• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We want our senior citizens/retirees to be armed!

Badger Johnson

I mentioned this topic buried in another thread but I think it deserves its own post.

My friend remarked to me that she felt (and heard her brother say) that we should enable our senior citizens to carry, and carry openly, because this is the segment of the population that is more educated, calmer, more circumspect, slower to anger, more mature and wiser (for the most part) and doing so would have an effect on society similar to 'an armed society is a polite society', IMO.

I'm talking about retired civil servants, retired professionals, lawyers, doctors, clinicians, and especially retired females. Let them open carry everywhere and across state lines. What's the problem? It wouldn't be one that separates states now (variations in 'training').

Heck, I think the state should buy all retired females who want to carry, pink handled revolvers, and free training if they want it. (no BG is gonna 'steal' a pink gun, after all, lol)

Of course, we don't want people who are infirm mentally, the truly elderly to be armed irresponsibly, but otherwise I think it's a brilliant proposition.

j4l

I agree in as far as having a defensive capability. But- how does one go about sorting out those who could qualify from those who should'nt be anywhere near a gun, without discriminating in some form. (and I mean physically/mentally-not whether they have a right or not-before all the yahoos start screaming "TYRANT!" ).

The reason I say so is simply this: If some of them shoot anything like they drive- they're more of a hazard to themselves and everyone around them, than anything else.

Jack House

The elderly tend to be some of the most hot headed psychopaths I've ever met. And it's all because of their age. Everyone not incarcerated in some form or another should have the right to own and carry a weapon of their choice. But I'm not about to advocate giving guns out to the elderly en masse. I don't think it wise.

Daylen

The elderly tend to be some of the most hot headed psychopaths I've ever met. And it's all because of their age. Everyone not incarcerated in some form or another should have the right to own and carry a weapon of their choice. But I'm not about to advocate giving guns out to the elderly en masse. I don't think it wise.

I don't want to pay for it, if they want to be armed buy guns themselves.

PistolPackingMomma

The reason I say so is simply this: If some of them shoot anything like they drive- they're more of a hazard to themselves and everyone around them, than anything else.

The elderly tend to be some of the most hot headed psychopaths I've ever met.

I don't want to pay for it, if they want to be armed buy guns themselves.

All of this. Also, pink handled revolvers are theft proof? They must be, because I wouldn't want one ;)

Badger Johnson

Good points, but I was hoping that people would get my drift about a specific class of retirees, and I avoided 'elderly' because it paints an image of 'infirm'.

I live in a retirement community and almost all of the folks I've encountered are sweethearts.

Yes some old peeps are irascible. But as a group I -think- they tend to be more careful, thoughtful, wise. (do we have gangs of old folks roaming around knocking over liquor stores, lol?)

Besides, if the criminals think old peeps are 'scary', so much the better. :)

j4l

Good points, but I was hoping that people would get my drift about a specific class of retirees, and I avoided 'elderly' because it paints an image of 'infirm'.

I live in a retirement community and almost all of the folks I've encountered are sweethearts.

Yes some old peeps are irascible. But as a group I -think- they tend to be more careful, thoughtful, wise. (do we have gangs of old folks roaming around knocking over liquor stores, lol?)

Besides, if the criminals think old peeps are 'scary', so much the better. :)

Gangs of old folks? Yes, hadnt you seen it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygy7UDADXDg

Steeler-gal

My friend remarked to me that she felt (and heard her brother say) that we should enable our senior citizens to carry, and carry openly, because this is the segment of the population that is more educated, calmer, more circumspect, slower to anger, more mature and wiser (for the most part) and doing so would have an effect on society similar to 'an armed society is a polite society', IMO.

I'm talking about retired civil servants, retired professionals, lawyers, doctors, clinicians, and especially retired females. Let them open carry everywhere and across state lines. What's the problem? It wouldn't be one that separates states now (variations in 'training').

Heck, I think the state should buy all retired females who want to carry, pink handled revolvers, and free training if they want it. (no BG is gonna 'steal' a pink gun, after all, lol)

The state should pay for it AND give them pink revolvers? Except for that, I see no reason why seniors shouldn't own firearms. My mom's been contemplating it. She just can't decide what she wants.

Personally I think all pink firearms should be outlawed. :banana:

On a side note, aren't seniors just as "enabled" as the rest of us to carry and/or own firearms as the rest of us? I haven't heard of any age restrictions when it comes to gun ownership.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I would love to see how you are going to finance pink revolvers for the ladies without jacking around their Social Security checks.:uhoh:

Seriously, if seniors want to be armed they can save up just like the youngsters do and buy their own darned guns - and hopefully ones without mandatory pink stocks. By virtue of being old, seniors should have figured out by this time whether or not there is some advantage to be had by getting a gun and toting it around all day. If they have not armed themselves by this time it seems to be a sign that they determined that there was no advantage. Let them deal with the consequences - at least they had a chance, unlike many folks who do understand but are under the legal age to posses/carry.

As for the "argument" that some seniors should not be allowed to posses a firearm - that is said about every age group. Anyone that posseses a firearm must consider whether or not there are circumstances that make them unsafe to continue possesing that firearm - be it physical infirmity, mental state, or anything else. If the government starts putting firearms in the hands of folks who are not in the military the government will start taking firearms out of the hands of folks as well. (Gee, ya think so, skid? /sarcasm) it's bad enough now - let's not give them more power and control just to feel good about Grandpa and Grandma.

stay safe.

Jack House

I had to go back and reread, but I confirmed it. Not a single post in this thread stated that seniors should be barred from ownership, the most that was said was that welfare checks in the form of a gun was not a good idea.

