• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weird Sign posted

v8shoguy

imported post

Drove by the door and saw a sign saying "Concealed Weapons Prohibited, as defined by KRS 237.110, Violators will be prosecuted." I was prepared to make a trip back to the car when I parked and walked in with my OC. Interestingly enough, not a word was said even though the place was crawling with LEOs. The only people who had anything to say about it asked me why, and they were friends of my brother. I told them that I am a law-abiding citizen and I refuse to be a victim, and also that I would protect them aswell if something happened. One idiot thought it would be a good idea to reach towards my holster, he almost got his wrist broken. I explained to him that it was a very VERY bad idea to do that and that he would do good to remember that it is a very good way to get hurt, no matter what your true intentions are. It only gets touched if it's getting used.

Flash forward to the drive home, I got pulled over by Louisville Metro PD driving a Dodge minivan. He asked for my license, I handed it to him, then he asked for the insurance card. I then informed him that there was a weapon in the glovebox. I'm not sure what the "proper" procedure is, but I felt that it was a good idea to allow the officer to remove the weapon from the car, with the understanding that I was to get it back. Immediately asked me if I had a CCDW permit, I said no.Nothingelse wassaid about thepistol. They ran my brother and I for warrants, asked him what he was doing hanging out with someone who is 21 (he's 17) and asked us if we had any weed, cocaine, or other weapons in the car. He then told us to slow down and have a good night. 10 minutes tops, very polite officers.

It was nice to have a night out and not recieve hassle from LEOs about OC and carrying in general.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
Drove by the door and saw a sign saying "Concealed Weapons Prohibited, as defined by KRS 237.110, Violators will be prosecuted." I was prepared to make a trip back to the car when I parked and walked in with my OC. Interestingly enough, not a word was said even though the place was crawling with LEOs. The only people who had anything to say about it asked me why, and they were friends of my brother. I told them that I am a law-abiding citizen and I refuse to be a victim, and also that I would protect them aswell if something happened. One idiot thought it would be a good idea to reach towards my holster, he almost got his wrist broken. I explained to him that it was a very VERY bad idea to do that and that he would do good to remember that it is a very good way to get hurt, no matter what your true intentions are. It only gets touched if it's getting used.

Flash forward to the drive home, I got pulled over by Louisville Metro PD driving a Dodge minivan. He asked for my license, I handed it to him, then he asked for the insurance card. I then informed him that there was a weapon in the glovebox. I'm not sure what the "proper" procedure is, but I felt that it was a good idea to allow the officer to remove the weapon from the car, with the understanding that I was to get it back. Immediately asked me if I had a CCDW permit, I said no.Nothingelse wassaid about thepistol. They ran my brother and I for warrants, asked him what he was doing hanging out with someone who is 21 (he's 17) and asked us if we had any weed, cocaine, or other weapons in the car. He then told us to slow down and have a good night. 10 minutes tops, very polite officers.

It was nice to have a night out and not recieve hassle from LEOs about OC and carrying in general.
:what:

Running passengers now? 17 year olds are suspicious because they are with 21 year olds? You didn't get lost and end up in Cold War era East Berlin did you?

Is this normal in Kentucky or did you just run into some Hitler wanna-be?

LoveMyCountry

v8shoguy

imported post

It was 12:30 and I might have been over the speed limit by 5 or so, there was no radar in the vehicles. They told my brother that they saw us pull out of a parking lot and thought we might have stolen something. Oh well, I don't mind gettin stopped every once in a while for routine, no ticket kinda stuff.

I got caught up in "east berlin" once and the officer was 110% sure I was drunk. I guess he forgot that shining a flashlight in someone's eyes makes them appear a bit disoriented. I went through the counting and the alphabet, and the walk the line. 6 other cop cars showed up and surrounded my car shortly after that at 2 AM, just so we could all get outside and watch 0.00 show up on the breathalyzer. I got a ticket for getting off the interstate before stopping, even though I told him it was dangerous for both of us to sit on the shoulder. I called internal affairs because I felt I was treated unfairly, and theinvestigator knew his name as soon as I said the badge #. Dead giveaway that the guy was a crappy LEO.

Most LEOs in KY are curteous. I've stopped several times at places where LEOs were present and have never been hassled about my OC.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
Drove by the door and saw a sign saying "Concealed Weapons Prohibited, as defined by KRS 237.110, Violators will be prosecuted." I was prepared to make a trip back to the car when I parked and walked in with my OC. Interestingly enough, not a word was said even though the place was crawling with LEOs. The only people who had anything to say about it asked me why, and they were friends of my brother.

