• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want out of Denver!

Keens

Well, I have until Oct 7th to give my 2 month notice to my landlord if I'm gonna vacate or stay. Thing is I'm currently in the PDR of Denver, which a lot of you guys already know. Currently, I pay $535/mo base rent in the DTC area which is unheard of! They will increase rent another $65 if i renew, which is BS to me (good way to drive tenants away!) It's a decent place with washer/dryer, wood burning fireplace, dishwasher, central air, etc. But it's still Denver. I've been getting some alarmed looks recently from my neighbors this past week! I've been on vacation all week, so every single day I was bringing cased rifles in and out. Pistols in range bags in and out to/from home to car. Denver police making daily runs. Never saw a Denver cop around here prior to my vacation. PDR residents don't like that and I know I'm well within my rights! Been doing a lot of range time, plus National Forest, and some smithing trying to diagnose some family members gun issues, so hence lots of guns!

I think it's time for me to move! To a more OC friendly town! I would love to move to Monument or the Springs if I can find a job down there! And an affordable place. I've been here in the Metro area all my life, it's time for a change! Also, I wouldn't mind having an OC friendly housemate. It's just time for me to get out of here! I want to start fresh, new job, new place to live, new friends, and an OC friendly town!

Please keep remarks respectable! I would like to make this move in life. I just feel like I'm not getting anywhere in Denver or the Metro area, plus it's time for a change. It doesn't hurt for one to expand on his horizons!

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
The cheapest 1 BR I found here in the Springs that wasn't a dive was $550. I currently pay $905 for my 1 BR, but that includes extra for a storage garage as well as a covered carport. It's $795 for just the rent, but it's in a nice complex, with pool, jacuzzi, and a great gym.

S

scubabeme

What skill sets do you possess for job hunting purposes? (likely help to determine location). I can't speak to jobs in CS, but I'm sure someone on here can.

Keens

The cheapest 1 BR I found here in the Springs that wasn't a dive was $550. I currently pay $905 for my 1 BR, but that includes extra for a storage garage as well as a covered carport. It's $795 for just the rent, but it's in a nice complex, with pool, jacuzzi, and a great gym.

I always thought the CS area was cheaper than the Denver metro area. I've noticed on Craigslist some good prices, around the $450 (for a dive) to about $600 for what appears to be a decent place. I'm just gonna have to go down there and see for myself. I'm not too picky, just want a safe area and a garage.

Keens

What skill sets do you possess for job hunting purposes? (likely help to determine location). I can't speak to jobs in CS, but I'm sure someone on here can.

I've done lots of different things! Been a mechanic, a tile installer, a purchasing and inventory manager, worked for Fed Ex as a driver, among other things. I have some college, no degree. I'm quick to learn new skills though. As long as I'm happy and it pays the bills and leaves some left for savings, I'm fine with whatever.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Well, there's lots of apartment complexes, here. I've looked at more than 20 of them, and recently moved from one that I thought was the heat but was problematic to one that's actually very good.

Gunslinger

I always thought the CS area was cheaper than the Denver metro area. I've noticed on Craigslist some good prices, around the $450 (for a dive) to about $600 for what appears to be a decent place. I'm just gonna have to go down there and see for myself. I'm not too picky, just want a safe area and a garage.

You can get a nice place, 1br, in the $600-750 range in several desireable spots in town. Stay north and away from Murray Ave and the Fountain area further south. Jobs are where you find them. What are you doing now, and why wouldn't you consider just commuting to it from COS?

JamesB

Well, there's lots of apartment complexes, here. I've looked at more than 20 of them, and recently moved from one that I thought was the heat but was problematic to one that's actually very good.

Ok, that'd be just funny if he moved into your old place.

Keens

You can get a nice place, 1br, in the $600-750 range in several desireable spots in town. Stay north and away from Murray Ave and the Fountain area further south. Jobs are where you find them. What are you doing now, and why wouldn't you consider just commuting to it from COS?

I plan on the northern part of the COS. No way am I gonna commute 2 hours a day!

jmar254

Wheat Ridge is very nice, Jefferson County. But truth be told anywhere is better than Denver.

Keens

Out of time!

Looks like I'm just going to have to stay for another year. I've looking for a while and have not found anything decent for my price range. Plus I figure it is going to take some time to find a decent job in this economy. I still am getting a great deal for my area, about $250/mo less than they advertise for same apartment in my complex! That's savings for some new toys vs moving out and paying more! Now I just need to get rid of renting a washer and dryer ($35/mo I rent them from apt) and get my own. Anyone have a set I can buy for around $100 or free??!! ;). I do really want out of Denver (I'm basically right on the border!) but the timing is just not right for now. I sign a new lease on Sat :banghead:

Last edited:

JamesB

Looks like I'm just going to have to stay for another year. I've looking for a while and have not found anything decent for my price range. Plus I figure it is going to take some time to find a decent job in this economy. I still am getting a great deal for my area, about $250/mo less than they advertise for same apartment in my complex! That's savings for some new toys vs moving out and paying more! Now I just need to get rid of renting a washer and dryer ($35/mo I rent them from apt) and get my own. Anyone have a set I can buy for around $100 or free??!! ;). I do really want out of Denver (I'm basically right on the border!) but the timing is just not right for now. I sign a new lease on Sat :banghead:

Can't help ya there, but I can tell ya that I spend about $10/month at a laundromat.

xmanhockey7

Sorry but is it Denver that banned OC or was it some other city in CO. Or am I confused.

rushcreek2

This problem could be divided into two layers. The Colorado Contstitution -which is the supreme law of Colorado - declares that the right of no person to keep & BEAR arms (publicly) in defense of their person shall not (never, nunca) be brought into question. Denver arrogantly ignores this element of Colorado law.

"Home rule" principles notwithstanding - Colorado LAW may not be so arrogantly ignored.
This problem will eventually be rectified by Colorado Supreme Court.

The second layer- from my perspective anyway - if you have a CO CHP and can carry concealed - you are in good shape. If your employment in Denver is significantly beneficial to forestall a relocation to say Colorado Springs - then maybe you should ride this one out.

OC is a political movement for the most part. Advocates of constitutionally protected civil rights such as the right to BEAR ARMS - do so to send a message to the sheep.

A person needs to do what that person believes is necessary to ensure their saftey when in public.

If you really feel that your personal safety is at risk by not being able to OC - then you should relocate to maybe Colorado Springs. If your job is of such a high value to you that exchanging it for another is not a viable option, you should stay where you are - I think.

Amb

I've been wondering, how is it that Denver can do something that is so obviously, blatantly unconstitutional?

xmanhockey7

Which is very dumb.... But at least CO is a "Shall issue" CCW, so at least you can carry a firearm with the proper "card."

Peace,

RebelWolf

I'm looking at doing an internship in Denver (not likely I'll take it OC or not). But I am too young to get a carry permit in CO so I couldn't carry concealed. CO needs to get a preemption preventing such B.S. and if they already have one get a better one.