Again, I believe everyone has the right to own and carry a gun for whatever lawful* purpose they so chose.

*I know that lawful is ambiguous, what I meant was that they don't plan on using it to commit a crime, IE theft, kidnapping, rape, murder etc.

hermannr

As an armed senior citizen, that has OC and occationally CC for over 40 years...I also know several other seniors that carry, and some that own guns, but do not see the need to carry, and some that are flat against guns.

NO SPECIAL GROUPS!!!! Everyone should be able to carry, if they wish, where they wish....and if they do not wish to do so, that is fine with me too. What I do not want to see is any special treatment for any particular group of people.

A small town close to where I live has it right. They require everyone to own a gun, and carry it if possible (they do not have a town police force) HOWEVER! There is no penility for not complying with this law. It is more of a statement, rather than the force of ordanance.

There are just too many variables for a one size fits all solution. The best solution is allow everyone to make their own individual choice as to carry or not. The only restriction should be on imposing one person's ideas on another person or group. Don't freak out when you see my carry, and I won't freak out when I see you have no way to defend yourself.

As the Amish said during the revolutionary war..."protect us...as we will not protect ourselves" That was their choice.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Sorry....No Special treatment for a a class of people. Should they be able to own one? Yep...but not funded at my expense and given special consideration just because (Fill in the BLANK).

Both my grandfathers believed in being armed, one was a preacher. After they passed, their wives carried on. I have one 88 y/o grandmother left whose eyesight is so bad she could hit the broad side of the barn; but would should scare the crap out of someone. The nursing home we just put her in wouldn't allow her to bring her pistol..she wasn't happy. :mad: She still asks me to sneak it in to her! :D

SirTiger

I mentioned this topic buried in another thread but I think it deserves its own post.

Of course, we don't want people who are infirm mentally, the truly elderly to be armed irresponsibly, but otherwise I think it's a brilliant proposition.

I was never good at math but age = wisdom? I don't think so.

since9

Campaign Veteran

*I'm talking about retired civil servants, retired professionals, lawyers, doctors, clinicians, and especially retired females. Let them open carry everywhere and across state lines. What's the problem? It wouldn't be one that separates states now (variations in 'training').

Hey, Badger? What do you think of us retired military who've learned a few lessons over the years with respect to keeping a cool head? I've carried for 23 years, and have OC'd for more than 2 years. No issues. Ok by you?

You mentioned a lot of professions, here *, but didn't mention one of the few professions in our country which has proven themselves through thick and thin, able to keep composure in the worst of it, and able to come home again.

"Worthless because we are military?" If so, you're seriously missing the boat. If not, I welcome your dialogue.

RPGamingGirl

I'm not sure about encouraging seniors, who otherwise wouldn't be inclined to arm themselves, to do so. The ones that already are armed though? More power to them.

Here's an idea: get to know the senior citizens around you. Listen to their stories, learn from their experiences. Find out what the current situation is. Does he or she have a reliable weapon, but fear using it because they're too arthritic to take it apart and clean it properly? Offer your time and help them out. Are they on a severely fixed income? A box of ammo would make a suitable and thoughtful Christmas (or 'thank you for telling your stories') gift.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure about encouraging seniors, who otherwise wouldn't be inclined to arm themselves, to do so. The ones that already are armed though? More power to them.

I like this approach. By the time they're seniors, if they'd had an inclinations to start carrying, they'd probably have done so. They don't need convincing. They deserve our respect.

Here's an idea: get to know the senior citizens around you. Listen to their stories, learn from their experiences. Find out what the current situation is. Does he or she have a reliable weapon, but fear using it because they're too arthritic to take it apart and clean it properly? Offer your time and help them out. Are they on a severely fixed income? A box of ammo would make a suitable and thoughtful Christmas (or 'thank you for telling your stories') gift.

I think your idea is wonderful!

Badger Johnson

I think everyone is missing my point.

Who needs to have a firearm to level the playing field? Seniors, retirees, disabled persons, females.

If we had this mantra, the gubmint might see how predators prey on such people. There's enough confiscated HGs so no tax dollars would need to be spent.

I'm not suggesting that we force seniors to carry if they have no inclination, but I think the gubmint, if faced with the problem might be convinced to allow people in that group to carry unrestricted in all the states.

I have to bow, though to the statistics above, if they didn't protect our 2A rights maybe they shouldn't be armed and deserve to die cowering in the back of a 7-11, IDK. I know when I was young and hot-headed it might have been a problem, but now, I am older, slower, but more introspective and cautious.

If not seniors and retirees, ex-civil servants, then who? Everyone? Sure but how do we get there?

PistolPackingMomma

I think everyone is missing my point.

Who needs to have a firearm to level the playing field? Seniors, retirees, disabled persons, females.

If we had this mantra, the gubmint might see how predators prey on such people. There's enough confiscated HGs so no tax dollars would need to be spent.

I'm not suggesting that we force seniors to carry if they have no inclination, but I think the gubmint, if faced with the problem might be convinced to allow people in that group to carry unrestricted in all the states.

I have to bow, though to the statistics above, if they didn't protect our 2A rights maybe they shouldn't be armed and deserve to die cowering in the back of a 7-11, IDK. I know when I was young and hot-headed it might have been a problem, but now, I am older, slower, but more introspective and cautious.

If not seniors and retirees, ex-civil servants, then who? Everyone? Sure but how do we get there?

I get it, I just don't agree with you.

Why are senior citizens a special group? Age? Maturity? So now the gubbermint gets to use these qualifying factors to determine who gets to exercise their 2A rights? Noooo thanks.

No infringements, no special privileges, no discrimination.