I don't think it was a weird sign, just an advisement that the mall doesn't want to allow firearms or weapons to be carried by civilianson its property. Although it's possible that the mall's policy is "no concealed carry, but open carry is OK," I tend to doubt it. The mall is more likely just not enforcing its policy thoroughly and just missed noticing you. And whoever drafted the sign text probably just didn't think or know about open carry, so they only specified "concealed" weapons.

One way to find out would be to go to the mall and open carry again. Then stop by the security station and ask them if you're "OK."

If the mall's policy is actually "no guns allowed," they will inform you of such and then you can tell them what your objections to that might be and that you won't shop there again, etc.

v8shoguy

imported post

I don't think it was a weird sign, just an advisement that the mall doesn't want to allow firearms or weapons to be carried by civilians on its property. Although it's possible that the mall's policy is "no concealed carry, but open carry is OK," I tend to doubt it. The mall is more likely just not enforcing its policy thoroughly and just missed noticing you. And whoever drafted the sign text probably just didn't think or know about open carry, so they only specified "concealed" weapons. One way to find out would be to go to the mall and open carry again. Then stop by the security station and ask them if you're "OK." If the mall's policy is actually "no guns allowed," they will inform you of such and then you can tell them what your objections to that might be and that you won't shop there again, etc
That was the weird thing. Every other place I've seen would have a sign saying "no deadly weapons." The interesting thing is that the sign is actually illegal, because KRS 527.020 tells me that a concealed permit holder can legally carry concealed anywhere a person can carry unconcealed.

KRS 527.020 subsection 4:
Persons, except those specified in subsection (5) of this section, licensed to carry a
concealed deadly weapon pursuant to KRS 237.110 may carry a firearm or other
concealed deadly weapon on or about their persons at all times within the
Commonwealth of Kentucky, if the firearm or concealed deadly weapon is carried
in conformity with the requirements of that section. Unless otherwise specifically
provided by the Kentucky Revised Statutes or applicable federal law, no criminal
penalty shall attach to carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon with a permit at any location at which an unconcealed firearm or other deadly weapon may be constitutionally carried.
No person or organization, public or private, shall
prohibit a person licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon from possessing a
firearm, ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in his or her vehicle in
compliance with the provisions of KRS 237.110 and 237.115. Any attempt by a
person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction.

huh... I love uninformed business owners.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
It was 12:30 and I might have been over the speed limit by 5 or so, there was no radar in the vehicles. They told my brother that they saw us pull out of a parking lot and thought we might have stolen something. Oh well, I don't mind gettin stopped every once in a while for routine, no ticket kinda stuff.
So pulling out of a parking lot is enough to make the Police suspicious that you have stolen something? :shock:

If you are getting pulled over routinely, either you are commiting a lot of minorcrimes or the police are on a fishing trip. The first one you can fix and if it's the second one, you need to deal with it.

That would get me a bit :cuss:.

LoveMyCountry

teknoid

imported post

v8shoguy wrote:

This is bogus. By law, all they can do is ask you to leave. If you do, there is no law broken. KRS 237.110 has no content aplicible unless it is in one of these:

[align=left]A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:[/align]
  • [align=left]Police station or sheriff’s office. [/align]
  • [align=left]Detention facility, prison or jail. [/align]
  • [align=left]Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding). [/align]
  • [align=left]County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings. [/align]
  • [align=left]Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district. [/align]
  • [align=left]General Assembly session, including committee meetings. [/align]
  • [align=left]Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose. [/align]
  • [align=left]Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities). [/align]
  • [align=left]Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home. [/align]
  • [align=left]Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property. [/align]
  • [align=left]Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm. [/align]
Everywhere else carries no penalty, posted or not.

joeroket

imported post

The way I see it isthe signsays that they don't want you carrying concealed unless you have a license. Any person caught carrying without one will be prosecuted.

Kind of a no brainer since it is agaiinst the law to carry concealed without a license.

KRS 237.110 deals with the license to carry a concealed deadly weapon. So they just want you to obey the law is my take.

