a open carry state I am also licensed with my CCW. I have been to the Walmart right down the road from my house many times and have carried concealed and open in there many times with no problems at all until tonight. one of the new heads there who also happens to be someone who told me it was state law that they can't sell ammo after 10pm. Which he said he would show me on paper and which he came back later and said he was wrong. after I had to argue with him about it. Well he seen me in there tonight and asked what was going on I stated nothing same stuff different day. as he walked by he seen my pistol being open carried to which he ask me to cover it up that its company policy that it can't be visible. I did what he asked but stated I seen no sign posted nor have I ever had a problem with it and Virginia is an open carry state. He said he was positive it was store policy but never offer to show me nor did he have it on paper. My thing is this is the same guy who was so sure about the ammo and was completely wrong. So I told him I'm gonna look into it personally as I have never had a problem before with open carry. Anyone have any info? If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I want to be proved wrong. Thanks in advance

WalMart's use to have a map of the US in the sporting goods area of the store showing what stores would sell firearms in each state. Show the states in green and the none firearm states in red. Under that in big white text it would say "Hours Firearms May be Purchased 8:00am-10:00pm" It said nothing about ammo. The (C) on the bottom of the sign is dated 2004. To the best of my knowledge there is no law stating you can not buy ammo and or a firearm after 10pm. It's just a WalMart Policy! Why that is I have no idea! Some say it's because WalMart does not want department registers open after 10pm they want cashiers upfront after the night peek hours. Now states may have some laws on the books or even a federal law stating it. But I have not been able to find one(fed law that is) I don't have the time to search every state for a law or city code. WalMart workers are over worked and under paid so most don't give a crap what you do in the store. At the same time you do have a few workers who think they are hot s h i t because they work for WalMart. Who will try and act like a manager and pull company policy's and even State/Fed laws out of their asses! Just to make it seem that you cant do something and make them self's look bigger then they are.

nhsig220

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Their official corporate policy is to allow what state law allows, that way they seem to respect our rights. However, they do allow the GM of the store to decide if firearms can be carried or not. It states right under their official policy statement this very information on their website. If they honestly respected our rights, then they wouldn't have a sales clerk carry a firearm purchase to the door before handing it to the purchaser. This is why I will never buy a firearm from walmart, and the fact it takes revenue from my local shops!

hrdware

Their official corporate policy is to allow what state law allows, that way they seem to respect our rights. However, they do allow the GM of the store to decide if firearms can be carried or not. It states right under their official policy statement this very information on their website. If they honestly respected our rights, then they wouldn't have a sales clerk carry a firearm purchase to the door before handing it to the purchaser. This is why I will never buy a firearm from walmart, and the fact it takes revenue from my local shops!

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this information from their site would you?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I went searching for the site but can't find it. I read that several years ago on a website of theirs, however, I emailed their customer service, and received the same response as in post#2.

BryteEyez

No Firearm sales after 10p at Wal-Mart Stores.

WalMart's use to have a map of the US in the sporting goods area of the store showing what stores would sell firearms in each state. Show the states in green and the none firearm states in red. Under that in big white text it would say "Hours Firearms May be Purchased 8:00am-10:00pm" It said nothing about ammo. The (C) on the bottom of the sign is dated 2004. To the best of my knowledge there is no law stating you can not buy ammo and or a firearm after 10pm. It's just a WalMart Policy! Why that is I have no idea! Some say it's because WalMart does not want department registers open after 10pm they want cashiers upfront after the night peek hours. Now states may have some laws on the books or even a federal law stating it. But I have not been able to find one(fed law that is) I don't have the time to search every state for a law or city code. WalMart workers are over worked and under paid so most don't give a crap what you do in the store. At the same time you do have a few workers who think they are hot s h i t because they work for WalMart. Who will try and act like a manager and pull company policy's and even State/Fed laws out of their asses! Just to make it seem that you cant do something and make them self's look bigger then they are.

I actually work for Wal-Mart in the Sporting Goods Dept. We were told the N.I.C.S. Information line we call for background checks (because not all of us have a CC Permit.) This is not true. N.I.C.S. is available 24/7. This is a Home Office decision. It is programmed into the computer system and will not permit a firearm sale after 9:59pm. Ammunition sales after 10pm are a store managers call. Just as it is the store managers call to require all HANDGUN ammunition to be rang AT THE SPORTING GOODS COUNTER. (Such as in our store).
While an associate is on the clock we are not permitted to carry. (it is against policy for me to even have in my vehicle.)

mpguy

So in Virginia, you can buy ammo after 10 pm from wally world? I would love a updated phone number to request this info, because I do most of my shopping on the weekend late to avoid the hussle and bussle.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: