• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We should adopt a highway

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Joined
May 22, 2006
Messages
2,223
Location
Shasta County, California, USA
imported post

Yes, the topic has been broached recently.

I think any community service would be good- provided we can get adquate participation to make an impression and we have a venue that is sufficiently insulated from gun-free school zones.

The San Diegan contingent is certainly well staffed with ethusiastic supporters- its getting them from the safety of a restaurant that may present a significant challenge.

I think that with as spread out the active OC'rs are here in California, the best thing is to form community cells where we can organize small local events.

Its not just highways that need clean up- its around our lakes and trails, in our city and county parks, its caring for public shooting ranges and conducting defense walks where law enforcement is spread too thin or cant regularly patrol.
 

JB-Norcal

New member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
8
Location
Redding, ,
imported post

Condition Three - it was nice to put the words to faces :D

As far as volunteer work goes -

It might seem a little self-serving, but the Iron Mountain range area is still closed. Maybe if there is some volunteer activity involved we could help it to open sooner, and other shooters can benefit from our actions. Anyone have a BLM connection for quick access through the red tape?
 

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
11,193
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia
imported post

JB-Norcal wrote:
Condition Three - it was nice to put the words to faces :D

As far as volunteer work goes -

It might seem a little self-serving, but the Iron Mountain range area is still closed. Maybe if there is some volunteer activity involved we could help it to open sooner, and other shooters can benefit from our actions. Anyone have a BLM connection for quick access through the red tape?

I know a guy at BLM out of Hollister, but I'm not sure about cutting through red tape...
 

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
2,586
Location
Stanislaus County, California, USA
imported post

JB-Norcal wrote:
It might seem a little self-serving, but the Iron Mountain range area is still closed. Maybe if there is some volunteer activity involved we could help it to open sooner, and other shooters can benefit from our actions.
It is self-serving... that's kinda the point of charity work while OC'ing. We're exchanging community service for publicity. Everybody gets something out of it, so it's good all around.

I think making gunowners the beneficiaries of that charity work is a good idea. Many gun owners are just happy to have what we have now. They don't want to upset the 'powers that be.' We need to win over the hearts and minds of gun owners first and foremost.
 

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
11,193
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia
imported post

MrSigmaDot40 wrote:
I'd love to get something like this going here in the Bay Area.
So would I. It would be a good place to do something like this, too.

What we need is more members in the Bay Area, or to get interest from folks who live out of town.
 

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
11,193
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I think that with as spread out the active OC'rs are here in California, the best thing is to form community cells where we can organize small local events.
The problem with this is that we're not just spread out, we're still few in number.

I would certainly be willing to make the commitment to adopt a highway, even if it weren't especially nearby. I really think this has the potential to jump-start our growth here in Northern California.

Many of us live in places where we don't feel comfortable and/or can't afford taking the legal liability of daily OC, like here in San Francisco (I simply can't financially afford take the risk of being the person to find out how the SFPD would respond to lawful OC). Thus there isn't any activity in, say, the Bay Area.

I think something positive, well-planned and well-organized, like an adopted highway in a location that has good "publicity" and meets our legal requirements, could be just the thing to spark participation for those of us who have literally nothing else to do but wait for Nordyke and wishfully the repeal of 626.9.

Or am I just being overly pessimistic about the legal situation in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, etc.?
 

ComeTakeThem

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
25
Location
Brighton, CO
imported post

Marshaul:

I've open carried in concord, no problems. I wouldn't do it in SF though personally. If you wanna team up for some OC activism send me a PM and we'll work something out.
 

pullnshoot25

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
1,140
Location
Escondido, California, USA
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Yes, the topic has been broached recently.

I think any community service would be good- provided we can get adquate participation to make an impression and we have a venue that is sufficiently insulated from gun-free school zones.

The San Diegan contingent is certainly well staffed with ethusiastic supporters- its getting them from the safety of a restaurant that may present a significant challenge.

I think that with as spread out the active OC'rs are here in California, the best thing is to form community cells where we can organize small local events.

Its not just highways that need clean up- its around our lakes and trails, in our city and county parks, its caring for public shooting ranges and conducting defense walks where law enforcement is spread too thin or cant regularly patrol.
Hey, we're getting out there! ;)

Beach cleanups shall be in order!
 
Top