AbsolutZer0

imported post

As far as I can tell there is no compulsion to obey a posted sign of a privatley owned business if they are not a facility recognized by KRS 237.110

The owner, business or commercial lessee, or manager of a private business
enterprise, day-care center
as defined in KRS 199.894 or certified or licensed family child-care home as defined in KRS 199.8982, or a health-care facility licensed under KRS Chapter 216B, except facilities renting or leasing housing, may prohibit persons holding concealed deadly weapon licenses from carrying concealed deadly
weapons on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the
employer, holding concealed deadly weapons licenses from carrying concealed
deadly weapons on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are
open to the public, the employer or business enterprise shall post signs on or about
the premises if carrying concealed weapons is prohibited. Possession of weapons, or
ammunition, or both in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so
long as the weapons, or ammunition, or both are not removed from the vehicle or
brandished while the vehicle is on the premises.
A private but not a public employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employer, but may not prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed deadly weapons license from carrying concealed deadly weapons, or ammunition, or both in vehicles owned by the employee, except that the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet may prohibit an employee from carrying any weapons, or ammunition, or both other than the weapons, or ammunition, or both issued or authorized to be used by the employee of the cabinet, in a vehicle while transporting persons under the employee's supervision or jurisdiction. Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in this subsection by a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial from the premises or removal from the premises, and, if an employee of an employer, disciplinary measures by the employer.

Let me break it down
**You can take your friearm into almost any public or priavte business, so long as it is not a day care center, group home or health care facility (ie Hospital).

** You can leave your gun in your car while your visiting mom at the hospital but leave it in the car.

**Your boss can't prohibit you from keeping your pistol in your car while your at work. But he can prevent you from transporting it in a company vehicle.

**Your land lord cannot prohibit you from owning a firearm in your home.

Mall's are not so lucky. they flash the fancy KRS sign and since most people don't actually read it they assume the mall falls under this statute...and it doesn't.

rentamedic

imported post

i like to know something about the statefair and down town louisville when Thunder Over Louisville is going on been told over and over i can not have my gun even with my ccdw so what are the facts on this

reefteach

imported post

OH = Ohio

KY= Kentucky

the river= the Ohio River

signs = In Ohio, many places post ugly signs resembling a gun in a circle with a diagonal line through it. Usually a referance to the Ohio Revised Code is included on them. In Ohio, going in armed may result in a charge of tresspasing. In KY the signs carry no legal weight. It is very funny to see signs in KY which reference Ohio laws.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
I don't think it was a weird sign, just an advisement that the mall doesn't want to allow firearms or weapons to be carried by civilians on its property. Although it's possible that the mall's policy is "no concealed carry, but open carry is OK," I tend to doubt it. The mall is more likely just not enforcing its policy thoroughly and just missed noticing you. And whoever drafted the sign text probably just didn't think or know about open carry, so they only specified "concealed" weapons. One way to find out would be to go to the mall and open carry again. Then stop by the security station and ask them if you're "OK." If the mall's policy is actually "no guns allowed," they will inform you of such and then you can tell them what your objections to that might be and that you won't shop there again, etc
That was the weird thing. Every other place I've seen would have a sign saying "no deadly weapons." The interesting thing is that the sign is actually illegal, because KRS 527.020 tells me that a concealed permit holder can legally carry concealed anywhere a person can carry unconcealed.

KRS 527.020 subsection 4:
Persons, except those specified in subsection (5) of this section, licensed to carry a
concealed deadly weapon pursuant to KRS 237.110 may carry a firearm or other
concealed deadly weapon on or about their persons at all times within the
Commonwealth of Kentucky, if the firearm or concealed deadly weapon is carried
in conformity with the requirements of that section. Unless otherwise specifically
provided by the Kentucky Revised Statutes or applicable federal law, no criminal
penalty shall attach to carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon with a permit at any location at which an unconcealed firearm or other deadly weapon may be constitutionally carried.
No person or organization, public or private, shall
prohibit a person licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon from possessing a
firearm, ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in his or her vehicle in
compliance with the provisions of KRS 237.110 and 237.115. Any attempt by a
person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction.

huh... I love uninformed business owners.

"Public or Private" is the part of the written law that I like (in KY).

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

v8shoguy

imported post

The problem with the sign is that it's against the law. In Kentucky there are "carry zones" and "no carry zones." The law makes no distinction between OC and CC areas. In fact, it goes out of its way to establish that anywhere you can OC you can CC. If the sign says no CC then its illegal.

superdemon

imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
The problem with the sign is that it's against the law. In Kentucky there are "carry zones" and "no carry zones." The law makes no distinction between OC and CC areas. In fact, it goes out of its way to establish that anywhere you can OC you can CC. If the sign says no CC then its illegal.

It's not "illegal" as much as it is "wrong". Any private business can make it clear that they don't welcome concealed carry, open carry, or whatever. If it is "prohibited", it simply means it is prohibitied by the store's policy, not law.

Any private establishment has the right to refuse service to anyone, as long as it is not "discriminatory" (sp?) on the basis of race, sex, religion, etc.